284 winchester brass

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by LittleJeff, Feb 11, 2010.

1. LittleJeff

LittleJeff

Who all makes brass for this particular round? Thinking about getting another barrel for this round on my switch barrel rifle.
    Little Jeff

2. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Site $$ Contributor

Winchester is the only manufacturer of .284 Win brass. Both Norma and Lapua make very high quality 6.5-284 brass which is easily expanded to .284. Norma and Lapua are more expensive than Winchester, Norma especially. The Winchester brass is tough but must be sorted and prepped more than the other two. Winchester is half the cost of Lapua and almost one quarter the cost of Norma.

3. Preacher

Preacher Site $$ Contributor

If you plan on using Lapua 6.5x284 brass necked up to 7mm you need to specify that brass when you order the reamer, it's a bit larger in diameter over the Winchester brass..
    All I use in any of my .284's is Winchester brass.......

4. LittleJeff

LittleJeff

OK, another question. Which cartridge would be better for long range target shooting, say past 500 yards, 7mm WSM or the 284 Win. I have bolts for both the magnum face and std. bolt face.
    Little Jeff

5. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Site $$ Contributor

The .284 has a fine competition record, winning many F-class matches in the last few years. I am not familiar with the 7mm WSM's record. I recently ordered a tube gun action from Jim Borden and sent him a 31" Brux to fit and chamber in .284. It is a previously underestimated cartridge whose time has come.