22 LR Precision Rifle Match

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by MarkS, Dec 14, 2016.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Gold $$ Contributor

Anything come of the nc matches

2. kzin

kzin

What would be the usual suspects as rifle choices here? Factory or OTS accessories.

Probably not the cricket :)

I see a cz model

What OTS stocks work well, not just look cool?

3. Hoser

Hoser

The top contenders at our matches are 40X Elrod repeaters, CZ 452/455 and Savage bolt guns. The Vudoo 40Xs rifles are sure to do well once they start getting out there in numbers. So far we have only seen two.

Our targets go from 45-220 yards. Target size/shape varies, but run between 1-3 MOA.

Accuracy International and Manners are the norm.

dwt and kzin like this.
  4. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

Matches are starting up in Jan 2018 2nd Sat each month. http://www.nfscinc.com/calendar-of-events/

Mark

5. MarkS

I shot the Extreme Range Silhouette match at North Fork Sprotsman Club is Saltville, VA this past Sat; First one this year for me. There was some tuff wind to deal with this Sat. I pulled out a win in Benchrest class 36 out of 40 targets. Great match to start long range rimfire. You can sightin at each range. 2nd Sat each month.

Mark

holstil likes this.
  6. Coleridge

Coleridge Silver $$ Contributor

Mark,

How do you run your sight-in period? Do you give brief time before each relay on a side plate (then start COF), or does everyone get a sight-in period early and then its directly to scoring targets when you start the relay (return to bench)? Sounds like a very fun match just curious....

Also,
    Frontline in Warrenton NC is going to hold a PRS "type" 22 match on June 30th. Out to 300 yards, pretty sure all steel targets (if like the previous).

7. MarkS

Coleridge,
    We have a sight-in for each target. You sight-in then go to record targets, when you are ready, can't go back to sight-in. You start on the chickens, shoot 10 targets and move to the next bench for the pigs, and so on. You will shot all 4 sets of target, with target reset in between.

Mark

holstil likes this.
  8. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Try uncooked couscous at 50 yards.

9. rolltide

rolltide

Hey Mark, what ranges are the targets set up at? I assume all of the ranges are just doubled for standing silhoutte?

Also, are shooters using one piece rests, bipods?

Lastly, is the July match on the 14th?

I plan to shoot it.

Thanks!

10. Hacker

Hacker

My club just started NRL22 matches this past Saturday. We're in Somerset KY.

Look up Kentucky Precision Rimfire on Facebook for more information. We do 22lr benchrest and NRL22.

Next NRL22 is July 14th, next benchrest is July 28th.

11. MarkS

Yes targets are double distance. You see a few rest, no one piece rest, mostly Bi-pods. 14th should be the next one.

Mark

12. rolltide

rolltide

Thanks Mark! One other question, for the factory class, is that any factory rifle and optic, as long as the optic is set to 9 power? I'm trying to figure out if I shoot one of my Anschutz or Sako's, if I'm factory or unlimited.

13. longbow

longbow Silver $$ Contributor

Taking my Vudoo 40x and having a Silhouette Stock built up on it,to heavy as is . Will sell off my 541-T's( both tricked out) and have one gun for both principles with there own stocks! Good luck on getting the Match going.If you start it...They will come! We are planning one here for our range in Montana in the near future.

14. MarkS

The last match, he let me shoot my Kidd Supergrade with the scope turned to 9 X. I win the benchrest with the Kidd, 3rd with the scope on 9X, it makes a big difference.

Mark

15. Coleridge

Coleridge Silver $$ Contributor

Mark, what kind of scores are winning at the silhouette matches? A little puff of wind that far can make a seemingly pretty easy target, rather tough.

One day we going to make it up and check y'all out. Just so much going on...

16. MarkS

Yes, the wind eat you up on the Turkeys and Rams. I have cleaned the Chicken and Pigs, then get 5 out of 10 Turkeys. In May I win the benchrest with a 36 out of 40, I hit two targeta and just turned them one Turkey, and one Ram, that would have been 38 if they had gone down. That day the Factory was 31. Last month 35 win the benchrest. I think the record is 37, not sure on that. Most target frame do not have a berm behind them, so you can't see misses impact most of the time, if you do see it, it is down range from the targets. The match is this Sat. July 14th.

Mark