.30 Cal. Bullets not going into Fired Casing

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by centershot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Should the necks be turned on the casings? I always thought the bullets could be inserted into the fired casing. Not a custom chamber.

2. LitLBoy

LitLBoy Gold $$ Contributor

What Caliber and brass are you using?
    LitLBoy

3. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Maybe they are too long and being pinched by the front of chamber. Is it a factory rifle? Matt

JeffG818 likes this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

How many times fired?
    Usually when that happens it's because the neck is not springing back enough..
    Annealing should fix that...

Zero333, JeffG818 and spclark like this.
  5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

This a new rifle or one you bought from a prior owner?

I’ve always used the slip test to rest comfortably over proper neck clearance as well as chamber length. If a new bullet won’t just slip into a just-fired case neck there’s a reason and it needs to be addressed.

Can you push a bullet in with a little pressure (still too tight IMHO) or is it obvious it’s not gonna go in?

Does the neck rim show any evidence of a curve inward? (You don’t roll-crimp your reloads by chance? Not discussing use of factory-crimped cartridges?)

6. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Twice fired Winchester. Less than trim length. Factory rifle. No crimp.

7. wholman

wholman

I had this happen before on 204 brass. I annealed the cases
    and after that you could not push bullets into the fired cases
    till there 4 firing. My thought was I over annealed them.

8. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

When I annealed my Dasher brass too hard, they didn't spring back at all and extraction got harder. Matt

Zero333 likes this.
  9. rhovee

rhovee

I am curious what the verdict will be on this. I was talking to the smith yesterday about it. I have a 6.5wsm that has a .297 neck and I use 270wsm brass and neck down to .293 with a bushing. So loaded round is .2945. I can push a bullet into a fired case but it’s tough. I have to use a brush in there and then get on it. Same thing with my 28 Nosler. Curious how tight neck chambers shake out with accuracy and a .0045 chamber comparison.

10. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

How many shots fired without really cleaning chamber area? Could be carbon buildup. Matt

11. wedgy

wedgy Silver $$ Contributor

I had the same issue on a 7mm RUM but only on the lip of the case, as if I had crimped it but I hadn't. Borescope shows no carbon in chamber, I turned necks from 0.015" progressively down to 0.0125", annealed, then trimmed length down 0.010" at a time 3x and it still pinched the bullet after firing with RP and Nosler brass. It shoots great and doesn't show pressure but it bugs me. It is the only gun I have that does this, I've learned to live with it....

12. Ringostar

Ringostar

This is what I recently ran into.
    If you have .2945 loaded round in a .297 chamber, then you only have .0025 total clearance.

13. rhovee

rhovee

Would that be to tight of a neck? I could turn the brass but I am not set up for that...

14. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

That is about what I consider bare minimum. I lke at least .003, then you can have uneven necks which can change it. You also can have carbon in the neck area. I like to error on the side of safe. Matt

15. damoncali

damoncali Silver $$ Contributor

Hard brass and tight necks will do that. Never heard of it in a factory rifle, but I suppose anything is possible.

16. rhovee

rhovee

There might be some carbon in the necks. I haven’t been cleaning the necks off after they are fired. Accuracy fell off. About 75 rounds since I cleaned it. Thanks for the help.

17. Ringostar

Ringostar

With brass spring back after firing and your minimal clearance, it's probably what you are experiencing. I turn for a .004 total clearance in my 284. If you start to get a carbon build up in your chamber neck, it will get even tighter.

18. 243winxb

243winxb

Mid-range, lower pressure reloads may not expand necks. Example- 243 win, IMR 4350 powder, 68 gr Berger flat base bullets, factory chamber.

19. mr45man

mr45man Silver $$ Contributor

Bingo

20. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

And 284’s - whether ‘standard’ or a variation - seem to prefer more neck clearance than less, more like 0.0025” minimum, a difference of 0.005” total in dia.

All that gas wants to get OUT as quick & easy as possible.