22cal 62gr ttsx imr8208

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Thisisnoteasy88, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Thisisnoteasy88

Thisisnoteasy88 Silver $$ Contributor

Trying to find some loading data for these barnes 62gr ttsx bullets and I want to use imr8208xbr. Reason why I want to use 8208 is because I got about 10lbs donated to me. I have not shot the 8208 much but I am in the middle of doing ladder tests for a couple of bullets. The barnes 62gr ttsx is the one bullet i cant seem to find or dont already have info for. My gun is a trued remington 700 with a 1 in 14 twist shilen match barrel. Before I get knocked on for running a heavy bullet with a slow twist I will say that I have tried anything and everything you can imagine and the only thing that have me any kind of good results was a 62gr nosler. I personally dont like nosler but I got them cheap to try. They worked so now on to a sierra tmk 60gr and this 62gr ttsx. If anyone may have a book that gives you the load data for this combo and only this combo would you please share it. Thanks everyone. And oh I am new here but not new to shooting. Nice to meet everyone.

2. thatguyshm

thatguyshm

What cartridge are you loading for? The 62gr TTSX will probably be too long for any 14T, so I wouldn't load too many if you want to try them out though.

AckleymanII and Mark W like this.
  3. Kurz

Kurz

Thisisnoteasy88,

Welcome to the forums!

It's the length of a bullets which is used to determine the twist rate with other variables such as BC and velocity added in. In your situation the the Barnes TTSX is a full 0.210" longer than the Nosler 62 grain bullet which could (will) have a detrimental effect on stability using a 1:14" twist. The Berger Stability Calculator generates a 1:11.7" twist for your TTSX bullets using basic parameters.

Mark W likes this.
  4. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Too long and heavy for your 1/14 twist, I am sure. Load a couple and shoot them, I would bet they keyhole and that will answer your question re: their use in your rifle. Think you need at least a 1/11 or 1/10 twist for heavier than 60 grain.

5. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Thisisnoteasy, you did not state the caliber. It is a Waste of time to ever load 62g tsx in a 14T!

60g Sierra HP may work as they shoot well in a couple that I have, don't know about the tmk.

good luck

6. Thisisnoteasy88

Sorry it's for a 223. It may be a waste of time and stupid and all of the above but nothing else I have loaded up will work and i have loaded up almost any combo anyone could think of. So again I just need to find the load info for barnes 62gr ttsx on top of imr 8208xbr for 223 remington. Thanks all

7. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERSE 15 Silver $$ Contributor

YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO LOAD 53GR TTSX OR 55GR TTSX WITH A 14 TWIST OR USE A SLING SHOT WITH THEM 62"S :D

Zero333 likes this.
  8. Thisisnoteasy88

We will have to see what happens. From all the data I have its pointing me in this direction and this is the only thing I have left to try before I have the thing rebuilt. So I guess make fun of my situation all you guys want but all I'm asking for is some help on some data using these bullets with this powder. Would be super nice if someone could just be serious, post the data, and tell me good luck

9. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERSE 15 Silver $$ Contributor

GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND NOT MAKING FUN OF YOU JUST TRYING TO SAVE YOU SOME MONEY, TIME, BULLETS, POWDER AND PRIMERS WISH YOU THE BEST OF WHATEVER YOU SO CHOOSE.:D GOOD LUCK

Mark W likes this.
  10. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

62 TTSX will NOT stabilize in a 12" twist. So 14" twist is even worst !, unless you're 20,000 feet above sea level, you might get them to stabilize... might.

55 ttsx will not stabilize in a 14" twist either. maybe the 50 ttsx, just maybe.

14" 223rem is only good for up to 53 gr cup and core traditional type bullets.

11. Kurz

Kurz

In all sincerity, no one here is making fun of you at all. This is one of the best forums for getting great information from hardcore shooters and reloaders. We are simply trying to save you some aggravation and money wasted on something with a high failure rate. Now if you insist on trying to shoot these, please do because you feel the necessity of seeing for yourself.

Then your data is incorrect for the Barnes solid bullets. This bullet is too long to stabilize in your barrel with the 1:14" twist. Your data might suffice for some cup and core bullets but certainly not the solids in this weight/length range.

Magazine length 2.260", 24" barrel, IMR 8208:

Start at 22.0 grains and test in 0.1 grain increments watching CAREFULLY for pressure signs.

My calculations state that 1:8.3" twist will be stable.

Please remember to post any findings as we're all truly interested in new data!

Enjoy the process!

Thisisnoteasy88 and Zero333 like this.