25-06 Best bullet/powder for deer

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by BountyHunter, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Site $$ Contributor

What seems to be the top 1-2 bullets and powders out of a 25-06 for big whitetails?

thanks

BH

2. bozo699

bozo699 Site $$ Contributor

Asking what the best bullet always ends up in a argument so as to what bullet is the best for white tail would just be a opinion at best anyway, but I have had good luck with Hornaday 117 BT interlocks and H-4831SC BR-2 primers and Winchester brass, it shoots under 1/2" and the bullet is soft enough to expand on white tail yet hard enough to hold up pretty well if you happen to hit bone, I would like to try the accubonds in mine but the Hornadays have done so well for me I think I will just stick with what I have, of course this is only my opinion.
    Wayne.

3. CaptainMal

CaptainMal

Second Bozo's opinion on the 117 Hornady Interlock.It holds together well, expands well, is relatively inexpensive and shoots well.

For me, Reloader 22 powder worked great also.

4. alf

alf Site $$ Contributor

Only a sample of one without getting into specific bullets, but mine shined with H4350 with weights to 100 grains, then H4831SC took over for the bigger slugs.

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Site $$ Contributor

I like IMR 7828. It fills the case and produces good velocity and accuracy. A 120 Gr. Nos partition will take any deer just fine--though they are a little tough for the small whitetails in my areal.

6. areaone

areaone Site $$ Contributor

IMR 4350 with a 117 gr boattail sierra or try a nosler partition in115 gr. Works for me.....47.5 gr. 25/06 is a great flat shooting med game caliber. super antelope rifle

7. 2506

I have shot deer with a great deal of bullet weights and makes in the 25-06 over the past 20 or so years and I have stuck with the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base for the past 15 or so years. It shoots 1/4 MOA in my rifle and kills everything I have have shot with it (at least 200 deer) with one shot with 99% DRT. I use 49 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250, Rem case. 3000 fps from 26" Shilen SS #6.

8. areaone

areaone Site $$ Contributor

2506------- as my previous post I think you and I are in definite agreement, my mid 70' Ruger 77 didn't like the 49 grains, so I settled on the 47.5, my 117 gr bt Sierra is my original box from the early 80's, never tried the FB 117, probably a little heavier jacket than the BT, which would be better. I really like. that caliber. I spoke with a gentleman a number of years ago that had used a 2506 with the 115 or 120 Nosler partition to kill a number of Elk, he said-"it was all the gun I needed."

9. bozo699

BH,
    You see now what I meant about opinions on bullets?? I believe that Nosler Partitions are way to hard for deer especially white tail deer, I don't feel they will expand reliably on the thin skinned critters of course this is only my opinion if others have good luck with them then that's great, I really like the Partitions on elk, with some people it's a Ford/Chevy thing, for some it's a accuracy thing and for some it's a performance thing, I like to look at the overall picture of accuracy, performance and or past experience from experimentation, I think just about any bullet you can buy for a 25-06 can and will kill a deer ;)
    Wayne.

10. Preacher

Preacher

The 115 Berger VLD is a very dependable hunting bullet...

11. Larryh128

Larryh128 Site $$ Contributor

I tryed a bunch but H4831SC is an extremely easy to load powder & very accurate in my Sako 25-06. I'm thinking about 52 grs with a 110-115 gr bullet.(double check, I'm working from memory) If you're shooting big stuff, think Accubond, Barnes TTSX, or Berger hunting. There are other choices that work also but those are all extremely accurate & really do the job. The 25-06 with any of those bullets is like the hammer of Thor.

12. 2506

I have shot deer with the 115 Nosler Partition and believe me it will open up. It is a great bullet, not the most accurate but still minute of deer to waaaaaay out there.
    52 grs H4831 or the SC version seems to be the standard load with 115 to 120 gr bullets in most rifles. One of the toughest lead core bullets I have ever used is the old
    120 Speer Grand Slam with the hard lead in the base and the soft in the nose. If I was going to elk hunt with my 25-06 I would dig them out of my bullet stash.

