.25-08 ??

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by Dug, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Dug

Dug

.257-08/.25 Souper etc.

Anybody shooting one? Pro's/con's?

Think one with a Berger 115 VLD hunting bullet could really suit my needs.

-Approx. velocity with a 24" barrel?

-Would custom reloading dies break the bank? Or are there less expensive alternatives? I have a Redding type s die set in .260 Rem & thinking the body die would work, & with a bushing & mandrel change, the neck die would be a go. What about bullet seating?
    I know I'm sounding like a tight wad here, but the price of a barrel & reamer are a given with any build I do. Just thinking that die cost could double the price of the project.

FWIW, I am an experienced re loader, only my poor ability to put my thoughts into text makes me sound like a newby. :-[

Thanks in advance, DUG

2. bheadboy

bheadboy

i thought about it and gave it up just like the 25-06 vs the 6.5-06 as the bullet choice for the negligable .007 diameter difference is not worth it.

.257 vs .264 forget it-- the .264 sellection is huge, and the case to bore is lower,

Bob

3. placek59

placek59

Dies- I'm not sure what you want as far as quality of dies, but RCBS makes them. I think they were around 100 bucks. I also think that ch4d makes them for around 85. I don't have any experience with the ch4d products, so I don't know how good they are or work. I bought a reamer last winter and have been wanting to build one, just haven't got around to it yet.

4. Dug

Dug

I've just learned of a very infomative thread on this subject in another section. It answered most of my questions.

Thanks again.

5. Heman

Heman

Just curious what did you learn? Was wondering why there has never meen a .25-08 since there is every other version of the 08 that the 06 has accept for this one.

6. M700

M700

I suspect that the .257 Roberts, even in a short action rifle, fills that niche so well that there is little demand for the .25-08.

If a little more zip is desired, there's always the .257 AI, a very simple conversion and good velocity.

7. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

Really,the only thing wrong if you want to call it wrong is bullet selection period.I have a .260 and never looked back to other calibers due to the afformentioned reason.

8. coonhunter70

coonhunter70

If your bent on a 25 cal another one to consider would be a 25-284.

9. rcparker1

rcparker1 Silver $$ Contributor

Kevin weaver at weaver rifles has a 25/08 reamer and has built them. He is building a rifle for me and has been very helpful and friendly. You may want to check with him.