.30 BR 155gr

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Trig., Jul 9, 2018.

1. Trig.

Trig.

Hello All,
    I am looking for people who have tried this and wanting there input in regards to load data, velocity and accuracy?

I have 22" 1-10 twist heavy varmint krieger 5R barrel here not being used, a trued Rem 700 action with bushed firing pin in a HS precision tactical stock fitted with jewel trigger and Leupold 6.5-20x50 scope that is not being used.

What i am intending to do is fit this barrel to this action and chamber it for .30 BR.

Running Quick load it looks like i should be able to get about 2500 fps with the 155gr bulles using H4198, at this speed the 155gr berger fullbore bullet reached 750m before dropping below mach 1.1

The idea with this combination is to punch paper out to 600m to get trigger time up without costing myself to much in doing so and get extremely long barrel life.

re Sam.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

A 30br wouldnt be my choice to shoot 155gr bullets at any distance- especially to 600yd

3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Do a tad more. 30x47!:)

4. rangertim

rangertim Gold $$ Contributor

30BR Reamers are set up for 1 inc or 925 Lenght jackets with 0 Freebore and H 4198 or LT30 half way up the neck so you would have trouble with that ! You could have it throated for the 155 but you would better off with a 308 match Palma chamber ! IMHO

5. Dusty Stevens

Some reamers are yes.

6. GerryM

GerryM

not sure what velocity you would get with acceptable pressures b ut i think it's possible.
    why a 10 twist? I think a 12 would be better. your paying with what was called the 308 x 1.5
    Interesting idea'' the single shot shooters A S S A have some info but they use lead bullets.

7. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........

Sam,
    Your barrel twist rate is off for a .30BR. 30BR's usually employ 17 - 18 twist rate barrels that give the best accuracy. Might consider another caliber as others have suggested. Take a look at the info in the Bulletin section under 30BR for more info. Just my .02 worth.

Alex

8. joshb

A couple years ago, a guy on here asked the same question. I don't remember if he ever went thru with it or reported any findings.
    In the meantime, I bought a used 30br barrel from a guy here, thinking "who's ever burned one out?" Well, it was throated long. It's a 17 twist, so I tried some 125 Sierras in it so I could touch the lands. They keyholed. Bullet was too long. I didn't have a chrony then so I can't report velocities but they were stout loads. I talked to my Smith and we decided to give it some more horsepower. He reamed it to a 30x47 with zero freebore. I got busy , so I haven't shot it yet but I'll be trying 125s. I wish it was a 12 twist. Just playing around, ya know.;) If the Sierra 125s don't work, I bought 500 Speer 125 TNTs. My fallback after them are my custom 118s. I have plenty of 308s to use the 125s in for training at short range and for my friends, the ammo hounds.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    338rumshooter likes this.
  9. Laurie

Laurie

I was in the same situation as the OP, and also did all the playing around on QuickLOAD to see about whether it would be worthwhile with 150s/155s, generally deciding that there really isn't any situation that would suit this set up, or at any rate produce worthwhile benefits from it. Barrel life aside, the 6BR will always outperform 7BR which will always outperform 30BR in the 300 yards and beyond roles. (6.5BR or 6.5PPC = Grendel might be an interesting choice here though!)

As per Sam, the OP, I had all the bits for a fast twist barrel single-shot rifle - an old 4-lug Paramount TR (Fullbore to you guys) rifle, the immediate predecessor of the RPA Quadlite in a superb walnut prone stock with a very high round count, much eroded throat 1:14 twist Lothar-Walther Palma profile job that still shot surprisingly well at short ranges but had lost a great deal of MV and gained a lot of ES points. I'd got it for a poor man's F/TR rifle project that had fallen by the wayside and after a lot of chasing around, the UK's Tier-One outfit had made a custom 20-MOA scope rail for it.

The obvious thing to do would have been to rebarrel it in 308 again for F/TR and sell it, but the likely selling price would have barely covered a gunsmith rebarrelling job and the mandatory EU proofing and I'd have been well out of pocket for the original rifle cost and the rail. Anyway, I liked the rifle, so wanted something I could use as a cheap, low barrel wear 'old geezer's range plinker'.

