300WM brass question

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by XTR, Apr 18, 2019.

1. XTR

XTR

Seems the choices these days are:

Win
    Federal
    Hornady
    Prvi

Which is better?

2. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

NORMA

dogdude likes this.
  3. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Silver $$ Contributor

ADG if you can find it.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  4. Gb300wm

Gb300wm

Nosler is pretty good too

5. miningshawn

miningshawn Gold $$ Contributor

Just picked up Sig .300 WM brass (2 bags of 50). I have used Sig (Starline) brass in .223, .308, and 9mm - These have been really good to me. I wonder what the source is? I will give them a closer look when I get home in a couple of weeks - weigh, measure, sort, etc...
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on these and I have been struggling along with Hornady for to long.

6. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

The original SIG 300 wm brass was made by ADG and is very good brass. Then SIG started manufacturing their own, or so they said, 3 years ago. ADG confirmed they made the original.

I've had excellent results with ADG 300wm and SAUM cases. The Starline has been good so far in 6.5 CM, but don't have enough firings yet. All other rifles get Lapua, Norma or Nosler.

Zero333 likes this.
  7. Ares

Ares

RWS and Norma are the best brass you will find for the 300 WM simple as that.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  8. BronzeArcher

BronzeArcher

Nosler was disappointing. Moderate loads - primer pockets useless after 3-4 firings.

Norma is better.

9. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

Of the ones you listed, I would go with Hornady. I've used their brass in several other cartridges and although they are certainly not in the Laupa/Norma class they gave me decent case life and accuracy. Never tried Prvi

10. XTR

XTR

The ones I listed are the only ones that I seem to be able to find right now. Considering wait listing for some ADG

11. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Silver $$ Contributor

Winchester that's on your list.

12. spaniel

spaniel

Winchester USED to be the best bang for your buck. It's all I load for 300WM. That said, since the bag changed colors ALL of their bottleneck brass has gone to complete crap. I won't buy it for any round anymore, terrible QC. When I exhaust my current brass I'll be asking this same question....

FatBoy likes this.
  13. Gb300wm

Gb300wm

14. XTR

XTR

Ouch, $3 a case for RWS.

15. Alaska_Seth

Alaska_Seth

RWS! Take a look at the Egun.de site and buy some once fired RWS Cineshot. You can usually get it for $40-50 shipped to the USA per 200. Sometimes more sometimes less.

16. XTR

XTR

Norma popped up at Brownells tonight. ... done ...

17. Wildcat455

Wildcat455

Happy to hear you picked up some Norma from Brownells.

I did the same for 1 of my 300 Win Mag rifles and it’s due to hit my door on Monday. Only reason I went with it in that particular rifle is it’s case volume allows me to shoot the 215 Berger. I believe the factory Berger 215’s are all loaded on Norma brass with Ramshot Magnum powder.

All my other 300 Win Mag rifles are being phased into ADG brass.

I’ve run all the brass at one time or another in your original post, and if I had to pick one of those, it would be Federal.

The Federal cases are decently dimensionally consistent, weight variations are barely acceptable, volume ranges from 91-92 grains of water in the cases I have, which were factory loaded with 180 gr power points (I use them for barrel break in and coyotes.) They are soft, but since I’m using them up and moving on, I don’t mind the low reload count.

Last couple bags of Winchester I bought had an extreme case weight spread of 10 grains, which is about equivalent to PPU.
    They are all basically junk, unless you buy in large quantity and sort/cull and take a big hit on that process.

Last batch of Hornady brass all had excessively short necks. The cases after fire forming were all about 2.600” in length. I may still have some hunting rounds I loaded up in these that I’ll just be tossing the brass after firing them.

Federal seems to be holding up ok in my Ruger RPR 300 Win Mag. The case capacity of these will make switching to ADG a little easier as the volume is about the same.

BTW, I half suspect Barnes brass is made by Norma. I have a few of them and can’t tell them apart aside from the head stamp.

seymour fish likes this.
  18. Chocdawg

Chocdawg Silver $$ Contributor

PRVI will head separate between 3 or 4 firings. However, did shoot some good matches with it @ 600 & 1000 yards. Just a cost of doing business.

19. dblizzard

dblizzard

Norma is working well for me, less than .001 variation in wall thickness per case.

20. JamesnTN

JamesnTN Silver $$ Contributor

Nope
    RWS & Lapua would be the top 2 choices hands down