.30 Cal. Bullets not going into Fired Casing

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by centershot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 918v

918v

Winchester necks are on the hard side from the factory. After the second firing the case mouth should start curling inward. It is possible the casemouth is less than bullet diameter while the rest of the neck is closer to the chamber’s dimensions. Look closely at the neck. Measure the OD of the casemouth and the OD of the neck half way down to the shoulder.

spclark likes this.
  2. ImBIllT

ImBIllT Silver $$ Contributor

annealing softens brass. It does not harden it. The harder brass is, the more it springs back. The softer it is, the less it springs back.

3. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Read my post again. When i annealed them too hard, they got dead soft. The didn't spring back at all. Stayed tight in the chamber. The next firing without annealing they were ok. Matt

4. 918v

918v

Maybe you should rephrase your thought. Annealing too hard is an oxymoron. Annealing too much or too little sounds less confusing.

5. ImBIllT

ImBIllT Silver $$ Contributor

I read your post again. You didn’t say anything about them being too soft. 918V is on the right track if annealing too long is what you meant by “too hard”.

6. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

You can absolutely fire a case and have it snap back enough so that you basically never have to size the neck. I have a .30 BR with a very tight clearance (.001”) neck and you cannot fit bullets into fired cases ever. The brass just isn’t going plastic enough (or maybe at all). Whether or not this is a good idea is up for debate, but it was how the point blank benchrest crowd was doing things back when I had the rifle made. I no longer run clearances that small as I don’t believe they help, but yes, you can definitely make it work that way.