As luck would have it, Bruce Lenton, one of our top BR competitors fancied a 30BR and built a 'proper' (short, slow twist barrel, suitable action etc) HV weight rifle buying a Robinett chamber reamer, that's a no freebore job for 115-118gn FB short radius ogive jobs and I gave him all my spare I&H 4198, it being as common as hen's teeth here. (Now banned in Europe too under EU Project 'Reach' on health & safety grounds.) We don't have short-range BR for score in the UK, so Bruce was experimenting with it as an alternative to 6PPC. AFAIK, the results were superb, but the heavier recoil made it unattractive compared to the six especially with our main 100 yards BR range, Diggle 'A' having some of the twitchiest, hardest winds on any range BR is shot over, conditions that can sometimes induce near nervous breakdowns, so fast shooting is usually vital!

I also had a virtually nil round-count 10-twist Krieger available from an AR-10 straight-pull project that had been a disaster, a suitable scope or two with mounts, lots of odd part lots of powders that QuickLOAD says will (sort of) work with the 30BR - Viht N120, N130, N133, Re10x etc - 6BR brass, plenty of SRM primers and a great gunsmithing and shooting friend Vince Bottomley, so the only new outlay was bullets and dies. Bullets were a bit of an issue - ideally I wanted Berger 115gn class pills but they were virtually unavailable here. Sierra 125gn HPMs and Berger 150 FBs were readily available though.

The rifle was put together and run in late last year, but thanks to health issues I've had virtually no opportunity to do any proper load development this year. The first thing that appeared though - quite unanticipated so I give it as a warning - was very poor feed in the Paramount action because of the BR being so much shorter than the 308 and so nose-heavy. Pop a 30BR into the port and it lies on the action floor with its bullet tip down touching the floor. If you try to close the bolt, the tip butts up against the barrel face well below the chamber. So, it becomes a very fiddly feed/fire job. This cartridge needs a proper short BR action of a feed ramp.

With the no freebore chamber, as previous posters have said, you really do need flat-base bullets and you run with powder well up the neck and compressed charges, especially with many of the powders I intend to use up being slower burning than the 4198s. You need a lot of neck tension too, and I've not had nearly enough so far - when I get going again that'll be the number one change / action - another couple of smaller die bushings and a lot more bullet grip. The backstop was always a run-in with a throater to use 155s, but I really doubt the heavier bullets' benefits even in the short-distance plinker role and the external ballistics' benefits are small to non-existent over 125s.

The first (and only to date) proper range session with 125gn SMKs jumped a little and N120 saw groups of 0.5-0.7 inches and the top charge of 30.5gn N120 give a modest 2,868 fps MV from a 24.75" barrel. Spreads ranged from single figures to 20 fps. The next go will take charges up to 31gn, use a great deal more neck tension and seat the bullets out a little to be 'in the lands'.

As I said we can no longer get the 4198s here at all (thank you Brussels!), but I've sourced some Lovex SO53, a Czech manufactured extruded short-cut single-based propellant designed for the 7.62X39mm with an apparently similar quickness, and will give that a try in due course, also some 115gn Bergers. (Hmmmm ... what happened to the original budget rifle idea of just use what's in the cupboard?)

This will never be a benchrest outfit, but should be a cheap and fun, low recoil 300 yard bench and prone rifle. If it shoots well enough, I'll give it a try in 300 yard F matches on 'quieter' days when out and out accuracy trumps high BC wind-bucking bullets as an alternative to 6BR.

simo hayha and joshb like this.
  10. Trig.

Trig.

Thank you Laurie for your intuitive response,

I am very well aware of the fact that this idea it is a little ill fated in some ways but i have plenty of bigger guns for long range and such.

