.243 AI magazine questions

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Rem6br, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Rem6br

Rem6br

I'm preparing to do a custom build and gonna do a .243 AI or 6 SLR with an 8 twist brux and a custom short Action repeater with a rem 700 footprint. I would like to shoot the 115 dtac or maybe the 105 Berger vld .I'm thinking they are gonna be too long for a standard bdl type mag box without seating them too far into the case and I don't want to be into the neck/shoulder junction with the bearing surface.can anyone that shoots these bullets in these cartridges give me some info on options for a magazine?
    Thanks

2. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

I shot 115DTACs @ 2.850" in my old .243WinMatch from an AICS magazine & DBM. If you remove the front plate inside the mag, you'd get another ~.100" wiggle room...
    As for an AI, my .22-243AI has the same detachable magazine setup, and those little, sharp shouldered missles feed/cycle just fine...
    Lots of good AICS based DBMs to choose from...APA, Badger, CDI, Curtis, Hawkins, Seekins, Surgeon, PT&G, etc. Pick one that has the features you'd like that's in your price range, and you'll be good to go!

Bowologist and Rem6br like this.
  3. 243Lapua

243Lapua

Make sure your action is set up for long bullets. Sometimes there is the issue of the normal 700 Rem footprint. I use accurate mag brand which are already set up for extended bullets. And I have a Stealth Trigger guard from PT&G. Minor magazine lip adjustmrnt had to be done also for proper feeding issue. Good luck with your project do your research and shoot straight.

Rem6br likes this.
  4. Rem6br

Rem6br

Thanks for the guidance guys! I have decided to go with a defiance machine rebel
    medium action for this build. I will check the mag options posted.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  5. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

I have ran 2.860" length with 115 DTAC in my AI, Accurate mag, Alpha II mags. No issues at all.

Rem6br likes this.