2k yd elr match

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. davidpatton

davidpatton Gold $$ Contributor

1000 yard BR target should be big enough, im sure plenty of guys would donate them after the nationals :)

2. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

I have more 1000 yard rifles than I can shoot in one event. Make it a vacation, I live 2 hours north of deep creek, 17 miles from glacier park.

Tom

3. davidpatton

davidpatton Gold $$ Contributor

I googled that park and showed Kayla the pictures. I explained how its so much better looking than the trip we took to the Bahamas and how i felt certain the people were better. Haha

4. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

ALEX:

2,000 yard match sounds excellent.

Where are you thinking of holding it .... my place is over by Big Sky.

Suggestions:
    - I like the idea about using The F- class type targets .... seems like that would be would be good ...or a deviant on that (f class slinger target ????)
    - I’d suggest (similar to F class rules).. .. perhaps a class for bipod and a class for front rest setups
    - caliber limits .....??? Not sure I’d care... i’ll Shoot 338 Lapua Magnum. Should 50 BMG be allowed ..,I don’t think I care .. but something to consider.
    - relative to paper and positive feedback.... maybe consider using the long range camera systems set up on the targets. I’ve got a new one coming ..... hope it can connect at 2000 yards.

Tom

5. wholman

wholman

I know this has nothing to do with this thread
    but on post83 I was more impressed that he could
    walk barefooted on the rocks than that big gun
    he was carrying.

6. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

What would be the response to making two classes.

Sporter: 338 max caliber, bipod only, and 25lbs ready to go.

Unlimited: rules? We don't need no stinking rules...

There are hundreds of rifles that would make Sporter Class today.

7. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I like it. I think i'm with the crowd that thinks a bipod doesn't matter much. I don't think I would feel at a disadvantage using an F class bipod against guys shooting off a rest, but maybe I'm wrong on that. It also might make more sense to limit case head size than bullet caliber. If you limit Sporter class (ha!, sporter... probably not the best name for a 25 pound ELR rifle) to magnum case heads, that provides a lot of options, while keeping the expensive (bigger) stuff in the unlimited class.

8. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

damoncali,

"Sporter" is a relative term...:D

dkhunt14 likes this.
  9. calib

calib

Tagging in Alex!

I liked what I had seen in the rules you sent me, going to work on reading the thread and seeing what we can do.

10. Mike Miller

Mike Miller

I am interested but depends on dates
    On Targets the current F Class Target is too small for 2K. It is roughly a .25 Moa X ring at that distance. I believe the Palma target would be better at about .50 X ring for 2K

calib, damoncali and Alex Wheeler like this.
  11. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

For the sake of making an honest 'sporter rifle' class, I'd like to see a bipod defined as a detachable unit, with max leg spread of 12". That would disallow those wide azz 'F-Class' type legs and relegate them to the same category as a machined rest. Also, max. stock forend width of <3", to help differentiate a field rifle from a bench rig...

And again, keep max weight for 'sporter rifle' capped @ 20.0 lbs, including rear rest. That might help attract practical shooters who find little/no interest in bench rest type comps, but still have capable precision rifles to compete with. Shooting prone, of course!

Bet you'd see enough hunter/shooters with WSMs, SAUMS, RUMs, EDGEs, WinMags & Norma Mags etc. want to play? Keep in mind, practical rifle shooting is growing in leaps & bounds, while BR shoots that quibble over .00016547" group sizes are not. Shooters don't want to spend thousands of dollars to separate fly chit from pepper, they wanna SHOOT and hit the dang target!

Make a somewhat level playing field for those shooters to enjoy competing, and you'll prolly have a waiting list to deal with all the entrants. Heck, some guys might even jump on a plane to come play...

calib likes this.
  12. retired

retired

nope.
    a run what you brung in 4 classes.
    heavy /light, i think the palma weigh break is the correct light max.
    bench and prone.....pick your tools for your position.
    keep it simple.

13. rhovee

rhovee

I have no dog in the fight, but i would love to see some very skilled shooters do a specific shoot for the "long rang hunting" crowds who constantly post about wanting to be able to shoot an animal at 1K. Like for cold bore sighters, put a target up.

338 cal or smaller
    less than 15 lbs total weight
    hunting style bi-pod

cold bore shot bonus round?

fredo likes this.
  14. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

My experience.... those guys will never show up to a match. I have tried so many times to get any of them to come to a match. This is a paper target match with a sighting in period. There are no cold bore shots. The bonus of that is, no need for high dollar ranging equipment.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    damoncali likes this.
  15. Alex Wheeler

This match will be groups on paper measured. I cant even get guys with the type of rifles your talking about to show up and shoot 1000 yds with us. We have a class for bipods now. I think only ELR guys will come and most have the ftr type bipod. The "practical" hit/miss type of shooter is a totally different type of shooter imo. They wouldnt come to shoot this match if we paid for their gas in my experience.

16. rhovee

rhovee

I am in the process of figuring out how i can attend the PRS ELR match at Miller Creek. It's about 4.5 hour drive for me. I have never been to one, so i feel a little out of my box. I would like to go and watch and try and figure some stuff out. Or just pony up and place last in the shoot:D

17. Alex Wheeler

We can easily make enough classes so that there will only be 3 shooter per class.

18. Alex Wheeler

Bring your gun and shoot. Going to a match to watch is a mistake, your there why not shoot? Theres nothing to learn by watching. This shoot will be on paper targets, nothing like prs

284winner and damoncali like this.
  19. rhovee

rhovee

Your right. I don't have someone to spot for me. But i will make some calls and see how i can sign up. The 28 Nosler pushing the 195 at 3050 with es of 12 should get on paper. I am sure i will learn more than i expect. Just don't want to look like a dip shit.

20. calib

calib

Rhovee,
    Gonna message you in a sec about that shoot.

I have talked to Alex about possibly hosting one of these 2k matches at the Miller ranch.

Alex Wheeler likes this.