2k yd elr match

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Yep, thats what stops guys from showing up. Nothing to worry about, its not like that. No one looks at a new shooter that way, they all want to help.

Zero333, damoncali and dmoran like this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@rhovee
    Over 18 years time I have participated in High Power, BR, FClass, Tactical, and LR-BR. At all of them, shooters went out of there way to help the new guy !.!.!

My point being, don't be afraid to go to any competition, more then likely you will be welcomed and received like myself and most everyone else has. The only looser is the guy who doesn't go. The only "dip shits" are the guys who run there mouths on the internet about a discipline, but have never competed in it themselves.

Many of my good friends in life I met at shooting competitions....
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. bbarber25

bbarber25

Not that it really matters as I personally view this as a “for fun” match, a good time with a good group of guys pushing their limits. But I think a bipod class could be a good thing. I’d be shooting off a Harris bipod, and shooting off it is completely different than shooting off a JJ or SEB. Seriously considering going to this, I think it’s be kick in the pants!

calib, Ledd Slinger and dmoran like this.
  4. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I've only been to a couple 1K BR matches back when I didn't really even know what it was. Let alone have any sort of proper rifle or rest for it. It's amazing how much you can learn with all of the experience there. All were very welcoming and didn't laugh when I shot a 10" 10 shot group with one of my hunting rifles from a Harris bipod on the concrete bench. Rifle was torquing and hopping all over the place cuz I had no way to anchor the feet to get proper rearward flex like I would when prone in the dirt. It was a mess! Lol. But everyone was great :)

Although Leo Anderson did laugh at me a little when I tried to stretch my 204R to 1K in practice. Yeah that didnt work out...Lol :D

I still hassle a few of the guys with text messages every now and then for tips and tricks.

Now I have a nice front rest and a 1K BR competition rifle sitting in the safe, but for some reason I never went back. Maybe someday...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    dmoran likes this.
  5. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant

I've been watching this thread closely. I'd like to try it, but I don't think I can get there with my set-up let alone hit a target at 2k. But reading this has given me the "want to's".

Ledd Slinger and dmoran like this.
  6. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Which speaks exactly to my point.
    Why the heck would a shooter like myself bring a 14-19lb 'field' rifle to compete against a 30-40lb. bench rifle that sits on a precision machine rest ?
    Why would a shooter wanna belly up in the dirt behind an Atlas or Harris tripod and rear sandbag, build a solid position behind the rifle, develop NPA, and execute a clean trigger break & follow-thru, when the fella up on the bench has a rifle mated to a into a$1,000+ machine rest and only touches off a 4oz trigger to attempt the same target?

All I'm sayin is, if ya did fashion a 'class' that allowed those rifles/shooters a somewhat level playing field to compete on, I bet ya just might find them showing up. I know I might. But as it stands now, this match sounds like wouldn't be worth even a couple hours drive, let alone a plane ticket...

Just being a sounding board, it's your deal. Suggestions were focused around the notion that ya might wanna gain interest with a new segment of shooters. If you've got enough interest already, more power to ya! If everyone's having a good time, that s all that matters...

7. Alex Wheeler

Its already been said in this thread that there will be a bipod class and and unlimited class. Weight limits, we are trying to stay in line with the other elr shoots, so looks like 40 lbs. My 338 is about 18lbs on a bipod, with a brake you can free recoil it. I see no advantage to going heavier.

calib and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  8. dmoran

@fredo
    If you have a rifle capable of shooting 2000yds, and if you yourself are capable, you will have as good of a chance as anybody, no matter what your chosen platform is. Being scared of losing or of being out classed, won't get you anywhere. Neither will trash talking what others choose or use.

For myself, if able to attend, will be looking forward to competing against anyone and everyone, no matter what there caliber, rifle, and platform. Even though I may end up dead last, I'll be shooting for the win, and be expecting everyone else will be to, for that is what a shooting competition is all about. The only losers will be the people who were to scared to attend.

