25 XC - Released Print & Reamers

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 257Blackjack, Mar 15, 2019.

1. 257Blackjack

257Blackjack Site $$ Sponsor

This 25 XC, like all of our Blackjack Spec reamers, is marked Released for anyone else to get one at their leisure.

I wanted to post this for awareness and so others may find this cartridge and print when they google search or search on this forum.

A small batch of these reamers will arrive Tuesday and although it's predictable what performance the 25 XC will yield, it's still exciting to see people get their components together for a build. So many guys have high quality dies and a stockpile of good brass that this will be an easy switch for them.

25 XC BJ JGS.png

Tommie and Preacher like this.
  2. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

is this some sort of improved 250 Savage...?

Taildrag15X and dwall like this.
  3. Kurz

Kurz

I suppose you could call it that with some exceptions of course.

The base diameter is the modern rendition of the .473” cartridges and not the smaller diameter of the Savage cases. The shoulder is a 30 degree slope and not 40 degrees like most of the Ackley ‘Improved’ cases. This is a modern case design based on the higher pressure usages for modern ammunition.

257Blackjack likes this.
  4. 257Blackjack

If thousands of competitive shooters had high quality dies for 250 Savage and supported it I'd order a batch of 10-20 reamers, but they just don't.

It's got the heritage but 25x47L and 25XC and 25 Creed are about as easy of an entry point and utilization of popular on-hand components as you can get.

25x284 reamers are outselling my projections.

Mark W likes this.
  5. Sniper338

Sniper338

Is this just a 6XC necked up to 25 caliber?

6. 257Blackjack

Yes mandrel expand up to 25 Cal and then load and shoot.

25 XC can be used for varmint bullets too if a guy wants, but the intended use is to launch 131 gr ACE bullets.

Coincidentally when I left for lunch the 25 XC reamers were in my mailbox. Time to start shipping!

upload_2019-3-16_14-36-46.png

Rushty, pirate ammo, Mark W and 2 others like this.
  7. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

So glad the quarter bore is getting some overdue attention! It’s great for so much more than just Grandpappy’s deer rifle.

257Blackjack likes this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

How many choices in bullets do you have? What im asking is if that one bullet doesnt shoot how many more are there to choose from? Its a lot to get tooled up for another caliber in a competition type rifle and if you buy enough bullets to be practical and they dont test out theres not many to sell them to. If you get a few thousand bergers in 6mm and you need a different model you can sell those in minutes and youre not stuck with $5-600 worth of bullets you dont like.

9. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Such are the pains of a startup and buying their offerings. I'm in and hoping they shoot as documented. If they don't, I'll just get a different barrel. I'm betting they'll shoot just fine. Matter of fact my current build, (25-284) is still weeks away from even firing a shot and already thinking about a .257 Weatherby for the BJ bullets.

257Blackjack and Mark W like this.
  10. 257Blackjack

Out of some 260 shooters running 131 ACEs we had one guy that isn't satisfied with his accuracy but he has only tried 0.020" seating depth, one powder, and one neck tension.

By and large, shooters have reported great accuracy and easy loading - especially in 25x47L. It's as easy at it gets.

There is a market segment that will hold off until more choices are available. We will have two bullets in 2019 and three by 2019-2020.

We are very thankful for the shooters who jump right in - we will be marching on with our second and third design regardless, but it's a great motivator to see people's enthusiasm, appreciation, and success when they send in their Load Dev pictures, report placing high in matches, or success in Long Range Hunting.

We are doing all we can as soon as we can.

nmkid and Dusty Stevens like this.
  11. Dusty Stevens

what do we do if we take a 25cal to a match and they cant measure the holes? I don't know any measuring device that has 25cal comparators on it. Have you done any testing with something like a 25-06 running your bullets/ fast barrels? Do you have anything like an ultramag sized case or stw size for the long range hunter?

12. Kurz

Kurz

Call your match directors and the companies which make the comparators for matches and see if you can't get the two groups together since this bullet WILL get used at matches.

I'm running the .257 Weatherby cartridge with the 131 ACE which is working great. The Berger Stability program has the number @ 0.177 for 59 degrees and sea level based on my recorded velocities. I have 3 other reamers on the way along with new barrels to test more cartridges. I'm not interested in the smaller cartridges like the BR or the x47 but maybe the mid-range and maybe something else in the upper end, staying out of the STW size, although I already have that reamer for some odd reason...:eek:;)

257Blackjack likes this.
  13. 257Blackjack

I don't have any info on physical target comparators for matches. This shouldn't be too hard a hurdle to overcome.

We have posted our 25-06 data on our facebook page and multiple forums. 3140-3200 fps with H4831SC.

We do not push marketing for Super Mags like 25 STW and the like. We think the costs far outweight the benefits and the furthest we go down that road is offering 25 PRC, 25 SAUM, and 257 WBY reamers.

There are guys building 257 STW's but the extra 100-175 fps over the SAUM isn't going to kill anything much better. The 25 Creed is huntable with enough energy for medium game throughout ethical ranges. The 25x284 even better, 25 SAUM/PRC/SST is really as far as we think the cost:benefit ratio holds up and we will stock reamers up to 257 WBY.

nmkid and Dusty Stevens like this.
  14. Kurz

Kurz

When nothing else will do, serve nothing but the finest. :D;)

Bullet Glass for whiskey.jpg

dc.fireman likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

I have a 257stw reamer as well. It was my last foray into 25cal before there were decent bullets!!

257Blackjack likes this.
  16. 257Blackjack

The last guy to do one in 1:8 twist told me the bullets were going downrange just fine without any issues.

I figured we'd see them explode at those RPMs and speeds, but so far so good.

17. Kurz

Kurz

Between calculators, the RPM from 3350 fps. is 301,500 from a 1:8" twist. But the Berger stability calculator say this comes up short of the 1.5 mark by just a touch so the BC takes a tiny hit. All this from a 26" barrel and your suggested 1:8" twist. Early on we used 30" barrels simply to accommodate the slower burning powders in order to maximized the velocity.

18. 257Blackjack

Magnums get touchy with RPMs and MV. A guy can get 1:7.75" but not all barrel mfgs will do it.

Rock Creek will make 1:7.75" though.

19. Kurz

Kurz

I'm not suggesting that the 8" twist is a 'best case' alternative for the larger capacity cases. I prefer to keep the twist rate somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5 and back the velocity down a tad. This is a matter of compromise in order to achieve the best results, not who's running it the fastest. Balance in all things.

Bartlein will run any twist rate you ask for but really oddball ones will necessitate a charge. Call to get the full story or read their website. Poorly assessed decisions about a twist rate can generate a good discussion about a better solution. If you're unsure, ask them first.

Enjoy the process!;):)

20. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve had a 10 twist 257 AI for ten years. Accuracy to 500 has been mediocre at worst to inconsistent at best using various combinations of components, but generally ending by focusing on Hodgdon’s 4350 & 4831 and 100 grain SMKs.
    I have followed these developments with interest. Perhaps I’ll go with another .25 caliber barrel (in .257 AI) rather than a 6.5 or 7mm. I’d love to be able to try higher BC bullets.