.260 brass question

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by x_wolf, Feb 12, 2018.

1. x_wolf

x_wolf

Guys, what is your opinion on Lapua vs. Peterson brass. Is the Peterson brass on the same quality level like the Lapua?
    My intended use of the 260 Rem will be precise target shooting. No dynamic shooting like the PRS, no hunting. Only paper targets work.

Thx.

2. simo hayha

simo hayha

i like both, but will use peterson when i can.

3. bobm

bobm

Be the first to report your results to us all. Buy 50 or 100 of each and tell us your findings. Both brands represent the high quality end of the offerings in .260 Rem.

4. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Alpha will be my next one to try out in the 260AI.

5. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

My own experience with 260 rem in F-Class is that Lapua brass has the life and the consistency. I am now on my 7th loading of one batch of Lapua with no case loss and still good necks and primer pockets. For my practice I started out with Remington brass but after about 4 loadings the necks started spliting. Since I sort by loaded concentricity, I found the ones that split on loading but still had a few split on firing. Before these other makers showed up on the scene with 260 brass, I bought 200 Hornady to replace the RP. They seem to be much better than Remington but not as good as Lapua. I was able to get 2 groups of 2 gn sorted brass of 81 cases in one group and 92 in the other. That is not nearly the yield in Lapua where I get 92 to 95 all within 1 GN. Since this is the last year I am shooting a 260 (moving to a lower recoil due to age) I am not going to buy any more brass.

As to accuracy, all 3 have been accurate. I cannot tell the difference at 100 yards. I never take anything but Lapua to a match so I have not shot distance with either RP or Hornady.

HTH

David

x_wolf likes this.
  6. wboggs

wboggs Silver $$ Contributor

Have tried Alpha in both LP and SP versions. One half the standard deviation with SP and about 50 fps lower velocity. Very uniform brass. Have not had it long enough to test longivity yet. Case capacity.very close to Lapua.

7. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

I have new .260 alpha brass for my Ackley but waiting on some fancy bullets. Let us know how it compared to the Lapua for you.

8. wboggs

wboggs Silver $$ Contributor

Case capacity about same, uniform neck tension, weight, length. Do not have enough firings to check how long it will hold up.

9. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Where the rubber meets the road = measure the run out(thickness) just in front of the web