308 LC Brass Question

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by KnifeHandler, Sep 20, 2012.

1. KnifeHandler

KnifeHandler

I have some LC brass in 308 and was wondering what the difference was. It's year is 82'. One batch says "Match" on it and the other has the letters "NM" on it, I think it stands for National Match. The batch with the "NM" also has a ring around the outside of the brass where the web is that looks like it's been knurled at the manufacture, but not as deep. I just wanted some information on this, as I'm going to use it to make a wildcat and would rather keep the better brass as is. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance

2. HPMike800

HPMike800

NM and Match mean the same thing and the only diffrence with regular LC brass is that the primer pockets are not crimped. The match designation denotes the load componenets which were for target shooting and not suitible for combat.

3. 243winxb

243winxb

4. KnifeHandler

KnifeHandler

Thank you for all the helpful information. I'm now a little wiser and know what brass I'll be using for my wildcat.

Thanks again for your fast replies

5. Will

Will Site $$ Contributor

Kep the "Match & NM" as is ... use generic LC for any wildcatting. Supposedly the NM was held to closer tolerances ... My last NM was 82 and is still going strong after 10 reloads. LC LR is another good brass but varies from lot to lot.

6. dibbs

dibbs Site $$ Contributor

My LC brass weighs about 20 grains more than standard Winchester or others. Result is lower case capacity, and my experience in a standard .308 that I get slightly lower velocities because I have to reduce my loads ~2 grains. You may want to consider this when working on your wildcat. YMMV