22lr shooting from bench

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by chet, Aug 31, 2019.

1. chet

chet

i am shooting a 22 lr target rifle from a bench, i want to replace my current scope with a athlon Talos 6x24x50 any comments on this choice, any better choices for the max 300 dollar limit. my current scope is the mueller 8x32x44 and i am having a very difficult time with eye relief target disappearing and so on. plus it is not a bright scope to start with.

chet

2. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

Chet, we may need a bit more info about the type of targets you'll be shooting. Also if your only using it for benchrest shooting a fixed power in 24-36x would be ideal. If multi purpose I'd stick with a variable.
    If just for br I'd recommend a used Weaver 36x. Price should be near your $300 budget but likely a bit more. I've had a bunch & all have been clear & rock solid.

Keith

Bruce Hawkins, dogdude and Urv like this.
  3. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

If the gun is strictly BR use, then I second the Weaver 36x, some used ones are at the $325-350 marks IIRC.

4. gtl1946

gtl1946 Gold $$ Contributor

For the price and quality in your price range you will not beat it ... just bite the bullet !!!

5. 67gt350

67gt350

Chet,
    I just purchased a like new in box Weaver T 36 from a forum member that was advertised to have a target dot versus the fine crosshair reticle. It arrived and has the fine crosshair reticle and the seller has refused to take it back. I paid $325.00 and will sell for $310.00 (and I will pay the shipping in the continental US). If you are ok with the fine crosshair reticle this should suit your needs. Mark

dmoran likes this.
  6. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Weaver T36

7. chet

chet

hi mark
    i just got a new T 36 with the dot, not sure i would like the fine crosshair only

chet

8. 67gt350

67gt350

Chet,
    You will come to appreciate your Weaver....good scope, great value Good Luck m

9. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

To the OP, the reason you are loosing the target is not because of eye relief but because of the exit pupil is small and you get the pupil of your eye off axis. The exit pupil on any scope is the front lens aperature divided by magnification. So at 32X your exit pupil is 1.375mm If you are outside and the pupil of your eye is stopped down to 2mm, moving your head 2mm (about an 1/8 inch) would cause you to loose the target. This has noting to do with eye relief.

Try an experiment and back your Muller down to 24X and see if things work really good. That would show you it is not the scope. An 8-32X56 would make things much better but would blow your $300 budget wide open. The exit pupil of a T36 is even smaller 40/36 = 1.1mm making things even harder for you.

So yes the Talos would be better, 50/24 which would be a little over 2mm exit pupil.

HTH

David