2k yd elr match

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Oh yeah. I've seen 103-105 in August before. Last year was brutal. Hot and no rain for months with forrest fires and unbelievable thick smoke. You never know, but August can get nasty in Montana. Not "sticky" tho. Its a dry heat.

I think late May or early June is the best time of year. But doubt these guys would want to do it in the middle of their 1K BR season

2. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Yes this fat boy likes cooler weather :)
    But I’m game.

3. wholman

wholman

I bet there humidity is not real high.

4. Ledd Slinger

That's what I said. It's a dry heat. But the mirage is what I'm concerned about.

Not very good picture when viewing with a spotting scope or high power riflescope at 2K in 90+ deg heat.

wholman likes this.
  5. retired

retired

they shoot the 1000 yd north west match that month, and this year it will be the nationals.
    been there done that, not an issue so far.

6. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@Ledd Slinger
    While I typically hate heat, the "high country" heat and its lack of humidity, is not brutal to me.
    I'll take 95-F in Montana then 85-F in many other Easterly states.
    Actually kind of like some heat when at DCR in August and camping there.
    Donovan

7. Ledd Slinger

Yeah no doubt. I've spent a lot of time in Norfolk, VA as well as Houston, TX in August. Humidity doesn't get much worse. You can drink the air in Houston that time of year....Im starting to sweat just thinking about it. Lol

dmoran likes this.
  8. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I've been up in Cody quite a bit in the summer, which is just on the other side of Yellowstone from Alex's shop. Late summer/early fall is actually a pretty nice time of year up there. For you lowlanders, drink your water. It's both dry and high, and the combo will do a number on you if you're not used to it and/or well hydrated.

Also, for those thinking about riving west to this match through the park, stop at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody. They have one of the best firearms museums in the country. There, and The Cody Firearms Experience, which is a little indoor range where you can rent/shoot historic firearms from flint locks to gattling guns (!). Very cool place.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/
    https://codyfirearmsexperience.com/

dmoran and Ledd Slinger like this.
  9. ttfreestyle

We just spent 3 weeks in the Cody area and visited the Buffalo Bill center, very cool place. Planning to make this shoot another 3 week vacation. I may not have enough gun or skillz but I’ll have fun. Just weighed my rum , 13.96 pounds. It will have to do. Troy

damoncali and dmoran like this.
  10. blaster50

blaster50

Boo to the "No 50's" lol ... still would be fun to come down and see what I need to spend more money on :D

Hoodoo and dmoran like this.
  11. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know. That sure looks like Donovan! LOL

12. ttfreestyle

So what group sizes can be expected at 2k( I realize it depends on conditions)? I have shot steel at 1500 a few times and a mile a couple times but never for groups. Troy

13. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I think It will be interesting! I have steel set up to 2200 yards. My long plate is 24" square on a hill side
    (soon to be 36") doing the math with a 300 grain hybrid @ 3000 fps a one mph let off or pick up
    in wind speed from 90* equals 11.5" shift at 1750 Yards!
    With my 7 SAUM which is the only rig I've shot that far with.
    180 Hybrid at 2950 = 15.4" . Group size? I am happy to hit the 24" plate!

Lou Tenant likes this.
  14. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

We need to get out and do some shooting this summer. We need to see how difficult it is to spot shots, and stay one a target at that range. The idea is to have it near the nats so guys can make one trip. Obviously if its so hot the mirage makes it un shootable we'll have to figure that out. I have done a lot of shooting out to 2k, but it was just messing around shooting rocks. Shots were pretty easy to spot in a 25x scope, wind shifts move you a LOT. I do worry about guys keeping 5 on paper. Hopefully by mid summer we'll have it all figured out. May just need bigger paper lol. I sure would expect to see some MOA sized groups and maybe some smaller. Farthest I have shot on paper is about 1550.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

One time only, I shot at 2000yds for group, was 5-shots (15.1") on a 48" target board.
    Posted those results here on the forum back then:
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/2000-yards-6dasher.3868983/

Only doing it the one time, not much for a bases. But would like to hear from others that may have shot for group as well. Combining multiple peoples results, could possibly offer up some prediction bases.
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  16. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

In 2008 at Ohio during the Nationals, they shot the mile. Was about 40 guns there and mostly Cheytacs. Eddie Kenzakoskie won it with Bruce Baers 308 Baer. Is was Bruce's Heavy gun with the aluminum stock. He shot around 7.5 inches and I think it was a record at the time. Ernie Ritter won score shooting my buddies 338 Lapua IMP with a 44 or 45 score. The winds there were pretty bad. Matt

LA50SHOOTER and dmoran like this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

I think the Target Vision 2 mile camera system might be good for this match if a person wants to spot shots.

One of the reviews in the following link talks about great performance with the system at 2200 yards.

https://targetvisioncam.com/products/elr

dmoran likes this.
  18. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Tell ya what, Sir...

I'll come out and attend this 2K shoot you guys are planning, if you'd agree to travel & attend a precision rifle shoot in my AO.

Just think of how fun that'd be!
    I'm in, if you are...

19. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

You gonna bring that .220 Redline of yours? dedogs

20. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

As this is the first match for this sanctioning body new records will be set. Group, score, group agg, score agg, ext. Records will be for account for once the match is completed. There will only be one record holder per category.