300 Win Mag Problem....? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by daniel brothers, Aug 9, 2018.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Silver $$ Contributor

I loaded up several rounds for my Buddie's Savage Steven 300 win mag sporter barrel, and it shot these reloads very well, but after awhile he started shooting it alot...HOT... since the ammo was free. It started spraying bullets 3-6" wild. Heavy barrel cleaning made no difference. I screwed on two different used 300 sporter barrels, but still no difference... but I'm not sure of those barrels condition either. But surely 3 barrels can't all be doing the same thing....CAN THEY?

We had installed a Boyd laminated stock on it prior to it's going crazy, and it shot pretty good. Since this problem arose, I've rebedded it, opened up the barrel channel, did all I can think of with the stock. I was going to try his old stock but he discarded it...DUH. I am at my wit's end with this thing. I'm ready to buy a factory stock to rule out that problem, and to buy a new/used barrel... maybe something besides a sporter.... or whatever. I've got to get this thing fixed while I still have hairs in my head. Please help me with your knowledge.... or stocks or barrels. Thanks....Dan

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Maybe scope or mounts? Matt

hogpatrol, Slim13 and Lone Hunter like this.
  3. daniel brothers

I've tried different quality scopes... and even a couple of new scopes... and diff rings... but not bases... they are the two piece weaver split bases. They seem super tight as I've messed with them as well.

This thing was shooting good for him with his factory rounds... dumming me thought I'd help him out with a lot of reloads... which shot good for awhile, even in the new stock. He shot it one summer day about 30 rds straight.... (barrel must have been HOT) ... he was happy, even out to 300 yds. Then after that outing, it sprayed the rounds all over for him. A few days later i took it and shot it 20 times, and was happy with it... gave it back to him... and it sprayed again... I then took it back again.. and it sprayed for me as well... and this is where Ive been ever since.
    I cleaned it super dupper clean. It seemed to shoot well for a couple of shots, then went back to spraying. It seems like the same thing happens with all three used barrels... both with factory and my reloads..... and my reloads are good ones.... but this rifle is making me out to be a liar...LOL. I would have been tickled if his factory rds shot great... but they didn't.

It must be the barrel. I guess I'll make a WTB thread for another barrel because it seemed to get worse and worse the more it was shot. thanks Guys.

4. mtang45

mtang45 Gold $$ Contributor

Have you actually looked in the barrel with a bore scope?

5. daniel brothers

I used a borescope on all barrels and they were dirty. I super brushed them all to a mirror finish clean before I started all this mess of changing out barrels.

6. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Do you have a measurement (CBTO) to the lands when all this started fresh? Could be that he has shot the throat out and needs to seat the bullets further out.

After trying that, I would hand the rifle back to him, give him that blank look, and shrug my shoulders.

SWRichmond and hogpatrol like this.
  7. daniel brothers

I can't give it back with this problem because he will have no answer... and I just have to chase this cat until it trees. Throat wear was my first thought...but surely not in three barrels, all doing the same thing.

8. KMart

Yes it can, with the abuse he has dished out to 3 barrels. They may have all stopped shooting the same point because the throat eroded away.

hogpatrol likes this.
  9. XTR

XTR

I saw a sporter weight 243 start to melt the plastic stock at the recoil lug when someone tried to shoot it in an F class match. I can't imagine what that 300WM is doing to the barrel for 30 shot strings.

There is a reason that we all run 6lb barrels on competition rifles. We need the heat sink.

hogpatrol likes this.
  10. daniel brothers

I think I'll start a thread for buying another good used barrel.

11. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

have you checked headspace and the barrel nut for bein loose, sporter barrels are 3shots then stop maybe 5 if you go 30 to 45 seconds but not likely, my 300wimmag gets hot quick with a 1in dia barrel and H1000

hogpatrol likes this.
  12. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

In my humble opinion.............. that is WAY tooo much shooting....... and too quickly out of that caliber......
    bill larson

13. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Scratching my head so help me out here. What's the point in buying a used barrel, especially in that caliber? Sorry but that makes ZERO sense.

Willie, Bc'z and KMart like this.
  14. KMart

Same as another used/junkyard transmission for a race car.

Willie, Bc'z and hogpatrol like this.
  15. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Buy a new barrel and have it properly fitted. Used .300 Win Mag Barrels are something I’d stay away from.

hogpatrol and JamesinAsheville like this.
  16. daniel brothers

I agree with you guys that he shot it WAY to much and got it very HOT, and I'm sure that is why the accuracy started going wild on the original barrel. The two used ones I bought were headspaced properly... well within a piece of tape gap... and they started going wild as well. There is no way three barrels, even used, would all do the same thing, so there must be other problems. The barrel is super free floated.
    I'm all for changing calibers but he likes the 300 because it knocks bucks and boar hogs down in the dirt... which he does a lot of.

He is open to buying a new barrel if he could get one reasonably priced... or even a used one that somebody knows is good, but just set it aside.

I'm going to scrub the crap out this one barrel today and take written notes on how it shoots. The stock and action are tight. The mounts and rings are tight... while holding my Burris Mtac Scope... and I have fresh reloads that shot well in the beginning... which I think started the whole problem, because he it's accuracy and bang the gongs too long.

thanks Guys...Dan

17. Dave Hull

Dave Hull

Only thing I can immediately think of, aside what was said above ... did you change bullet manufacturer in there somewhere .. specifically "Berger".

This one was a real surprise to me. I'm used to either jamming my rounds into the lands 0.020", or jumping about 0.010" - I ran SMK's and SGK's.
    Switched to Bergers (210VLD) and got some horrible verticle stringing out of my 300WM.
    Turns out Bergers like to jam .. or to jump .. and by jump .. I mean JUMP!
    I'm now jumping mine 0.0650" and they shoot like a dream.
    Food for thought.
    -D.

18. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Are ALL of your reloads CBTO tailored to each individual barrel you tried or are they one set length? As above, what brand and shape of bullets?

19. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac

One thing not mentioned, a super HOT barrel will also HEAT the front ring, recoil lug and bedding therein. HEAT will soften ALL bedding materials if it hot LONG ENOUGH to effect the hardening of said bedding epoxy.

I would be poking the bedding under the recoil lug with a pick to see if it has softened personally.

Cheers.
    o_O

20. Ringostar

Ringostar

Another possibility to check might be the firing pin spring. Throat erosion on original barrel can change the preferred seating depth. So the prior loads that shot good might be the wrong seating depth for all 3 barrels right now. Check bullet to rifling depth of all 3 barrels.