28" Dasher barrel Contour? HV or Straight

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by chadwickz71, Aug 21, 2017.

1. chadwickz71

chadwickz71

Got a Dasher in the works with S and S precision. Just a short plug for Mike over there, he has built us several full custom HUNTING guns and did mods on several stock HUNTING guns for my family. Great to work with, great finished products.

Not planning on shooting competitions just wanting to get a REAL target gun. We are fortunate to have property we can stretch out to well over mile if we want but primary shoot 500-1000 with our current custom 7mm's.

Going to "do it right" the first time and build a gun I can do a switch-barrel on as I change/add calibers and have a target gun we can shoot and push our limits with all our accuracy. Wanting to get into a full custom target gun for shooting groups out here as a hobby. We shoot every weekend with our hunting guns and its a blast. But shooting hunting style guns on a bench has its cons; lightweight, small contour barrels, crappy rests etc. LOL.

Mikes setting me up with a Robertson flat bottom benchrest stock, single shot Defiance, jewel, NF comp scope etc.

He showed me some similar guns with straight 30" barrels and first thoughts were DANG that's heavy!

One of the problems with our hunting guns is barrel heat, 2-3shots and we're done. I understand the heavy barrels for heat and less recoil.

I'm wanting to see what you all would recommend for the barrel contour. Going to do a 28" 7.5 twist kreiger for 105 bergers. I can go a straight or say a HV varmint. 10-11lbs on the straight, say 7-8 on the HV. just the barrel.

once I pick my barrel I pretty much will have to stick with it as the stock will get inleted for either taper so I want to try to make a good decision here. I may go up to a 284 or 7saum someday for flexibility.

What round count in a 6mm are we looking at on either contour before its getting time to let cool?

Being that I'm not doing comps, I have no laws to follow....

2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Keep rifle balance in mind. If you are going to hang a long heavy tube off the front you may want to consider some weight in the stock as well..........Happy Shooting,,,,

Best Regards
    Rick

dkhunt14 and Judd like this.
  3. Pappy42

Pappy42 Silver $$ Contributor

My Dasher uses a 28", 8 twist, HV. Shoots very well with Berger 105 VLD @ around 3000 feet per second. I would do the barrel channel large enough to use the straight barrel and HV.

Good luck and have fun with your project.

dedeadeye, dkhunt14 and R.Morehouse like this.
  4. Judd

Judd Gold $$ Contributor

I agree...either will work fine, I've had both and now just prefer the look of the straight barrel. If you decide with the next barrel you want to do a HV it won't look silly in a stock that's been opened up for a straight barrel.

dkhunt14 likes this.
  5. chadwickz71

chadwickz71

I guess my question would be if you guys didn't have to follow the rules in competition which would you prefer and why

6. Pappy42

Pappy42 Silver $$ Contributor

I would hate to get a hernia moving my rifle to the bench. The wind and I cannot come close to outshooting what the barrel is capable.

7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Build a 17lb rifle. Use a 28" HV. There is no benefit to a straight barrel, unless out of balance is a benefit. You may never shoot a competition, and you may never sell this gun. But, never say never. Build a legal 17lb IBS rifle and you can shoot in a match if you choose and you will be able to sell it if you want something else. And Id do an 8 twist, 4 groove of your choice as well.

RV6, hedgehoghunter and comagutsa like this.
  8. chadwickz71

chadwickz71

That's a good point about the rifle being able to shoot a comp if need be. Curious on your 8 twist recommendation. I was going for a 7.5 based on what I read here actually. Strictly shooting 105's. Berger twist seems to work with the 8. I'm at 350 altitude down south of Dallas.

9. Alex Wheeler

The only commonly used bullet that needs a 7.5 is the 105 hybrid, which I dont usually recommend because its seem to be a rarity that they will shoot at well enough to be competitive in 1k br.

10. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

There are plenty of informal matches in TX that will let you shoot whatever you want. Hope you get bitten by the bug and come join us. As for the barrel contour, have Mike chamber you a few of each and see which you like the best. It's only money and it's fun spending it with small local businesses.

11. Alex Wheeler

I am going to remember this next time you call :)

Sniper338, Hoodoo and muleystalker like this.
  12. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on Alex's recommendation

13. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

^^^THIS^^^^ In 2007 I decided to build a dedicated LR hunting gun. I told Clay Spencer that it should be around 25 pounds, as it will be strictly a
    cabin gun shot off of Front rest/rear bags and will NEVER EVER see a match. He talked me into an IBS legal LG.

The rest is history!!;)

Tod

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  14. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Silver $$ Contributor

Check out the Berger 105 VLD Hunting bullet in 6MM. The twist rate calculator shows the 7 twist provides the most stability.

15. Alex Wheeler

An 8 gives a 1.51 which is plenty. Many records shot with the vld in 8 twists.

Tstroop, bpmoss1, Jet and 1 other person like this.
  16. Judd

Judd Gold $$ Contributor

Lots of good scores and groups have been shot using 8.5's even...an 8 is plenty for most that aren't at crazy altitude. I actually tried a 8.5 with a recommendation from someone who I trusted and I prefer it...even shooting hybrids :eek:

17. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Silver $$ Contributor

+1.

18. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

The 105 VLD Hunting pushed at a modest 2900fps, at sea level, in 3 degrees Celsius temp has a stability of 1.50. Turn the speed up to 2990 and your well above the 1.50 needed, turning the temp and altitude up will push the stability higher again. I've shot Berger 105 Huntings, Targets, Hybrids and Sierra 107s in BR and Dasher 8 twists at sea level and all have shot well. Although a successful shooter at one of the clubs I compete at shoots Hybrids in a BRX 7.5 twist with great results to.

Cheers Rushty

19. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Im south of dallas... a ways south.. i have a 7.5 twist and 8 twist barrel both shooting 105 bergers. Cant tell the difference, both shoot fabulous. I got HV 28 inch barrel on the 7.5 twist. Its not a dedicated target gun though, I hunt with it too.

Dedicated target, Id so a straight... just me though... my HV barrel, ita shoot x's on 20th shot of a 20 shot string if thats how hot your asking

20. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

If he follows the advise of some he may not make weight in some disciplines with a straight taper tube of 28".

Also, I think we are tuning into a "twist crazy" society !! When I shot comp I won match after match after match shooting 105-108's in an 8 twist, 210's and 215's in an 11 twist, and 200 hybrids in a 12 twist. I never read much into the "twist calculators". I mean seriously, how many tens of millions of 55 grain Nostler BT's have been shot in 14 twist tubes....with a "stability factor of .75ish!!

Just my .02,
    Tod

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    DanSavage and Sniper338 like this.