.224 cal twisted 1-8 or 1-9'whats the best cartridge choice??

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by coyotewallace, Jan 6, 2006.

1. coyotewallace

coyotewallace

need some help here..
    I'm looking at having a new barrel made for my encore.I was looking at the 6.5-284 for long range but now i thinking what about a 22 center fire to run say high 60 grainers Thur 80's with 75vmax as my main focus. And i just can't decide on which case or twist rate to go with. Barrel life is a thought but i will 90% of the time use this for shooting coyotes so if I can get say 1500-2000+ rounds out of the barrel I can live with that!!! All advice will be helpful in making my final choice......
    THX!!
    CHUCK

2. ChuckMiller

ChuckMiller

I've got a PSS 223 with a 1-9 and the 75Vmax is the most accurate bullet I shoot in that rifle. But if I were to build a coyote rifle to shoot 224 heavies I would choose a 1-8 chambered in a 22-250. Mainly because the ability to feed from a mag would be important on followup shots. Second would be terminal ballistics at distance which the 223/75gr wouldn't give you at 300 plus yds, and last would be cheap/available component costs. If it's gonna be an Encore barrel get it in a Ackley chamber. If it's a bolt gun order a little extra barrel length and rechamber after 1000-1500 rounds and your good to go.

3. Apache

Apache Silver $$ Contributor

Look at the 224TTH and the improved version...75grn Amax@ around 3600fps and better.

4. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Remington 700 22/250 Ackley Improved with a 26 inch Pac-Nor SS/SM 1 in 9 twist that just loves those 75gr A-max bullets at 3540fps.
    Very accurate, and very deadly on 500 yard ground hogs, even the 60 gr Nosler Partition will shoot plenty good in that twist.
    A 26 inch 1 in 9 Encore barrel would be sweet in that caliber and twist, and you dont need to worry about OAL.

5. Mark Walker in TX

Mark Walker in TX

1 in 8 for your stated purposes.

6. coyotewallace

coyotewallace

what about using the 220 swift case instead of having to mess with fireforming to the ackley in 22-250???

7. Shooter32

Shooter32

The 220 swift will give you alot more headaches than fire-froming the 22-250 AI . And not be as accurate ethier .

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  8. RickB

RickB

A .22x6mm Remington will do what you want without the headache of fireforming brass in a barrel with a short accuracy life.

The TTH is nothing more nor less than the .22x6mm Rem that someone decided to hang their name on and claim they invented something new just because they decided to use a faster twist barrel and a heavier bullet than most, but not all, of the people who had been shooting it for years.

By the way, the most common name for it is .22 Coyote. Guess what it's good for?

A friend chambered one up for himself and it is capable of shooting very fine groups at velocities that will take care of business.

9. SaminVirginia

SaminVirginia

I have a Standard 22-250 with a Hart barrel that finished out at 27", Had it since 2002. Its throated for the 75 grain A-maxes.
    It shoots 68-80 grain pills very well. It's shooting the 68 starke rpvb's in the high .2 and low .3 with consistancy! Would I do it again? NO....
    It's hard on a barrel pushing that BIG **s bullet down that little hole. It is DEVESTATING on crows! and would drop a coyote DEAD. Performance on grounhogs isn't what I would like though, as the expansion of the longer bullet isn't what a blitzking would be. If you think you need that heavy of a bullet with that much velocity, move up to the next caliber.... I wish I had listened to my buddy telling me about the big bullet & the little hole!!!
    I now have a 243AI that pushes the 70 grain blitking at 3850fps and its a FLAT SHOOTIN BOOGER! That kills the grounhogs DRT!:D I hope this helps! Sam in Va.