223 65 grain sierra game king

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by rro, Oct 12, 2010.

1. rro

rro

i was loading some sierra 223 game kings with h355 powder.
    i had the best group around 25 gr. So i loaded up from 25 in.1 steps to 24.4 which is .2 below max sierra manuel max.
    i havent shot them yet,but noticed in the hodgdon site 25 gr is listed as max.
    i have a rock river 1/8 match barrel.
    Is it safe to shoot

2. necchi

necchi Site $$ Contributor

Well ya got a typo; loading up from 25 too 24.4??

Hodgdon on-line data does not list a 65grn bullet, and non of the Sierra bullets used are GameKings,,

Soo,,I'd go with the Sierra data you have for the proper bullet,, ;) ;D

Stay safe man,, ;)

3. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker Site $$ Contributor

I am messing around with these bullets and Tac powder as well as Varget in an 18" 8 twist. I am up to 25.4 tac using rp brass and cci450 with no problems. The Varget version is confusing because Sierra left Varget out for these bullets but they use it for the lighter and heavier. I called Sierra and they said it should be fine and use the data for the 69smk. My cases will not hold enough Varget to get to the max load listed for the 69smk while using the 65 game king. Wish I could recommend a full proof load with this bullet, but I can't.

4. rro

rro

sierra tells me to use data for 63 grain bullet for their 65 grain game king. So i guess i cant use hodgdon 63 grain data... sorry new to hand loading...

5. tiny68

tiny68 Site $$ Contributor

26.0 gr of Varget worker very good with the 65 SGK in my son's 223 sporter. LC brass with CCI primer. Seated out 0.020" from the lands it was a consistant 1 MOA shooter at 100 yd in the hands of a 9 yr old. This is a pretty hot load and would start about at 24.5 gr and work up if you decide to try Varget. Luck, Tim

6. rro

rro

thanks