260 Remington brass

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Someoldguy, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I need some 260Rem brass and was thinking about trying some from Starline.

If anyone has any experience since Starline started making bottle-neck case brass, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks for lookin'.

2. tripdad

tripdad

No personal experience, but have read a few reviews buy guys i trust, say better than horady not quite lapua. That was in, 65 creedmoore not 260 at under .60 a piece probably worth a try vs 1.04 for lapua

3. Prose

Prose

Peterson seems like a comparable product to Lapua at .80 cents a piece

LVLAaron likes this.
  4. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I'll look into this. Thank you.

Sniper338 likes this.
  5. wboggs

wboggs Silver $$ Contributor

Try alpha. High qulality and small and large primers

LVLAaron likes this.
  6. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Alpha is pricier than lapua brass. At least in 260

7. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I've used Nosler Brass with no regrets at all

Bc'z likes this.
  8. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I have recently fire formed 100 .260 Rem Peterson cases to .260 AI after a careful prep and I'm convinced that the Peterson brass is at least the equal of Lapua .260 brass, at least through the fire forming process and that is NOT faint praise. The forming went beautifully with no failures and every case had nice, sharp shoulders. I measured case base to datum on each one and the spread was right around .001". Maybe.

Neck wall consistency? Check - a very light skim turn (~.001") revealed very good neck wall uniformity. Distribution of case weights? Outstanding - extreme spread across all 100 came in under 1.2 grains. Primer pockets? Don't bother trying to uniform them - it's a waste of time unless you're far more anal-retentive than I, and that means you're at the threshold of psychosis. The flash holes are uniform in diameter and as free from burrs as Lapua.

And the targets spoke in the affirmative. Groups with my fire forming load were every bit as tight as I've achieved with Lapua brass. First cycle of match loads in process and I have no reason to expect anything but results consistent with those I've achieved with Lapua.

It has proven to be very good stuff so far. I'm curious to see how long the pockets hold up relative to my Lapua brass. The packaging is great, small primer pocket brass is available and it's made in the USA. I've officially switched.

boltfluter likes this.
  9. Patton243

Patton243

Not looking for an argument, but Nosler brass is some of the softest brass I've used. I have it in my 280 AI and 7mm magnum and I don't like it for that purpose. The neck thickness is usually inconsistent too, so I have to neck turn with a tight chamber. That's my experience at least. I would not recommend Nosler. Once I'm done playing with my 280 AI, I'm going to re barrel to a 284 Winchester so I can use Lapua brass. I would suggest Lapua over Nosler any day.

mikeinct and SPJ like this.