26 nosler loads?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Shawn15, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Shawn15

Shawn15

anyone reloading a 26 nosler with 140 Berger vld?

2. q2hunter

q2hunter

Just got my dad a 26 Nosler from Montana Rifle. Only put 50 rounds through it so far, and Im attempting to build a load with 129gr LR Accubonds for him to hunt with. After barrel break in procedure, I've seen some promise with the 129s and RL25. Shot a 5 shot 1" group yesterday, with a mild load of 75gr at 3,275. Pushed it up to 75.5 and 76 and it didn't like that as well. So going to work around that 75 and play with seating a bit before moving to probably Retumbo.

3. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Reloder 33 is my go to powder for 130 and 140 VLDs. Try and get a good load with as few a rounds as possible. I have two of these and this caliber eats throats.

Scalloper likes this.
  4. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Never will understand the appeal of the big 'over-bore' cartridges. I mean 75gr of powder to get a 129gr bullet moving only 3275???

I know I probably sound like an ass to you fellas right now, but honestly, what is the appeal of these big inefficient overbore catridges? I know they CAN go faster than most other smaller cartridges at their upper limits when you throw enough powder at em. But at what cost?

I see the Nosler case having a lot of potential, but not in a 6.5mm. The 28 Nosler is the smallest caliber I would go with that case. The 30 Nosler is ideal for that case capacity. If they come out with the 33 Nosler, that will be a good one as well. But in 6.5, it's just an overcharged inefficient barrel burner in my opinion. My 6.5 Remington Magnum can achieve 3275 fps in a 26" barrel with a 130gr bullet using 20 grains less powder than the 26 Nosler.

hogpatrol, AckleymanII and joshb like this.
  5. hogpatrol

Good points Ledd. The overbores are not for everyone.
    My 24" Brux is pushing the 130 VLDs, a touch over 3500 at less than 1 MOA out to 500 meters. But yes, I'm using around 22 grains more powder than the 6.5 RM. For hunting, I do prefer the 28 version. It hasn't been as hard on the throats as the 26.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  6. Ledd Slinger

Are those the hunting or target VLDs? If they are the hunting version, have you ever had one come apart on you at that speed?

I remember back when I first started shooting a 6.5 Rem mag, I was using a load with 58.5 gr of RL-22 that was pushing the 140gr Hunting VLD's at 3250 fps in a 26" barrel. I say "hunting" VLDs, but actually was shooting the original Berger bullets when they first hit the market and there was only the one offering. Anyhow, i missed a couple antelope one hunting season when the bullet jackets came apart. Could hear the bullet whizzing and tumbling down range.

I run them at 3209 fps in a different barrel now and haven't had the problem since.

7. hogpatrol

They're the hunting VLDs. So far haven't had one come apart and have actually pushed them about 50 fps faster but accuracy went south. Forgot to mention, this was an 8.5 twist barrel. If your shooting an 8, maybe the twist was a factor.

8. Ledd Slinger

It was actually a 1 in 8.5" twist barrel at the time, the barrel I have now is a 1 in 8". Might have been a few bullets with faulty jackets in the box. It only happened to two bullets on that one hunting trip and one time at the range afterwards. All bullets were from the same box. Like I said, that was back when Berger first came onto the market. I know a lot of competition shooters had jackets fail back then as well when they pushed speeds. Now of course they have the target version with the heavier jacket and they've improved their jacketing process for all of their bullets. I'm sure the berger bullets of today are higher quality with more uniform jackets.

9. trailrider121

trailrider121 Silver $$ Contributor

Old post but needs an update. Anyone using us 869 or RL50 in their 26 nosler? I just built one and plan to run 127 LRX in 26" barrel.

10. MBBCop

MBBCop

Using 89gr 869 with 130gr Barnes tsx. Chrono 3418 3x out of 4 shots. Tried three powders and four bullets later his was found to give best groups.

11. trailrider121

So I settled on 91grs. of US869 with 127 LRX @.050" OTL. It has pretty good ES and speed (3500+), but I'm getting the dreaded two and one groups. Its grouping 1 and 3 shot with the second shot flier. I might back it down and see what happens.

12. trailrider121

My 127 LRX load using US869 didn't work out. Very inconsistent load with speed and groups. I plan to drop the 127 LRX and move to 140 hybrids. Going to use RL33 and hope for the best. Anyone else using 140's in their 26 Nosler?

13. Horsetrainer

Horsetrainer

Did you ever come up with a load that would shoot good? I can't get my mt rifle co 26 to shoot good groups