.224 90gr and 95gr SMK? Good reports?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by InkedIan, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

@raptor1ronin is running 90smks and doing pretty well. His 90vlds dont make it to the target.

raptor1ronin likes this.
  2. raptor1ronin

raptor1ronin

Like he said, The only issue I have with the SMK bullets is they will throw a random, could be the factory tipping I still don't know. But i have had VLD come apart here in AZ.

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Ian - I have recently been running the 95 SMKs out of a 6.8-twist barrel. According to Berger's twist rate calculator, that is sufficient to achieve the full intrinsic BC at 75 degrees F, and an elevation of 1000 ft. I was out shooting the 95s out again yesterday to set the tuner at 114 yd. Afterward, I managed to move one range over and get 10 shots on target at 620 yd just before full dark set in. I couldn't see the bullet holes in the Shoot-N-C due to darkness, and could only see the orange aiming dot with difficulty. Fortunately, I was able to break a couple orange clay pigeons laying on the back berm, so I figured it was dialed in close enough to shoot a group. At that point, I held dead center on the orange aiming dot and let 10 shots fly with no scope corrections. There was very little wind at the time. When I drove out to collect the target and saw the group below, I was rather pleased. A couple clicks less elevation, and all 10 shots would have been well within the X-ring. So far, the 95s look to be working pretty well.

The target below is an 18" Shoot-N-C with all the lines/numbers marked out with a fat black sharpie. I replaced the smaller center dot with a 1.5" orange paster, and scratched in 3", 6" and 12" circles with a compass to represent the X, 10, and 9 rings of the MR-1FC 600 yd F-Class target.

95 SMKs 620 yd 11-29-18.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. DukeDuke

DukeDuke

Looks great!
    What cartridge was it?

5. abersfelderami

abersfelderami