284 KMR IMP - FLS dies and bullet seater

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by Willow, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Willow

Willow

Hi all, posing a question for anyone out there shooting a 284 KMR IMP...Looking at going down this path and can source a reamer ok, but just curious as to how people have gone about getting custom dies made - who through, how long and how is the end result?

I'm in Australia and can go through Whidden Gunworks who recommend using fired cases from which they can create custom dies but there's obviously going to be quite a delay in fireforming some initial cases, sending them off and getting the dies made. If this is the best way to go, then so be it but I thought I'd check to see if there is anyone out there that has gone through this process and can provide advice as to whether any tooling business or otherwise has specs on file and can produce the dies more easily...

Phoeniceltic and Rushty like this.
  2. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Attached Files:

Willow likes this.
  3. Willow

Willow

Cheers Rushty, I'll fire off an email.​

Rushty likes this.
  4. Elwood

Elwood

We had the company that made the reamer also make a resize reamer and bought some Newlon blanks. I shared the cost of the resize reamer with a friend.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. FrankG

FrankG

If you have a reamer drawing Whidden should be able to make it.

I’ve also had Al Warner at Warner Tool make mine and Hornady Custom Shop just off a reamer drawing and in one case I was able to supply a once fired case. Either way they turned out excellent.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

6. Willow

Willow

Cheers Frank, I'm in conversation with Emil Kovan at the moment and he advises he can make the dies no problem - I think he has done quite a few for customers with new rifle builds coming through his shop - his only concern is the export fees in getting them out of the US to Australia. Do rifle dies fall under ITAR for you guys?

Looks like I can get a reamer through Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool Gauge as they advise it's based on Emil's design so that's less of an issue as there's no export issues with that.

FrankG and Rushty like this.
  7. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

You going the turn or no turn route mate?

8. FrankG

FrankG

It is my understanding that anything firearm related (even if it's a scope base screw) falls under ITAR. So I would double check on the dies so you don't have any surprises. That's all. Better safe then sorry.

Maybe reach out to Craig McGowan at 7mm Sales in Australia. His website is....

www.7mm.com.au

Later, Frank

9. dbramley

dbramley Dan Bramley

Emil is the man!!!

10. Willow

Willow

No turn mate.

Rushty likes this.
  11. Willow

Willow

Cheers Frank, I shot alongside Craig at the Nationals recent, top bloke. He reckons you're alright too;)

FrankG likes this.
  12. Willow

Willow

Thankful he got back to me. Hopefully I'll hear from him this week regarding the die set - I'd like to know if it will match up well with the reamer sold by Pacific Tool Gauge prior to ordering one of those.

13. Ares

Ares

Exporting dies, and other reloading equipment should'nt be a issue iv'e gotten plenty of it shipped over to europe with no issues from many companies, as long as it's for private use.
    Not every comany will do it though, not sure if it's in fear of the ITAR ghost or just by principle.

Bullets, Brass, parts of any kind for a gun etc will fall under the ITAR though so thats a no go from anyone who don't have a export lisence.

14. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Link generates error for me. There something else to it maybe?

15. Matt P

Matt P

What's this going to give you over your 280AI ??
    Matt P

16. FrankG

FrankG

The link works for me....?

Here is Craig's contact info....

C&P Enterprises PTY Ltd.
    Craig McGowan
    19 Kiama Street
    Wavell Heights Brisbane, QLD
    4012 Australia
    Ph: 011-61-412-939-754
    sales@7mm.com.au