280 Ackley

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Stan Taylor, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

We'll gentleman anyone here have any good information on this case.

2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Been talked about alot here, search it in the search bar and read all you wish

270WinDude likes this.
  3. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Thanks but I will read what someone gives me.

4. MTlager

MTlager

Stan,
    I'm pretty fond of them. My license plates on my truck say 280 AI. Everything that I pointed it at and pulled the trigger feel over dead !! What more do you need to know?

Lonnie

5. sdean

sdean Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot one. My reamer is undersized so I have had sizing problems. Whidden dies just came in so maybe all is good. It might hold more powder than you need. There are people that get it to shoot really well. Unless you have to be different smart money is on just a .284. Norma brass is pretty good. There are many ways to go with brass necking up and down. Be sure to discuss with JGS which way you want to go.

270WinDude likes this.
  6. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Thanks keep up the comments with some good loads with a 180 grain class bullet.

smoking-brass likes this.
  7. sdean

Stan i thought you were a benchrest guy. Probably a good reason you never see one on the line.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  8. msinc

msinc

I have two. One is a lightweight "mountain" rifle, the other is a pre-64 Model 70 with a Bartlein heavy sporter barrel. I like the cartridge and as posted already, it is definitely a killer. While I do own a 325WSM {got it in a trade I couldn't say no to} I have never hunted with it and don't see the need for a magnum or really anything bigger than the 280AI. I hunt black bear and deer and the occasional wild boar. Even if I went to Alaska for a big black bear I would take my 280AI.
    Some of my best groups were shot with N160 and Berger 140 grain hunting VLD's. For something heavier I have had very good luck with Reloder 26 and 175 grain Partitions. I will be happy to post the loads if you are interested. A lot of guys say they have great results with H4831SC powder, while it worked okay for me it was not exactly "stellar". Same with bullets...Berger's seem to always shoot very accurate, the rest are hit or miss and typically Partitions are so terrible group wise I don't even bother. But, somebody gave me like a half a box to try and they worked. Must not have been a fluke box of "good ones" either, because I have since bought several boxes and they were accurate. Wish I could get some Partitions for my 223 that worked good.
    The cartridge shoots flat, accurate and it hits hard, kills right now with moderate recoil and has a good bullet selection....I don't know what more any one could want.

270WinDude likes this.
  9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Stan, what are you wanting it for? Target or hunting?

Stan Taylor likes this.
  10. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Someone wants me to do a couple for long range hunting an some of that steel plate stuff.PS really need best twist rates don't want to have to do them twice.

11. sdean

I would do 8.5 for the 180's. N165 works good. More speed from R23 and 26

Stan Taylor likes this.
  12. johara1

johara1

Stan, if I were to get into the 280 imp. thing, I would do the one based on the 3006 case so I could use Lapua brass..... jim

13. STOMP442

STOMP442 Silver $$ Contributor

I own one and have built a few. They can be really accurate but I have found they can be a little particular on what powder they like. Once you find their happy place though things are good. My particular rifle is built on a 98 Mauser with a Benchmark #3 finished at 26" I can't remember my exact load off the top of my head but I am pushing a 168gr Berger with H4831sc at 2900fps and killed an elk at over 600 yards last year. Worked great.

14. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

I think they will use regular Ackley brass but in a pinch you could fireform the 3006 brass be a little short on the overall length

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  15. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Go with a Nosler dimension reamer and go/no-go gauges. That is the SAAMI spec and there is .014 difference between their spec and the original spec. I used Nosler brass but also did a light neck turn and fire formed Norma 280 Remington brass. Both gave good performance and the Nosler brass was holding up well shooting Berger 168 at just over 3,000 FPS. My twist was 8.5 and it handled the light and the heavy (up thru the 183 SMK) with ease. Retumbo gave me the best performance. I had the rifle about a year but sold it due to the fact it was too heavy for a hunting rig.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  16. johara1

johara1

I thought if you were to get a reamer made, The neck is so long on the 280and it has a taper .... jim

Stan Taylor likes this.
  17. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

We have a 280 Ackley reamer here at work.

18. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

I want to thank La 50 shooter for the very educational conversation we had I think I can provide the guys I am doing this for a very good project.

270WinDude and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  19. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I have an 8.5 twist barrel sitting here for one and a reamer with a .175fb. Nice thing about the ai is that long neck makes for a nice selection of bullets.

20. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Appreciate You Stan,
    I look forward to coming up that way to shoot with you guys.

All The Best, - Ron -

Stan Taylor likes this.