308 Ultimatum + AICS build

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Hamo, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Hamo

Hamo

I have been shooting palma for a long time, and although I have a few farm rifles, I have always had my eye out for an accurate varmint gun. I got a .338 lapua a few years back and its shoots great, but its expensive to shoot, and not the most pleasant on the shoulder. I wanted a mag fed .308 that would deliver supreme accuracy.

In Australia a custom action is expensive, ususally well over $2000 for something reputable. Gunsmiths are hard to find, and usually have a 6 month waiting list. A custom rifle build is a pain in the ass. So, when I saw Ultimatum's U300 up for sale for a shade under $700 i had no choice but to try it out. I'd read that there was a heavy bolt lift, but had heard it was otherwise a good action. I'm guessing they shipped a bunch of them down here before production got changed to their new deadline action. The U300 arrived and I have to say it was very well made. I had dual ejectors on my bolt face which from what i hear means it was a late production model, and the bolt lift had been addressed. it also has the Savage barrel threads which is a bonus.

Not a few days later a perfect TSE fluted barrel in .30 cal came up for halfprice online and I took the plunge - originally purchased for a different project that the owner never went ahead with.

I had wanted a McMillan or a Manners stock, but lead times and getting the right stock can be tricky. A grayboe was a good alternative and I was ready to commit, when an Accuracy international stock came up, an unwanted prize, and I thought it would be a great combination. The stock arrived a few days later. I booked the gunsmith who had an opening in 3 weeks to chamber the barrel. I have a triggertech on the lapua and was happy with it so ordered another for this build

All of a sudden I had a custom rifle built and ready to fire only a month after I spontaneously bought the action. Seemed like everything fell into place for once. The stock took a bit of massaging to fit in. The trigger hanger on the U300 interferred a little, and the mag release needed a little removed for the mags to fit properly.

The only scope I had that wasn't mounted was a 4-12 Bushnell. A great scope but not particularly suited to tight groups. The picture is clear but the reticle is too thick to get a really good group. I'll address this problem in a few more paychecks time.

I ran the barrel in and started to lay down some groups at 100m with factory ammo. Printing some sub MOA groups easily, but not clovers.

I took it back to 300m and really started to be impressed. There was a 10-15 knott crosswind, which was steady and not gusting too much. What astonished me was that the group size didn't change a whole lot compared to 100. I think it was to do with my aiming mark and the scope dictating the group size, not the rifle. But I have to say, i definitely started to enjoy the rifle at 300. It was shooting well under .5MOA at 300 with factory loads.

All up an Accuracy international AT costs around $6500, I managed to have a similar rifle for less than half of that. I think I chose well

[​IMG]

300m group
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Hope the photos worked. seem to be troublesome

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

That's a nice looking stick. When will we get to see a range report?

PS. When I clicked on the first pic I got girls with big boobs.

Hamo and DirtySteve like this.
  3. Wingnut00

Wingnut00 Silver $$ Contributor

Liar! I clicked a couple times.

Good lookin rifle. I like my AI’s.

Hamo and KMart like this.
  4. Hamo

Hamo

managed to get the pics to work a bit better - well, by better, they don't link to big boobs anymore. So that may be better, or worse

Group is at 300m

Attached Files:

Nature Boy likes this.
  5. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

That's pretty good shooting for factory ammo.

The stick is long and should work well in FT-R. Now to save some pennies for decent glass and you'll be set !

Hamo likes this.
  6. bobinpa

bobinpa Silver $$ Contributor

The group isn't bad but you missed the coin:rolleyes:.

Hamo likes this.
  7. Hamo

Hamo

I was tempted to aim for it but there was a finger in the way!

bobinpa, Ned Ludd and snert like this.
  8. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Impressive shooting for 300 yds. Very nice looking rifle! :D:D

Paul

Hamo likes this.
  9. Hamo

Hamo

Had a bit of a shot today. Factory ammo. Still have the low powered Bushnell on it. The glass is quite nice but the cross hairs are fat and block whatever you're aiming at. Still managed some nice groups (5 shot groups) at 107 metres. Unfortunately its 107 as there was a nice puddle at the 100m mark and i wasn't in the mood to get wet

I called a flyer on the left hand group - the gun is shooting well, much better than me!

Attached Files:

Nature Boy likes this.