.223 to .223 Ackley

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by centershot, Mar 1, 2017.

1. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

I recently purchased a Savage 12 in .223. I would like to make it an Ackley. Was told that it would have to be set back and the shank would possibly not be long enough. I always thought that an Ackley reamer could just be run into a standard chamber. Not a target rifle, a varmint rifle. Thoughts?

2. David

David Silver $$ Contributor

Whoever told you it had to be set back told you correct. Typically they are set back one thread before reaming to an ackley.

3. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

There's a fellow, who visits this site regularly, that swears it can be done safely by just running the reamer in without any setback. You may want to consult the "great savagedasher" for details.

JRS likes this.
  4. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

It is possible to do without setting back one thread with a barrel nut setup. That is, if you don't care if the barrel stampings don't line up just so. After rechambering, the barrel will screw in .004" farther for proper headspace. There's room.

Wirelessguy2005 likes this.
  5. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

6. sundance

sundance Silver $$ Contributor

Did it shoot good as a 223 ? If not a good shooter now making it an ackley may be a waste of money.

msinc, Greyfox and mikeinct like this.
  7. Wirelessguy2005

Wirelessguy2005 Silver $$ Contributor

I had a factory Savage target barrel chambered in 223 that I rechambered to 223ai last summer, it shot excellent as an ai and I wouldn't hesitate to do another one. At the same time I did the chamber work I also recrowned to an 11 degree target crown and installed a muzzle brake, worked great for pdogs.

8. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

I would set back enough to get rid of the old neck, this would clean up a lot of sins in the old chamber.

msinc, mikeinct and WoodchuckWhacker like this.
  9. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

This will work fine. But Ackleyman's idea is even better.

10. markT

markT

What is the cost of doing something like that? And are gun smith's capable and knowledgeable enough to do this?

11. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

This is not a big deal. On a Savage barrel one needs to make a .050" facing cut on the breech (Savage barrel threads are 20 TPI - .050" = 1 thread) and run a finish reamer in to the proper depth. Like any other job involving a lathe, it's all in the setup. The actual cutting takes just a few minutes. The setup takes much longer in order to obtain the proper outcome.

12. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Any gunsmith not capable of doing this should be mowing lawns. To clean the neck up, if you want that, it needs to be set back the length of the neck and the threads possibly extended that much farther forward. This would also give it a fresh throat.

msinc and Webster like this.
  13. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

The job is easy. Just consider again, if your return on investment is worth it for a factory barrel?

14. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

Putting gas in my mower as I type........:confused:

15. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

Indeed, this is the question at hand. If it were my rifle, I'd screw a different barrel on it. Lots of good choices out there for not a whole lot more than what the machine time would cost.

My mower's all gassed up. Now, where's the pre-mix for the string trimmer . . . .

16. markT

markT

Gas is about $2.05 a gallon in SC / Stihl 6 pack synthetic oil mix 2.6 Oz bottles.. $18.94 on ebay..
    Now: the question remains.. "what is the cost of having this done"?
    Anybody have experience? And I cut my grass last evening.. :)

17. Wirelessguy2005

Wirelessguy2005 Silver $$ Contributor

Most gunsmiths are going to charge you the cost of a Regular chamber job or close to it.

18. Sonic Crack

Sonic Crack Silver $$ Contributor

Its not always as easy as "setting it back one thread" You have to take into consideration neck diameters, free bore length and if they will clean up. If you have the room, just chop the tenon off. It might be cheaper to just find a pre fit also.

19. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Free bore length would be a major concern between the 2 different reamers that will be used. Would make more sense to me to just get a fresh barrel and not have any worries. Just my .002.:D:D

Paul

www.boltfluting.com

fredo likes this.
  20. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Try Husqvarna's mixed gas and oil in your weed eater and chain saws - $7.00 a liter, 97 octane, non-ethanol. Wonderful and worth every penny.