224 Valkyrie What Happened?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Pawnee Bill, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

Did it ever make a shooter? My search revealed mostly load work, barrel choice, bullet choice, etc, but I couldn't find any "ahaa" posts/info that said this is it!! Most posts were gas gun related, did anyone make a quality bolt gun and try it?

2. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

AJC likes this.
  3. 5spd

5spd

I built 3 224V all on the ar15 frame for others, nothing to write home or be amazed at, owners just wanted a gun for coyote to deer on their ranches and a bit more speed/omph vs the .223s they also have.

4. jonkeil243

jonkeil243

I am finishing a build now its on a blueprinted Rem 700, with a Bartlien 1 in 6.75 to 1 in 6 gain twist barrel to play with the 90 and 95 grain bullets. Its going in a XLR industries element chassis and a Leopold 6.5x20 mk4. Its getting cerakoted right know. Forum member Carlsbad did the bolt work and forum member Lee Gardner is doing the gunsmithing work. Dave kiff made me a reamer for the 224 Valkyrie to be put on a bolt gun to maximize case capacity and to accommodate the 90 and 95 gr bullets. I will let y'all know how it shoots.

GotRDid and Bc'z like this.
  5. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Not over 10 minutes ago I was master minding a case size for the 90-95's to get to 1K. Anyone here done it? they sure have some impressive BC.

I'll be eagerly waiting to here you report on your new build.

6. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I just pulled out my 22-250 and shot that.;) I think I saved some money.:D

simo hayha, Ramblerman, Bc'z and 9 others like this.
  7. argrendel

argrendel Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Proof research 22 Nosler coming today. Looking to shoot 69 SMKs maybe try Nosler’s 85 RDF.
    Hoping I wasn’t too impulsive...

22-250 with a 8 twist would be sweet!

'Freak and Rocketvapor like this.
  8. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Jon,

Go with the classic 22-250AI or a 22 Dasher would be pretty neat. Just dont do a 22 Creedmoor, I can really see you wearing tactical pants and a tac vest. Hahaha

RDavies likes this.
  9. Kurz

Kurz

The Federal .224 Valkyrie was developed for the AR15 platform right from the start. But given that premise, there have been a large number of bolt action builders who have tried this cartridge in bolt action rifles just because they can, the same as testing bolt action cartridges in AR platforms. And yes Creedmoor haters, you can attest to the fact that those two, now three cartridges have demonstrated their abilities to perform in gas guns successfully. Too bad, so sad...;)

If you need a comparison of advertising hype between some cartridges at release, go read the articles pushed by Federal to publicize and hype the Valkyrie. Same/same in my opinion. Although given the performance factors of the Valkyrie, I don't see any reason for any of the hoopla at all, even in a bolt action rifle. It is an 'also-ran' cartridge. One of the popular premise for the cartridge is the use of heavy for caliber bullets. Just read the data then go shoot any other .22 caliber cartridge in a bolt gun with the exception of the .223 Rem. which won't make the cut. I shoot the .22-250AI and the .22 Creedmoor with the heaviest Sierra 95 gr bullets with exceptional performance and the Valkyrie can't even come close. But, if 2,600 fps with a 90 gr. bullet really makes your hair stand on end:eek:, have at it. :DThe rest of us will be content to shoot our bolt rifles at 3,200 to 3,300 fps using a cartridge better suited to shoot those heavy bullets.

Geno C and Bbear like this.
  10. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

That's kinda what I thought.

11. greisdor

greisdor Silver $$ Contributor

If you have a ppc bolt face bench gun - you can use it for the Valkyrie - mine is shooting well. Also, if you neck down the 24 Nosler you can have a Valkyrie in AR 15 223 bolt. Lots of choices for this 22. More, it will have great barrel life - not like the 220 swift / 22-250.

If all you are concerned with is speed - then get a 22 Cheytac or PRC.

12. 300meter

300meter Silver $$ Contributor

If you're building a bolt gun, why not 22BR? Practically the same performance as a 22-250 and much better barrel life. At least that has been my experience. My 22BR is one of my favorite prairie dog rifles.

I think these new 22 calibers are more about marketing than performance.

Milo 2.0, Bbear, joshb and 1 other person like this.
  13. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

.22 BR is outstanding accuracy wise. That’s what I would choose.

CT10ring and joshb like this.
  14. Kurz

Kurz

Mediocre performance exchanged for barrel life really doesn't interest me at all, specifically when I can have excellent performance and expected, anticipated barrel life.:) Shooting a ho-hum cartridge for a long time is absolutely pointless especially considering the advertising stating the cartridge was developed for shooting the heavy bullets. Counterproductive and a waste of money.;)

Titandriver likes this.
  15. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

A gent named Rich Kayser from Idaho wrote about the .224 Valkyrie long ago in Precision Shooting magazine. Is he the inventor of the cartridge?

16. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

It’s a great AR15 chambering.
    Bolt actions have better options.

17. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

His was the 223 Valkyrie using the 284 Win. as the parent case.

seymour fish and KMart like this.
  18. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

thekriebles likes this.
  19. TGP

TGP Gold $$ Contributor

Sawcarver,
    The only tactical pants you'll see me in when I'm shooting my 22 Creedmoor will be wranglers hahaha

Jon,
    My XP is pushing a 90 gr Sierra right at the 3000 fps mark with it's most accurate load, 16" barrel

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    sawcarver likes this.