240 weatherby mag questions?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by fordwrench, Jun 27, 2012.

1. fordwrench

fordwrench

Picked up my first weatherby in a 240 mag a few weekend ago and would like some insight. I have been reloading for accuracy for over 20 yrs and have had most all variants in rifles varmint to deer. The last 10 yrs i have always set my dies to lightly bump my shoulders without the firing pin installed for light bolt thrust on a case that has been shot at least twice. Once set i have little problem maintaining brass as it starts to harden. Now, this weatherby has me surpised. I realize that it is belted and headspaces off belt but i have been waiting to feel something in the way of bolt thrust which hasnt showed up. I would have thought by the third loading i would see something but i dont. I am very happy with the gun and cartridge. Quickly becoming my favorite round for a light varminter. Lazer flat and massive distruction on varmints. Who knows about this round or can comment on reloading weatherby cases with their double radius shoulders/belts?