223 Rem Ackley Improved???

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Jakes10mm, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

can someone please post a reamer print of the 223 AI

Thanks
    later
    p

2. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

found a die locally.
    going to build another one.

later
    p

3. rundm

rundm

can someone out there help me with a load and the info I need to fire form 223 ai cases without using a bullet. I used to have the steps around here somewhere but cannot seem to find the info.
    Thanks, RG

4. jwv2001

jwv2001

You will find plenty of formulas on the internet for fireforming. In my experience with the 223 AI, I got the best, most reliable results by annealing the cases first. 12.5 gr. of Bullseye and then stuff some paper or cotton wadding over the powder and fire.
    Instead of the wadding you can also use a .22 cal. pellet. It's alot easier than stuffing toilet paper in the cases.
    The good thing about the 223 AI is that it shoots .223 ammo almost as well. The only thing is sometimes the cases don't form completely or the necks crack. That's why it's better to anneal first.

5. rundm

rundm

Thanks for the info. I never thought about the .22 cal pellet.
    I tried h335 yesterday and it did not do such a good job. I will try the bullseye. RG

6. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

I used to just shoot .223 to get cases- but I just hunted with the fireforming loads.

One way Idid try was to use fast pistol powder about 4-5 grains and used to block the end with a bit of fiberfill and then push the case mouths through the skin of pumpkin from the flesh side out to make a neck plug.

I then fired it in a home made bullet/sound trap in the garage.

ometime the soulders wouldn't be quite as sharp are with the fireformed factory but they were certainly formed enough for me to relaod with my AI hunting load and go hunting or to the range. By the end of the firs trip I had plenty of formed cases.

later
    P

7. ALO

ALO

Jakes 10mm. Ihad a 223 AI built on short Remington action with a 1-8 Hart barrel, and used the 80 grain Sierras and the 80 grain JLK bullets,I dont think they are available any more). Like I said I had one, and I regret everyday that I sold the rifle. It would shoot ground hogs out to 700 yards with a muzzle velocity of 2650 to 2700 fps. I used it in a compeition about 3 years ago and took first place with it. That evening I got home and received an e-mail from a gentleman who offered to buy it right NOW! for considerably more that what I paid for it to have it built. Regrettably I sold it, and am kicking myself in the pants ever since.:cry::cry::cry: It is a wonderful round, and would shoot in the .1 and .2 from a clean barrel. You can shoot standard 223 through it and will automatically form the case for you. Get some Lapua brass and use the 205M Fed primers, and IMR 4895 of H4895. You are really going to be impressed.

AL O

8. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

Seems a lotof people who used to own 223 AI's regret ever selling them

I know I do.

later
    p

9. jwv2001

jwv2001

If you use 12 grs. of Bullseye and some toilet paper or a pellet you don't have to mess with the CoW problems. As I said previously, it helps greatly to anneal the cases first.

10. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill

Just take the rifle out and shoot paper or critters to fireform use the loads for your close targets and you get better use out of everything i dont like shooting any object down a barrel that isnt going to hit a terget be it paper or fur. Any explosian takinh place inside your barrel WILL wear it to an extent you will have a throat that already is rounded off unless you have a seccond barrel to fire form in or only have 20 or so to do shoot them at short range up to 300 yards and the AI's past that. I shoot my 6mm Dasher fire forming in club matches for F Class all groups at 300 yards are under 1" with some closer to 1/2" and i shoot them back to 600 yards.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

11. DogBuster

DogBuster

Nothing magic about the 223 AI....just a fun & efficient cartridge....I use Redding standard dies along with a Lee FL set and a std Lee 223 collet die...simple...very accurate rifle...set up on a s/shot Savage w/Pac Nor 12 twist barrel...strickley a table rifle @ 14#....a 'real dog buster'..52 A max and 55 Nolser BTs with 27.5/BM work best in it....[​IMG]

12. jwv2001

jwv2001

As long as we’re showing 223 AI groups…. This is 5 shots @ 100 yds. with H322 and a 50 gr. Hornady VMAX.
    The rifle is a Cooper Montana Varminter with a 24” barrel, 14” twist. 8 ½ pounds total with a 6.5-20 Leupold EFR.
    The group works out to a little over a hundredth of an inch.

[​IMG]

13. ReedG

ReedG

JMV:

If you can shoot 5 of them groups you are a shoo-in to win a BR match!

As far as fireforming, load regular .223 cases with a max. load from the book using the powder of your choice and shoot away. My nephew shot some sub-1/2" groups out of his Adams & Bennett 223 Ackley barrel shooting fireforming loads. IMHO -- Don't waste time and powder on some halfway step ... load and shoot, you'll "like" it!

14. jwv2001

jwv2001

That would be like hitting a hole in one 5 times in a row. The gun is capable but I doubt I am. Most groups are in the .2"-.3" range. I know the load is good for my rifle.