26 nosler

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by WesternMDShooter, Feb 11, 2018.

1. WesternMDShooter

WesternMDShooter

Just picked up a browning 26 nosler to play with,more so just to hunt with... gonna most likely hunt with 140 Bergers what would be a good starter load? Also anyone try matrix 160s yet? Thanks for your load data. Ps barrel length is 26

2. trailrider121

trailrider121 Silver $$ Contributor

In my 26 Nosler I am using 136 gr scenars with 84 grs. RL33 at 3415 avg speed. I found RL33 shot really well in my 26 Nosler. I tried US869 but got unstable POI. If you try Retumbo with 140’s you should find a node around 79-80 grs but you’ll should around 77.5grs and work up.

3. 2506

It depends on what you will be hunting as to which bullet you should work with. If ALL YOUR SHOTS on deer up through elk are going to be over 200 yards then yes the Bergers just may be the ticket but if you ever get an up close and personal shot those Bergers will really come apart on contact at the HIGH velocity that 26N will be pushing them. I and a hunting buddy have been shooting long barreled 264 Win Mags for a number of years for white tail deer and have learned a few things about close range bullet EXPLOSEN. Have been using Nosler Accubonds the last few years and have NEVER had to worry about it. I am pushing 130 ABs 3350 fps with Retumbo and they have reacted the same weather the shot was 25 yards or 525 yards. They go in and start to expand like a ballistic tip but hold together like a Partition and keep on trucking and exit even through both shoulders and deer are DRT. Just my 2 cents worth of experience but it may help you save precious barrel life not fooling around with different bullets.

4. WesternMDShooter

WesternMDShooter

Thank you guys for the info this will help a lot

5. Aaron Cochran

Aaron Cochran

Im shooting a christensen ridgeline 26 nosler and it is very particular on loads. I found 77.5 retumbo and 140 accubonds do the best for poi but no chono readings yet. .5 grain either way makes it shoot very wild