22 RF blank

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Caleb85, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Caleb85

Caleb85 Gold $$ Contributor

where is a good place to buy a 22 RF blank? And who is making a good one now?

2. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

1911mag and Caleb85 like this.
  3. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

3 groove Benchmark.

4. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

Over the past 30+ years I have had Douglas, Shilens, Benchmark, Kriegers and Green Mountain.
    My vote goes to Benchmark or Krieger..
    My best shooter is a Hall RBLP with a 26" 3 groove tuned Benchmark.
    Check IR5050 and see what the pros are shooting.

5. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Sent you a PM

6. flatlander

flatlander

Have only been doing 22RF bbl work for a couple of years; so far have done a Benchmark 3-groove, Lilja titebore, and several Kriegers. All were done for bolt action repeaters, including a Stiller 2500XR, Rem 40X & XB, and most recently, a Vudoo V22. I figure there's a learning curve when it comes to 22RF 'smithing, and five bbls to my credit doesn't qualify me as any sort of expert. Still, all five of the ones I've done to date have been very good shooters, good enough that it's tough to pick a favorite. Some days I'm sure the Lilja is the best of bunch, other times, the Benchmark or one of the Kriegers are hard to beat. Pick one & go with it - you're not likely to be disappointed.

7. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

Flatlander, what reamer specs did you go with?

8. Caleb85

Caleb85 Gold $$ Contributor

I’m wanting to spin one up for my 455, I have a Manners T4 trainer stock and a spare NF SHV, bit was stumped on what barrel to go with, I like the fact that Krieger offers one!!

9. js2013

js2013

Lilja can be very good. Bleiker uses Lilja and wins lots of medals. I have a Walther barrel that's just plain magic (they win their share as well). There's lots of good ones out there and all the recommendations you received so far are good (makes it hard to pick ).

I think Lilja makes prefits for the 455 if you don't want the fun of rolling your own.

10. flatlander

flatlander

holstil - I started with a PTG Ultimate EPS - had a problem with it, so PTG replaced it with one labeled "Eley EPS". I don't believe there's much - if any - difference between the two, though I don't have a print for the Eley EPS. PTG's book of chamber prints shows the Ulitimate EPS to have a body length of .600", no body taper, with rear & front dia of .2252", and a leade angle of 2*.

Note that while my reamer is labeled with the EPS designation, I shoot SK/Lapua ammo exclusively, and get great results with SK Rifle Match, Pistol Match, Lapua Center-X & Polar Biathlon.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  11. holstil

Thanks, I like it! I read elsewhere 2* was doing well for rimfire.

12. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

i had recently read where the discussion was that the Eley EPS black and red box liked a 2.0 lead whereas Lapua liked a 1.5 lead. I think that it was Kevin Nevius design reamer that they were typing about in that thread. Also Kevin said that he sets his headspace at .043 instead of the usual .41.

holstil likes this.
  13. Bigdog109

Bigdog109

.043 is the normal head space most people set there guns up with anything less and you won’t be shooting Lapua.

14. 10/22AppleCreekShooter

10/22AppleCreekShooter

Shilen or Douglas

15. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

If you follow RF benchrest you will find that the button rifled barrels are the current winners. Shilen, Muller, and Broughton. I have not a clue why the button barrels are better at this time for RF.

16. holstil

Interesting. I have a Shilen, waiting for a reamer.

USMCDOC likes this.