.243 and 65 gr. v-max loads?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by pacificman, Jan 13, 2019.

1. pacificman

pacificman

What is your favorite .243 win loads with 65 gr. v-max? I'm thinking of trying varget to start
    then maybe H4350. What do you guys recommend with that bullet?

2. Plumsask

Plumsask

I cannot comment on the 65, but the 75 shot well with IMR4064, and H4350, all around 3300-3350 FPS which is quite mild.

pacificman likes this.
  3. K22

K22

Both the powders you list will work but I prefer the faster powders with bullets lighter than 80 grain in the 243.

One that I've had a lot of success with is H4895. Also IMR 4064 is a good choice which is similar to Varget.

pacificman likes this.
  4. tomswede

tomswede

Just been trying some Sierra 70gr Matchkings with R15, results have been good.

pacificman likes this.
  5. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

I know that this may well be considered heresy, but I have never had real good luck with Varget in any cartridge. Probably just me.
    If you aren't really stuck on 65-grain bullets, I would suggest 75-grain or 87-grain VMAX, and I would have to add Nosler 80-grain BTSP, due to their superior long-range characteristics. My best powders for these to date are AA2700, H4350 and IMR4064 in order of accuracy in my .243. AA2700 and H4350 are so close in accuracy that it doesn't really matter, though 2700 has a very slight edge.
    Just my two cents. Good luck and stay safe.

Idaho-Lefty and pacificman like this.
  6. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I built a 12 twist dasher and shoot the 65 V-Max. Love them.

I know it is not an apples to apples deal, but hey, they're both fruit at least!!

I usually use RL 15 or Varget, but i switched to H 355. If you usually shoot one of the 4350's in your 243, then Varget or something similar should work great.

Tod

pacificman likes this.
  7. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

I would really try n160. Start at 48.5 and work up to 51.5

pacificman and Idaho-Lefty like this.
  8. pacificman

pacificman

I appreciate all the info guys...It always helps to get idea's as it may eliminate steps in finding a good
    load in a new rifle to start out with. I plan on whacking a few coyotes with whatever I come up with.:D
    I may try some heavier bullets but was thinking of a bit of speed too...hence the 65 grainers.:cool::)

9. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Hey, everyone likes speed! And experimenting is always fun, but depending on your planned distances, if you run the numbers you will soon see that even light, fast bullets lose both velocity and trajectory advantages relatively quickly when compared to heavier, though slower, bullets with higher B.C. values. Those light, fast bullets probably won't be hide-friendly at the closer ranges either (I never go lighter than 75-grains in .243 so only guessing here).
    Not trying to talk you out of the 65-grainers, just suggesting options. Try the 65-grain VMAX bullets if you wish. Seeing what they can do might just be fun.
    Let us know what direction you choose with your results, and just enjoy!

10. urbanrifleman

Not everyone takes hides.

11. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Again; just suggesting options.

pacificman likes this.
  12. urbanrifleman

Some of us like the SPLODY. :)

13. pacificman

pacificman

I will probably start with the 65 grainers and then I do have 75 and 87 grain v-maxes along with some berger
    bullets to try. I do intend to have some fun checking some different bullets ....I'm not too concerned with the coyote
    hides ...If when hit and not torn up too bad I skin them...if blown in half or worse I'll leave em lay...:p:D. SSL I hear
    what yer saying and may try and have two or three different weight bullet loads for for my rifle...most shots I get at
    coyotes have been within 300 yards but it would be nice to have some heavy bullets for the long stuff too.

14. urbanrifleman

Do yourself a favor and try the 70 tnt and varmeggeddon. Both are really great. The TNT is very impressive.

pacificman likes this.
  15. urbanrifleman

I bought 500 of the Barts Avengers. The Barts shoot a teeny tinny better than the TNT. But it is shocking how close they are considering the TNT is sold in bulk packs.

Mark W likes this.
  16. bloc

bloc

I shoot a Savage LRP. Greg Tannel installed a bushing in the firing pin hole and worked his magic on the pin.

I’ve found several powders that shoot the 65 gr VMax very accurately: Varget, IMR 4320, H 4895, AA 4064 and Superformance. All easily sub-MOA (5 shot groups).

I’m sure other powders will work as well, maybe better, but I haven’ tried thm out yet. The bullet just seems to fly right when shot from my rifle.

pacificman likes this.
  17. n zeder

n zeder

bought my 10 yr old son a t3x tikka in .243,loaded for rabbit shooting here in new zealand. with 65gr vmax i am using 8208 @40.6gr.very accurate/explosive.
    3450fps

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    Idaho-Lefty likes this.