This is going to be 2000 yards under unknown conditions for accuracy.... who knows what will all win.
    Getting 5 on will be victorious in itself, and be the biggest challenge everyone and every gun will have.
    Donovan

9. Ledd Slinger

I think I might have to put a temporary big long heavy barrel on the old 338-375R and come show those "overcharged-powder-wasting" 338 Lapua's how it's done! ;)

...Of course I'm not sure if I mean 'done right' or 'done wrong' in this case. Lol

dmoran likes this.
  10. retired

retired

simple..open your ears.. 4 classes..lite heavy bench and belly...a lite belly is NOT shooting against HEAVY BENCH RIFLE. wake up.

11. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Was thinking maybe a factory ammo only class too.o_O

wholman, dmoran and Ledd Slinger like this.
  12. Ledd Slinger

We could call it the "Spray and Pray" class!

wholman likes this.
  13. dmoran

Alex & Tom -
    My plan is to shoot 105-VLD's from a 6Dasher in at least one gun. Can I shoot it in what ever the very top class you guys have? Even though the ballistic odds will be against me, I'm up for the challenge of trying to get 5 on with it, against every shooter and rifle there.
    Donovan

Jason Boersma likes this.
  14. Alex Wheeler

I think there is an unfounded fear of weight. If weight was such a factor why is it in Benchrest 90% of guys shoot a LG in HG class and win? (edit) Not many build true HGs anymore. Now if we are talking 8lb vs 40lb then ok. But 20 vs 40?

15. Jason Boersma

Jason Boersma

I’ve seen a lot of true heavy guns built in the past two seasons. Maybe just no one builds hg’s in Montana

dmoran likes this.
  16. Alex Wheeler

I build Benchrest rifles full time for guys all over the country. 75% of my work is 600/1000yd BR. Theres like 15 guys in Mt that shoot lr BR and they have rifles already lol. For me personally they make up 2% of new BR builds roughly.

6ShotsOr5? and Jason Boersma like this.
  17. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Oh, I'm wide awake, Sir.
    Maybe go back and ponder what I responded to?

I was speaking to the point where Mr. Wheeler mentioned having trouble getting "LRhunting" type shooters to shoot 1K with him.

Sensing some hostility when I'm just trying to offer up a way for your "BR" guys to grow your sport. The key to that is to make these kinds of shoots less of an "arms race", and add appeal for shooters like myself & others who enjoying a less mechanized approach to hitting targets...

No worries either way. It ain't "practical" shooting that suffering from a dwindling following due to overspecialization & a serious lack of 'fun factor'.

So, again, as I typed above...if there's already plenty enough interest in your format to draw a crowd there's obviously no need to consider catering to a more 'practical' form of rifle shooting. If that's what blows yer skirt up, then have at it and enjoy!

Zero333 likes this.
  18. Alex Wheeler

Easy now.
    I have experience shooting different venues as well as running matches from the most informal to serious competition. I am very against equipment races. I prefer to build a guy a practical rifle that will WIN. Rules can cost you money if you have to modify what you own. I always come from the point of view that you implement rules as they become NEEDED. A bipod class makes a lot of sense, thats an equalizer. A weight limit is not, in my experience I have never seen it. If we shoot this first match and see the heavier rifles dominate then yes a weight limit will come. But I would rather guys be able to shoot what they have already built than spend more money up front. Other elr shoots that guys have built rifles for are 40lb. As far as this being big, it wont be, no sport of excellence is, it takes a certain kind of person. If a guy wont shoot this match because his rifle is 20lb and the limit is 40lb. He was not the kind of guy who was going to stick with it anyhow, imo.

fredo and dmoran like this.
  19. retired

retired

so alex what are the classes ?
    no weight, the just bench and belly ?
    or just one class no matter what weight or position ?

20. Alex Wheeler

I have been thinking about what your after. A true sporter class. That would make 3 classes. But a sporter class would need a weight limit. What kind of weight is a "sporter"? 18lb seems aweful heavy for a practical rifle. So foldable bipods with limit of 15lbs including bipod?

The 1k match we have is prone with fordable bipods. LR "hunters" just dont seem to show up at matches in my experience. The prs/tac/practical rifles typically are not chambered in something capable of 2k, so I am not sure they would come either?