13. motobtcr

motobtcr Site $$ Contributor

I've had excellent results with Nosler 100g Ballistic Tips and IMR-4350...for terminal performance and accuracy. Been loading this combination for 10+ years

14. 300Ultra

300Ultra

I'm a RL19 and IMR 4350 fella. The 110gr A-bond and again the 117 Hornady are sweet deer bullets. I personally think the 25/06 is one of the most overlooked rounds going. I'm the owner of my father-in-laws old M700 BDL 25 otter now and it's a real shooter. I've really backed off shooting it the last couple years. Trying to save some of the good in it for my kids. So,I may just have to pick up another "new" one to enjoy.

15. Dave T

Dave T Site $$ Contributor

bozo69, when you said starting a conversation about what bullet is best would get folks upset you were right on. I wasn't going to jump in here until your comments about the partition being "too hard" for white tail deer. Oh do I disagree, I find the Nosler partition to be an age old time proven excellent bullet for deer the size of white tails. Not the best at weight retention, but they expand and retain plenty weight and I find them deadly, of course this is just my experience with them and of course I could be wrong.
    Dave T

16. bozo699

Dave,
    I wouldn't say your wrong, or that I am wrong, it simply your experience and observations which equates to your opinion same as with my opinion of them, again I state there a excellent large game bullet and not really a reliable thin skinned game bullet IMHO which of course is just a opinion :) I have killed several deer with Nosler partitions in my 25-06 and my .243 I have just found better bullets for the job IMO, take care and Merry Christmas to you Dave and I hope them partitions take you a trophy buck next year ;D
    Wayne.

17. Larryh128

Larryh128 Site $$ Contributor

The partition is and probably always will be an excellent deer bullet. I never mention them anymore because I feel time has passed them by in terms of having better choices available. They always performed as advertised with no failures but depending upon the box that you opened, top accuracy wasn't a given. Inside 300 yds, they're still a good choice. Beyond that, there are better bullets.

18. sbhooper

sbhooper

I believe that the Nosler Partition is still a hard bullet to beat. I don't understand the part about being too hard. The front part of a partition is not hard and is made to expand easily. I do agree that there may be better bullets if you are shooting everything past 400 yards. Some rifles have always had accuracy problems with them, but I have not seen that in my experience. In both of my 7 mags, they shoot easily sub-minute. The partition is still around because they just plain work. They are not really needed for deer-sized game unless you just want to shoot lighter bullets, but they will always perform.

19. WYcoyote

WYcoyote Site $$ Contributor

I've only got a sample of one but the Berger 115 gr Hunting VLD ahead of H-4831SC worked great.
    Buck was at 125 yards hit in the liver/diaphragm area, took a couple sickly steps and crumpled.
    Insides were turned to jello and a large shard of jacket was found next to the hide on the far side.
    These bullets are advertised to penetrate three inches and then grenade, and I'd say it did just that.
    There are several theories on the the best way to have your bullet perform, but if maximum energy transfer to the vitals without an exit hole, and a short trailing job is what you are looking for, this is a good one for that.

20. M700

M700

I don't know that there's a "best" combination - but there are some very good ones. I didn't start using the .25-06 until a few years ago, but have taken five mule deer with it. Two with a 100 gr Barnes TSX driven to about 3340 fps via H4350 and three with the 115 gr Berger VLD loaded with Retumbo.

Very good results in each case. The 100 gr Barnes TSX is a very tough bullet and penetrated completely through. The 115 Berger performs like WYcoyote states. They penetrate with a barely perceptible entrance wound, then destroy the internals. Very quick kills. Accurate too.

This year I think I'm turning back to an old favorite, the Nosler Partition. My rifle is shooting the 115 gr Nosler Partition well, and I've trusted the Partitions since the 1970's. They still work just fine.

Have also heard excellent things about the 100 gr Hornady, but other than a little casual target shooting, I haven't done much with them. The 100 gr Sierra proved seriously accurate from a heavy-barrel .25-06 I used to own. That one was great with H4831.

I think it's probably tougher to find a .25-06 deer load that doesn't do well.

Regards, Guy