2k yd elr match

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Unofficially so far...
    Bipod/prone 40lb. max
    unlimited

2. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I don't want to shoot against Tom's Pierce Ti 6.5 CM you built him. :( That thing is ridiculously accurate for an ultralight hunting rifle ;)

dmoran likes this.
  3. Alex Wheeler

Ok 7-15lb lol

dmoran and Ledd Slinger like this.
  4. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

I'm thinking bench OR belly myself. I don't want to exclude anyone who would rather lay on the ground. It's likely I would rather be on the ground for a "bipod" class anyways.

Keep suggestions coming guys, this is just past the pipe dream stage.

Tom

5. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I just want to fit in somewhere! I'll bring a couple of rigs

Zero333 and dmoran like this.
  6. retired

retired

no bench ?

7. Alex Wheeler

Unlimited is anything you want to do . The range we plan to hold it has benches. So you can shoot off a bench in unlimited. The range has a no .50s rule. So that will be an issue for guys with 50s, but the organization does not ban them.

8. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I'll bring that 22 Alex

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  9. Alex Wheeler

We dont plan to hold this shoot until August.

10. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

11. retired

retired

long range shooting is easy....
    it is hitting what you aim at that is hard!

12. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

With respect to weight limits, my opinion was focused more around that it would be something of an 'unofficial' form of cartridge limitation for that class. If a 20lb. Max total weight didn't exclude the really 'big boomers' from that class by mass alone, the rifles that did make weight would at least be subject to enduring higher recoil and difficulty level while shooting it from the prone position...

As an example, a shooter with an 18lb. 7SAUM might actually do better than someone shooting an 18lb. .338Lapua, simply due to how much more pleasant the former is to shoot prone, than the latter.
    And if a shooters rifle is well under a 20lb. limit, that would allow them to run a heavier rear bag, which certainly helps when your belly's in the dirt...

Just some musings to consider. I truly think there are more shooters out there that would entertain shooting in a class like this. Most importantly because, it'd be leaning the emphasis back toward shooter skill, over equipment choice.

Wish y'all the best for a safe & fun shoot!

13. Alex Wheeler

Fredo,
    Have you been behind a 20lb 338? I free recoil mine, its like a 243. And its on a foldable bipod. I can see a real sporter weight say closer to 10 pounds, but honestly most guys that have a rifle over 15lb are all in the same league IMO. Another thing worth talking about is, this IS 2000 yards. Most sub 15lb rifle just are not built to get out that far, could we be creating a class no one would even shoot? Id like to hear for anyone reading that owns something more along the lines of a sporter/ lr hunter 10-15 ish and how many are interested in shooting this

Ledd Slinger and kneedtospeed like this.
  14. fredo

Alex, if I didn't, I'd be talking out my azz.

Dunno where 15lbs came from, that makes zero sense? </= 20lbs total gear would cover the whole field of 'sporter' rifles pretty well.

I've shot my 18lb. 30-338 Norma Improved side by side with both an AI-AW .338L and Surgeon Remedy .338L on several occasions, both in the 20lb. range. My rifle is a pussycat to shoot, comparatively. My 6.5 SAUM or former 7WSM...even more so.

In short, I wouldn't personally feel handicapped shooting a stout 6.5SAUM against a lighter weight .338L, or the like. Course my Norma would be a better mousetrap, and make the weight. Even braked, the concussion of a big boomer while prone off a small 'field' bipod is enough to wear on a shooter and allow a level of discomfort that'd mitigate the obvious ballistic advantage.

IMHO, slapping a wide leg F-TR bipod under a bench rig does not make it a sporter rifle. It'd be about allowing the guys that carry and or hunt with their rifles a chance to enjoy competing against each other, in the dirt. Or, not.

15. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry, but I fail to see an allure for "practical rifle shooters" since to shoot 2000yds, a rifle's sights already have to be modified beyond practical shooting distances. Also, I've never heard of a "practical rifle class" to any shooting realm at normal shooting distances, and only seen the lack of such interest at 1/2 this distance, so why would such so called "practical rifle shooters" suddenly flock to compete at 2000, or other impractical distances.
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    LA50SHOOTER, DT and damoncali like this.
  16. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

What dates are y’all leaning toward for this match?

17. Rancher Mike

Rancher Mike

I have yet to shoot past 1,000 yards, so I have no experience with the calibers needed. I have seen a few people at our local range with some nice 300 Winchester Mag elk hunting rifles in the 10 to 12 pound range with muzzle breaks and Nightforce scopes; would rifles like this be competitive?

dmoran likes this.
  18. Alex Wheeler

I was not factoring in the gear, just rifle weight. Im not into the whole package weight thing, makes no sense to me and ads another area for guys to have to spend money.

This class if it happens would be folding leg bipods and a weight limit. Im open to the idea, but skeptical anyone would show up. We are talking about sporters capable of putting a group on paper at 2k. Id think a rare rifle.

19. Alex Wheeler

No dates yet.
    The 300 WM very well could be competitive. This first shoot will teach use all a lot. If things are really good condition wise a 7 raum or 300 wsm could clean house. I am expecting the 338 edge/lapua to be the sweet spot and dont have a lot of hope for the cheytac sized cases.

20. fredo

Spend money???

I'm trying to help create a 'class' for shooters who already have these rifles to hunt and shoot with!

Reckon most scoped 'sporter' rifles are in the 13-16lb range. Give or take. Add a pound or so for a "field" bipod, and the balance of weight for rear bag of choice. Viola, there's 20lbs or less. And to your point...NO MONEY out of pocket!!!

What doesn't make sense about that?