25 Creedmoor 131 Blackjack's

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Hoodoo, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

Jumped on the 25 Creedmoor train this spring for my PRS build. Starting to really get it tuned in, struggled with LRP brass for a bit. Do yourself a favor and start with Alpha SRP.

I bought 6.5 Creedmoor and necked down to 25 cal. I've settled on H4350, 42.1 Grains gives me 2970 FPS and phenomenal grouping at 200 yards. For some reason this barrel likes to be jammed, which wasn't my first choice since I'll be shooting PRS matches with this. Only jamming .005 doesn't pull the bullet out though, so no issue I suppose.

I made a seating die from a Wilson blank using my chamber reamer. Resizing die was easy, swapped a 6.5 Creedmoor die with the correct .2820" bushing. Lilja 1:7 twist 3-groove barrel, went with the MK13 Mod7 contour.

Attached Files:

Bc'z, DHuffman, Eloudamy and 5 others like this.
  2. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

Very nice rifle and groups. Never thought I would want a 25 but if those bullets ever make it here I might look at something crazy like a 25-284 steel banger

Hoodoo likes this.
  3. byrddog

byrddog

Talk about a scenic place too shoot! Nice rifle as well.

Hoodoo, Lone Hunter and GlennK like this.
  4. GlennK

GlennK Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah I would like to shoot that range!

Hoodoo and JasonPeterson like this.
  5. Kurz

Kurz

Congratulations on the groups! Beautiful range for sure!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    DHuffman, okie and Hoodoo like this.
  6. 86alaskan

86alaskan Silver $$ Contributor

Nice to see another 25 in the world. I run 3 right now, with a 25 SAUM in process. should be able to get the BJ up to 3375 safely, which will make it a breeze at a mile. And they hit hard even at distance ;)

Hoodoo likes this.
  7. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

Well, we've always had the "No Krieger" rule, so now you'll finally be welcome!

DHuffman, GlennK and JasonPeterson like this.
  8. RGRobinett

RGRobinett Silver $$ Contributor

Great range, nice rig, and good shootin' - the BJs are obviously very good bullets - where .25s could/should have been forever. :eek:;)RG

Preacher, Shoebox and Hoodoo like this.
  9. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

Hat's off to Miles for finally starting this project. Long overdue.

RGRobinett likes this.
  10. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

WOW!!

11. JasonPeterson

JasonPeterson Gold $$ Contributor

I’ll call the shop next week and order my next Lilja barrel so I can shoot at that beautiful range. :)

JP

GlennK and Hoodoo like this.
  12. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

Haha, sounds like a plan! I'll send directions through text so there's not 8,000 new faces there!

JasonPeterson likes this.
  13. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

How long is your barrel and what is your opinion on how hard you are pushing pressures. Was eyeballing the 25x47 last week is the reason for asking.

14. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

This is with a Lilja 26" 3-groove barrel. Keep in mind I think a big factor here is brass. I was running 42.0 grain of powder with Norma Large Rifle Primers and blew a couple primers. Switched to Alpha small rifle and have absolutely no pressure. Also keep in mind the Elite action doesn't have an ejector, so of course one of the early pressure sign would be an ejector mark.

I really think I could get over 3000 FPS pretty easily without pressure, but it shoots so well right here why push it and risk brass life? I've chatted quite a bit with a couple buddies about doing 25 x 47's. As long as you can get good brass, I see no reason not to do it.

15. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

GIven that Lapua is the only supplier of 6.5x47 brass there is nothing but great brass available in that chambering, lol

I would sure like to see some posts about that chambering!

muleystalker likes this.
  16. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

Granted I've never shot it myself personally, but I've heard from several very reliable shooters that Lapua 6.5 X 47 brass is terrible...

17. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve shot quite a bit of it and always found it to be excellent brass and very tough.

18. Pete53

Pete53

my new Brux barrel 7 1/2 twist 25 Creedmore seems to like Reloader 17 better than H4350 for 100 yard group size but its early in break-in yet ? i am using Black Jack bullets and Lapua weighed ,neck turned brass, all Redding reloading equipment and only Wipe -Out soup type solvent cleaner.

Hoodoo likes this.
  19. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

Sure. Like I mentioned I have zero experience with it. But I've had several shooters that know what they are talking about that told me otherwise...

20. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

Been there done that! They are a noisy bunch that cry about no high bc bullets but none are willing to put a barrel with a fast enough twist to stabilize a high bc bullet on their rifles. Somehow they think it should be possible to make a high bc bullet that will stabilize in a 10" twist. Ain't gonna happen.