223 Rem Ackley Improved???

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Jakes10mm, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Jakes10mm

Jakes10mm

I've been searching for information on the 223 Rrem Ackley Improved and coming up next to dry. Can anyone shed some light on this cartridge? I have read through some information on the Ackley Improved cartridges and understand that some cartridges show a measureable improvement, while others are marginal. Does the 223 Rem fall into the "improved" or "marginal" category? My research has revealed standard dies being available from the "mass" producers and the barrel manufacturers offer the chambering. as in another post of mine, I'm planning on building a varmint rifle for ranging out to 300yards and would like to stick with a low-recoil 22cal cartridge. Before what I've read, the standard 223 Rem is reaching the end of its effective range around 250-300yards. I am usually competing against some light to moderate winds where I'll be hunting. With this in mind, I'm wondering if the 223 Rem AI with heavier,higher BC) bullets will meet my range requirements.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. DanCarey

DanCarey Silver $$ Contributor

I have built several 223AI's for friends and myself. I have a 25" 223AI, it will get 3700 with a 50 gr VMax and a 40 gr VMax will get 3950. Benchmark and 335 powder work well in it. It don't like a dirty chamber,hard extraction) It is also heat sensitive with 335 powder. About every 2-3 loadings I need to full length size the brass or it will extract hard. The truth is, if you just want a AI rifle its ok, its not as versatile as the standard 223.

3. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

Had a 223 AI once- wonderfull round. Sold the gun because I couldn't get a FLS size die over this side of the pond.

If I could get a FLS size die easliy and without spending mega $$ for it I would have one again in a heartbeat.

Almost a 22/250 using a 26 inch barrel, brass as easy as to find, can still use normal 223 as fireforming hunting. Tried all sorts didn't make that much diff to accuracy either. IMI make good brass I have been told.
    I found 2 brands of factory ammo that still grouped under an inch when shot through the imp chamber.

Sorry cannot provide any laods data- lost it in one of the many house moves over the years.

Mine was a 1:9 and it just loved the Hornady 60 HP or SP at almost max velocity. IIRC 0.65 AVG groups over 5x5 shotters not letting the barrel cool for any length of time. Lots less barrel heat than a 22/250 also.

HTH

later
    P

4. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

I have built quite a few 223 x 35 degree rifles and XP-100 pistols. This is probably the best improved cartridge I have ever used. My 11 pound, rear grip XP is my favorite groundhog gun. Mine really likes H4198SC and 50 gr V-max bullets. 3450 fps from a 15" barrel.

5. Jakes10mm

Jakes10mm

Thanks for the feedback. My targets will be groundhogs...no prairie dogs in these parts. i like the standard 223, but wanted the security of a little extra range capability. I really like 243,but wanted a cartridge that will give me good range and a better barrel life.

6. Northman

Northman

40 grain at 4000fps, 50 grain at 3750fps, and 75 grain A-max at 3100fps... from a 21" barrel

The 75 A-max should let you knock out Pdogs at 6-7-800 yards, and that is with zero recoil. You can see it happen..

7. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

They are nice figures northman form a 21" tube?

How long does your brass last with that sort of pressures.

later
    P

8. Northman

Northman

Oh, its not my loads, but I can ask the fellow. He is a poster on snipershide.com

He has 7 223AI, and planning a 8.. ill ask, then post here.

9. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

Thanks,
    This post has got me itching to build another 223AI.

later
    p

10. Northman

Northman

Around 10 to 5 reloads..

He is using IMI brass..

11. Shooter32

Shooter32

Ogre6br you were talking about not getting a fls die without spending mega $ all you have to do is get the redding body die which is avalible from sinclair for around $25 you just use it to resize the case and it does not bother the neck so there is your solution get another 223imp and enjoy!

12. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

HuH??

How will the body die work with the 40 degree shoulder and much less case taper?
    Wont it just try and make the cases back to standard 223 dimensions??

Just looked on wholesale hunter I can get a 40 degree imp body die for $30 plus postage. I can get a bushing die for $60 +p

If I can use my normal 223 seater to seat the projectiles I think im in business.

Last time I priced a die set it was going to be several hundred $$ and 4 months wait.

later
    P

13. flyingbair

flyingbair

Well I hate to sound negative about the .223 AI but I would NOT recommend it for High Power Shooting in an AR-Match Rifle. I have been shooting an .223 AI for the past two years and see no significant advantage over the .223 Remington. I am using a 1:6.5 twist barrel and using 80gr and 90gr bullets on the 600 yd line. I have been using VV550 powder and achieving 2800 fps with the 90 gr bullets but I have been able to achieve equal velocities with the standard .223. You will have feeding problems with the 40 degree shoulder during rapid fire and will need to adjust your magazines. You must be careful and keep your .223 brass separated from your 223 AI. Only NEW .223 brass will chamber reliably in a .223 AI chamber. So it is very easy to mistakenly load a fire formed .223 Remington round in your .223 AI chamber which will cause a malfunction during your rapid fire strings. So basically if you fire form new .223 brass and are very methodical about managing your 223AI and fire formed .223 brass you do fine. If I had to do it again, I would stick to a standard .223 Remington for High Power.

Johnnie

14. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

THat $60 for the Bushing die will turn into over $250 AUD by the time I get it here.

Not worth it for one die and 2 bushings.

$60 die
    $20 for the 2 bushings
    $85 for UPS delivery
    plus $30 FEE for using a TT transfer because wholesale hunter doesn't accept international Visa payments.

$195 USD converts into $263 Australian for 1 die and a couple of bushings.
    Not worth it. $263 AUD is almost 900 reloads worth of standard .223

It just never seems to work out for me.

Anyone got any options as to how I can do this without spnding mega $$ just to get a die??

Thanks

later
    P

15. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill

Sinclairs has 223 AI redding dies in stock the Type S bushing Full lenght die is $49.50 US

AJC likes this.
  16. ReedG

ReedG

Ogre, Lee makes an FL size die and seater die that sell for about $30/set at Midway. Also, I'm told that the Lee Collect neck size die for a .223 Remington will work with an AI because it is relieved in the shoulder area. These might be easier to get and will load very good loads.

17. Ogre6br

Ogre6br

gun-a-month you have mail.

18. LeeinOH

LeeinOH

I bought the Lee .223 Ai set and it seems to work fine.

19. chrisj

chrisj

I use the Lee FL die, but also use the Lee 223,not AI) collet die which only sizes the neck. It will accomadate the 223 Ackley case just fine. Works great and very little runout.

Chris

20. Dimwit Flathead

Dimwit Flathead It's the Juggernaut, Bitch!

After looking at the collection of 223s I have I decided to do something interesting with one of them, and had it rechambered to 223 Ackley Improved. I got a match chamber job with a tight neck that requires neck turned brass, and purchased a set of Redding Match "S" dies. A little load development after blowing out some brass and I have a rifle that shoots to one hole at 100yds., and one slightly larger hole at 200 yds. I took it chuck hunting for the first time today, and was not disapointed. Using H335 powder under a self-made 52 gr. JHP it clocks at a bit over 3535 FPS in cold weather. Of course, your mileage will vary. Case prep is important, you need to be as consistent as possible in your technique, but the results will be well worth the effort. This round has become my hands down favorite.