.308 Remington 700 5R with custom JCB Stock Amazing!!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Dave Lund, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

2. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

It's a tack driver. 1000 yard weapon. Bruis scope and custom loads. I love my custom JCB custom stock it does the job!!

msinc and joshb like this.
  3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Sure looks like a Sightron SIII 10-50 with “Burris” rings, to me.;)
    Did you glue foam rubber to the cheek piece?:mad::eek:

Folks, let me introduce one of the kids I’ve been mentoring. He’s been into pistol shooting for a long time. He’s pretty good at it. I’ve been pushing him to shoot more with rifles. I gave him some reloading gear and a few pointers. He’s out in Indiana, working on it. He just qualified at 1000 yards at his local range with a factory Remington 5r 308 barreled action. (In one of my stocks) The guy has talent. I wish we lived closer to each other. He just started reloading for his rifle this past summer.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Bc'z, New Gun, msinc and 4 others like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Aint no better dude than josh and he sure makes some nice stocks!!

msinc and 300_whisper like this.
  5. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

Yes he does!!! Make no mistake without his help It would not have happened. Hardware advice and technical knowhow. Josh is the real deal, and his stock are awesome too. I can't even begin to count the number of positive comments I have received on this stock. Better yet it has helped me get to the next level. 1000 yards was a goal I had on my bucket list. Now it's how tight can I get the groups. Thanks for all your help Josh..Couldn't have done it without you. Lundy.......

boltfluter and daleboy like this.
  6. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

Oh and yes I did the unthinkable and put a small thin piece of foam on the cheek rest.

joshb likes this.
  7. joshb

Well, it’s yours and you can do what you like with it. I’m betting you find it more comfortable to shoot that way. I’ve gotten over my initial reaction of horror.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D
    What range is that? It looks like Hillside.What load have you settled on? How big is the steel target you’re bangin?

Bulletman likes this.
  8. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

It is Hillside here in In. Just south of Fort Wayne. I have not yet landed on a combo. still working on charge and bullet weight. Not sure on the size of the target but you can't see it from the photo. You can only see the 600. I'll keep you posted.

joshb likes this.
  9. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

I'll post additional photos in the future. Planning on getting out this weekend.

joshb likes this.
  10. joshb

Did you get your 155s?

11. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

That is a very nice looking stock! Josh is the man! Looks even better as a completed rifle. Good luck with your endeavor .:D:D

Paul

12. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Beautiful rifle,and great to see your enthusiasm ...I must say though,I would have glued foam to my face before I would have put foam on that gorgeous stock.:D

snert, Dave Lund and joshb like this.
  13. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

Went out today with stiff wind in my face and was killing it at 880 and 600 but could not connect at 1000. I was shooting 168's with 44gn Varget and could not seem to connect. Looking for advice on next steps if anyone has any. Keep in mind the target is the size of a stop sign but that is plenty big enough.

mike278 likes this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

A 168 at 1000yd is a voodoo thing. Doubt you could hit a house much less a stop sign. Switch to a 175 and youll be golden

snert and AckleymanII like this.
  15. joshb

Hey Dave: I thought we had this talk. The 168s were for shooting 600 or less. You’re pushing them at 880. They’re prolly going subsonic before reaching 1000 and dropping like a brick. Did you run out of the 150s? Did you get the 155s?
    Hopefully some one with more experience than me can chime in and help out.
    There is also this program you can buy called “Quickload” that would shed some light.
    Nice shooting, tho!;)

16. joshb

Can the 175 hold it’s speed at a grand? I thought the conventional wisdom was to go to the 155s.

17. Dusty Stevens

Yes they work fine

rr2030 and Lone Hunter like this.
  18. dhamby

dhamby

Go to 175-185’s for shooting out to 1k. The higher BC will help with retaining the velocity and make the transition through transonic flight much better.

19. Dave Lund

Dave Lund

Thank you for the advice. I have some 155's I'm going to load up along with some 178 and 180's. I'll let you know how it goes. Going to load to 43.5 and 44 Varget on LC brass with CCI primers. Probably not going to get back to the range until thanksgiving weekend so stay tuned. Dave

20. joshb

Hey Dave: I have several boxes of 178s if you want them. I’m glad you’re posting and getting advice from guys who’ve done it. I’m stuck at 500!:mad:

LAH and Dusty Stevens like this.