In regards to the other posts i have considered the .308 win it is high on the list, the 30x47 Lapua is also one i considered s as i have 200 new 6.5x47 brass here not being used as the first 200 brass seem to be lasting very well in my 6.5x47 Lapua. I also have 150 old 6.5x47 lapua brass that were used in my old 6.5x47 Lap that could be used to experiment with.

The feeding issue Laurie mentioned about the bullets being nose heavy is something i had not considered thank you for that, that considered it may not be the best option to try run the 155gr projectiles but stick with the 115-125 gr range.

As a side note I had a Zastava M85 that had a .308 barrel chambered for 7.62x39 Improved, the case resembleds a .30 Grendel. with a case full of H4198 loaded with 150's its doing about 2375 FPS and works wonders on critters as a walk around rifle with very little cost at all. Before you criticise just consider it as a bolt action .30-30 win.

Now its time to sum up the options,
    .30 BR
    .30 x 47 Lapua
    .30 TC
    .308 Win

My preference would be a case with a minimum 30 degree shoulder.

regards Sam.

11. Dusty Stevens

12. joshb

Yeah? I thought you (Dusty) would suggest a 30-06 AI.:eek:
    Sam: I've bought guns because I had brass.;) I think the extra powder capacity in the 30x47 would be enough for the 155. You sparked an interest to get my 30x47 up and shooting. I just have to put a scope on it.:)

13. Trig.

Trig.

The 30x47 looks very good.
    I have been reading here for a while and the .30 TC looks like it has taken pole position, as it seem to tick all the boxes and i have a set of reloading dies for a .30TC on the shelf and a surplus of once fired 6.5 creedmoor brass i can convert.

Looking at the ballistics with the 125gr nosler ballistic tips it will do everything i need it to do and will have enough boiler room to run the 155's as well.

14. Dusty Stevens

I have one. It kilt a moose in newfoundland too!!

joshb likes this.
  15. cmillard

cmillard

I think it would be worth it to see if you can do it in 30BR. If it doesn't pan out, run a 308 reamer in

simo hayha and Laurie like this.
  16. Laurie

Laurie

Some years back I had a Cz527 'Carbine' in plain 7.62X39mm. This was a great little gun, and had I had the ability to plink off-range, it would have been tremendous fun - as you say, a modern bolt-action 30-30 for cans and small game / vermin. Sadly, there is little opportunity for this sort of rifle shooting in the UK. It was surprisingly accurate (under 1-MOA at 100) either with Lapua 123gn FMJ factory or equivalent handloads. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into any competition disciplines and the little cartridge's ballistics make it hopelessly inadequate against 308. I did shoot a few 155 loads, but can't remember now how they did. CZ introducing the MTR (Match Target Rifle) in 6.5 Grendel did reawaken both some memories and a fair bit of personal interest, although it'd be undergunned in F-Open and suchlike competition (just a bit!).

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=CZ+527&submit=Search

In your shoes, I'd do what I've done in my shoes, ie go with the 30BR. If you go nil freebore initially, you can always have it easily rethroated for 155s at a later stage if desired, and if the BR loses its shine, easy enough to rechamber for something different / longer.

I was pretty sure I'd like the 30BR and I do. The fiddly feed is the only issue and downside, and a lot there will depend on the action. With a small low port placed for sling shooters, the Paramount / RPA isn't well suited to clumsy old fingers being inserted.

17. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

A few years ago, we couldn't get 115's for some reason. I shot the 125 Speer HP in it's place. Not a 115 but pretty good for an off the shelf easy to get bullet, at least in my rifle. I also shot a lot of Hornady 110's in a 30 BR I built for hunting. Great for Coyotes at approx. 3000 fps.

18. GerryM

GerryM

for what it's wort
    I shoot a 16 twist 30 br with a 130 gr bullet velocity is 3100 fps with great accuracy.

19. GerryM

GerryM

heres another come to think about it a bit.
    My friend Don Maine,s shot a 150 gr bullet with hjis 30 BR with an 1/14 twist hart bbl
    He did pretty well at 100yds He didn't shoot it much at 200 YDs but I bet with a bit of practice he would have done well at that range,