.223 AI

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by OldSchool, Oct 8, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool

Has anyone every tried the 223 AI in an AR. I am wondering if it would feed from a magazine due to the lack of body taper?

2. 2dogs

2dogs

Sometime back I saw an article in a magazine. I want to say it was Guns, but am not sure. There was no mention of any difficulty.....

3. NeilNE

NeilNE

There mite be a problem feeding a case with 40 degree shoulder!!

4. chrisj

chrisj

I researched this and found that it works very well according to a variety of sources. You must full length size every firing though. I experimented with a 20 rd GI magazine and in a couple of mags, I had to put a amall U shaped groove in the front of the mag so that the neck of rhe brass didn't get destroyed. Nobody that I talked to had a problem with the 40 deg. shoulder.

Good Luck

Chris

5. OldSchool

OldSchool

Cool Thanx chris,
    I ahve an Olympic Arms 16 inch that shoots in the .3's and less when I do my part but it is a slow gun. Even with warm loads I am about 200fps slower than others I have talk to running the same load, so I was looking for a way to eek out a little more speed. I also might just switch the barrel to 204 ruger imp.

6. flyingbair

flyingbair

I have a .223 AI AR-Match with a 28 inch barrel and 1-6.5 twist. I would not recommend the Ackely Improved. I see no advantage using the Ackely over the .223 Remington when using a 28 inch barrel. At the 200/300 yd line there is no advantage and at the 600 yd line I see no significant improvement in velocity. I use VV550 powder and do not see any major velocity difference between the .223 and AI. I have had feeding problems with the AI during the 200/300 rapid fires. In my .223 I have never had a feeding malfunction in over 10,000. I like it simple and without problems. Stick with the .223 and use a 28 inch barrel and you will be very happy with the out come.

Johnnie.

7. vmthtr

vmthtr

Flyingbear,
    Wonder why the gas gun makes such a difference. I gain almost 200 FPS when I AI'd my 223 bolt action. Granted, it only has a 26" barrel, but would think the extra 2" would not slow the bullet down any in the AI version. Not sure if it feeds, but was DEFINITELY worth it in my experience.

Mike

8. OldSchool

OldSchool

Thanks Mike, flyingbear;
    My AR shoots so nice now I ahte to do anything different but the velocity thing is still a burr in my side. I will probably leave it though since I am working on a benchrest gun. Not to mention what it does to jackrabbits with 50gr. TNT's is just not right!

Terry

9. flyingbair

flyingbair

Mike,

I think the big difference is how we are using the .223 AI. I am using the cartridge strictly for High Power competition. I am needing reliability and accuracy. At the 200/300 yds I am needing totally reliability. At the 600 yds I am wanting to shoot the 90 gr bullets which require a 1:6.5 twist. I am getting 2800 fps with naked 90's in my Ackley using VV550 and 2750 with 90's in my .223. To gain 50 fps and the problems which you get with a non-standard cartridge such as feeding and keeping track of non-223 bass it's not worth the effort for 50 fps. I am generally shooting 5,000 rounds a shooting season and the Ackley just makes reloading a bigger headache. Now if I were shooting varmints with one type of bullet in a bolt action rifle I would say the Ackely would be a winner.

Johnnie