.223 90 Gr for 1000 yard

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by kschilling, Apr 22, 2012.

1. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Matt,

How has that powder been acting in the various temp ranges? Have you had to change the charge any for hotter temps?

2. Matt Pitchon

Matt Pitchon

I have shot 2000MR at higher temperatures. Its better than RL-15 and not as good as Varget. My experience with hot RL-15 and high temperatures (90s) is it gets erratic, meaning pressure builds rapidly past a certain point. I didn't get that effect with 2000MR, although higher temperatures meant more pressure. I measure pressure by the look of the primer, and how my zeros change. Not scientific, but its the best I can do in a match. All my higher temperature experience is from matches. I don't have chronograph data to support any of this.

3. cmillard

cmillard

have you tried h-380?

4. Where are you getting that? I would love some more... :)

5. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

A fellow shooter that I know has a supply of it.

6. Dish!! I'd love some more.

7. Laurie

Laurie

Anybody tried AR-Comp with 90s yet? It looks promising as it starts out as traditional Re15 but becomes slightly faster burning as a result of the treatment it gets to make it temperature tolerant. It ends up falling between Varget's and Re15's burning rates.

We haven't got it in the UK and the importer says we probably won't as Alliant only does the work for CE type approval on powders that it reckons will be large sellers. With the company marketing it heavily to semi-auto rifle shooters, they'll likely reckon that doesn't apply to Europe.

8. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Laurie,

I personally do not have any first hand experience with that powder, but a few friends of mine are getting good results with AR-Comp and the 80's and 77's!

Personally, I would like to try 2000MR with the 90's. I think with that powder, one could see 3000fps with a coated bullet.

9. Laurie

Laurie

Like AR-Comp, we'll have to see if 2000MR will reach us on the east side of the Atlantic. Hodgdon is very good at licensing all of its handloading powders for EC sale and use, but we never know for some time which new Alliant types we'll get. We'll likely see Hodgdon CFE-223 early next year on past form as the importer gets his main annual shipment from the States sometime during January to February most years.

10. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Right,

Well I am still with RL15 at the moment, I am using the pull-down version right now. I have 5lbs of the factory stuff unopened. I think the pull-down burns a lil faster than the other, but how much difference there is I believe from what I have seen is somewhat moot. Though I do want to try the 2000MR powder, for the price I can get the pull-down, I would be kind crazy to move away from it, unless it didn't work in the new bbl. By the way Laurie, did you ever get that new bbl to work?

11. Laurie

Laurie

Yes and no. It shoots great 100yd groups with the 90gn Berger VLD and Varget, but the elevations are terrible at anything beyond 300 yards. I've decided it's a bedding issue and will do something about it next week as I want to get the rifle back into use sometime this season.

In the meantime, I have a first line .308 Savage PTA F/TR rifle in a Dolphin Gun Co. stock (like the McRees but UK made and better for the competition shooter), and a Savage 12 LRPV that was .204 Ruger now rebarrelled to .223 / 90 with a Bartlein 26" Palma profile barrel with 1-7.5" twist for club shooting to 800yd. It's a really nice rifle that shoots the 90gn Berger really well at modest velocity. That's about 2,625 fps over 23.9gn N150 in Lapua brass and in the same long-throat chamber as the 1,000yd gun. It'll put five 90gn BTs into 0.2" at 100yd despite the fairly thin barrel and being absolutely out-of-the-box except for the new Bartlein.

12. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Laurie,

I have seen thin bbl's shoot dang good before! I once had Krieger Palma Light bbl in 308 that used Lapua brass and the old Sierra 155 palma bullet that would just plain hammer, with a scope, I have shot ten round strings @ 1K to a four and half inch group. It was a pretty awesome bbl and it was on a Winchester action.

Well I called Rock Creek, they are deff working the .223 bbl's right now, which is a great thing. Going to stick with the 30" 7.2 twist medium palma contour.

13. manitou210

manitou210

F class target at 900 meters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good conditions at Connaught tonight very mild wind 2.1 to 3 moa fellow shot a nice group & score at 900m Target was a IFCRA 5" V bull, 10" Bull a little smaller than the DCRA Target. I watch this target for 2 sighters which where converted a 5 & V bull and then fired 13 more shots, last 10 shots where
    V bulls so a app 5" 10 shot group,at 900m. Total 75 with 12 V bulls
    900 meters is equal to 984.25 yards.

Shot with a Ian Robertson built FTR Class Rifle 223 Rem.1/7 Twist Tru-Flite 30.5"
    Barnard S action. Lapua NT brass, CCIBR primers, 90gr Bergers
    load is not avalable, but I would not be changing it or trying to tweek it.
    F class target at 900 meters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good conditions at Connaught tonight Aug 8/2012 very mild wind 2.1 to 3 moa fellow shot a nice group & score at 900m Target was a IFCRA 5" V bull, 10" Bull a little smaller than the DCRA Target. I watch this target for 2 sighters which where converted a 5 & V bull and then fired 13 more shots, last 10 shots where
    V bulls so a app 5" 10 shot group,at 900m. Total 75 with 12 V bulls
    900 meters is equal to 984.25 yards.

Shot with a Ian Robertson built FTR Class Rifle 223 rem.
    load is not avalable, but I would not be changing it or trying to tweek it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

That is pretty awesome, I have mentioned my load before, but I would work up to it for sure! I love it when the lil pop guns do so well!

15. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

There was a two MOA elevation change for a few of us that shoot at Oak Ridge, me included, when we shot our first shots at Perry. Don't think the temps had anything to do with it in my gun. My load was developed in 75-80 degree weather and had been shot in 95 degree temps with no change in the elevation. I am using RL15 currently. The gun held awesome elevation, just was not that good on the wind at times. Most days at Perry, the load was holding between 5-8 inches of elevation at 1K. Though durning the Palma team match my coach said that at 900 yards, I was shooting a 3" group at ten o'clock in the X-10 ring area and was tearing up the spotter.

16. manitou210

manitou210

Matt the 550 powder worked for me until a very warm day at Connaught ranges in Ottawa I have tried 12 different powders in the 223 and I will no longer use any double base powders. stick with the Hodgdons Extreme powders
    and the 90 gr work at 1k

17. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Well I am having to switch lots of RL15, so I am going to shoot a match this weekend, either go to Tullahoma or Chattanooga and give it a whirl to see what happens. Yesterday I tested it at 600 yards and I was holding 2 inches of elevation shooting prone with irons.

But as I have said before, I am going to give 2000MR. A serious look, it deems to be very promising.

18. Matt Pitchon

Matt Pitchon

Unfortunate that 550 didn't work. Its generally a good powder. It will be interesting to see how the Extreme Powders work. They are supposed to be temperature insensitive, which is good. If you can find one that can give satisfactory velocities (about 2900) at acceptable pressures it would be a winner.

For me, 2000MR has worked well, but I shoot in California where we may not see the same temperature extremes that you do.

Good luck, Matt

19. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Just got done testing 2000MR and now it is time to put the load to test! There will be a Fullbore match here soon at Oak Ridge, I am going to have at least try it at 1K.

20. manitou210

manitou210

Nate I found to make the 90vld work at 1000 is you must measure all the bullets ogive and sort them I have seen 12 bullets of 100 being out 24K thats a lot.
    My rifle Barnard/Tru-Flite 1/7 t 30.5"will not shoot a 3/4" group at 100yards jumping into lands, I seat them hard very hard!!!
    was able to keep 12 of 15 shots at 900m= 985yards in Vbull 5" and shoot 75 of 75 with 13 Vbulls at 300m 1.5" V bull
    good luck and don,t give up on 223