.22 LR and barrel tuners?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Sniper338, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Sniper338

Sniper338

First off the must help, lots of people use them. Do they thread on or clamp on?

My barrel is an 18 inch threaded KIDD.

How do they work?

Id be head over heels to tighten my groups even more but im already thrilled with the way mine shoots federal auto match! Never had a really accurate 22.. until now

2. 10/22AppleCreekShooter

10/22AppleCreekShooter

All the tuners I ever had slid over barrel and were held in place by 2 screws. Yes they make a barrel more consistent and will help it to shoot smaller rounder holes providing you put it on a precision barrel. Federal Auto Match is not match ammo and has too many fliers. Try some SK Pistol Match, Lapua Center-X or Eley Match in your Kidd barrel. CCI standard velocity is the best cheap ammo. My Kidd and GM barrels love it.

3. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

My older rimfire prone gun used to love Wolf Match Target. I know a lot of folks don't ascribe to sorting ammo by rim thickness. I agree that doing so doesn't improve group size, it don't make the ammo more accurate. But what i have seen is, that by sorting by rim thickness, it removes the "fliers". So now, you have ammo that will shoot the same size groups so much, but in tangents on the target in relationship to the original POA. So a certain rim thickness lets say, prints on the target at 1 o'clock, but it does so consistently. Center up, the next rim thickness moves that to say 8 o'clock.. get what i am saying.. With better ammo being used, those deviations become smaller, oh i think that they are still there, just not to the point that it will be helped by sorting by rim thickness.

i also agree that, Federal Auto Match isn't "match grade" ammo, but there are rifles out there that just love the stuff.. i have a Rem 37 that seems to want to shoot bugholes with it.. i don't have a gauge to measure the rims, i have shot some "fliers" with it, but i think that it was due to the blustery windy does i have been to the range with it.. i have not had it long. I can tell you this.. it don't like SK Standard Plus!

4. Sniper338

Sniper338

Im waiting on eley match target to come in..

I want to try out sll i can to see what it all does. Best stuff ive found so far was the auto match. Never said it was match grade, but it dhoots pretty damn well for a 22 in my barrel..

USMCDOC likes this.
  5. 1911mag

1911mag Silver $$ Contributor

If your going to tune it yourself read up on purdy Perscription this method works and will save you time and ammo.

seymour fish likes this.
  6. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

What us Purdy Prescription and where do I find it? I just got my first tuner. Will be trying the gun and with Tenex and Midas+ that I bought.

Bob

7. USMCDOC

8. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Some tuners screw on and some are attached by clamps. The basics of a tuner is that you can adjust your ammo to the conditions, and also it gives you a larger tuning window because it reduces vibration because you've added weight to the end of the barrel. Some designs work better than others. IMO a tuner that sticks out over the muzzle does a better job than one that doesn't. I have 4 different tuners on some of my barrels. The Beggs, Goodling, and Borden run about 4 oz. The Ezell tuner is about 7. Every barrel that I own that is chambered is threaded for one. I wouldn't use a rifle in competition without one.

dogdude and seymour fish like this.
  9. Tim s

Tim s

Jim, the OP was primarily asking about rimfire tuners, which, by and large are all slip fit with clamps and extend out past the muzzle.
    Not much muzzle blast to require a threaded operation.

10. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Your right, my mistake.

11. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

Not to high jack the OP but can a mid barrel tuner be effective by itself.Meaning not using an end of barrel tuner.Got a Pappas on a great deal and was wondering if I could run it by itself?

12. USMCDOC

Worth trying.. you never know.. right

13. Tim s

Tim s

Well, it certainly can't hurt, however, since I have never seen a top flight competitor without a tuner on the muzzle, we are far enough down the road to rimfire accuracy to confidently establish you probably want to mount one.
    Your time, your money, your ammo to waste or not.

14. rcmark

rcmark

Testing LimbSaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel De-resonator...

Ammo SK Standard, All shots at 100 yards.

Guns:

Ruger 10/22

Sightron SIII 8-32x56mm LR MOA 30MM
    KIDD Bolt Handle
    KIDD Guide Rod & Spring Kit
    KIDD .22LR Bolt
    KIDD Two Stage Trigger
    KIDD .22LR Bolt Buffer
    KIDD .22LR Black Tapered Rifle Barrel 20"

CZ 455

SIGHTRON SIIISS 10-50X60 LR MOA, 30MM
    455 stock except for CZ Mr. Fly trigger

Started with the tuner at 3/4" from the muzzle.
    Moved it about 3/4" back after each 5 shot group.

Group 1 is 3/4" from muzzle.
    Group 10 for the CZ and Group 12 for the Ruger is all the way back to the stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. seymour fish

seymour fish

Doc, similar findings here. Often cheap ammo will print 2 or 3 separate groups, and each can be found to be a different rim thickness. When sorted they can be good enough for practice. Btw, like the Neil jones slider. Federal auto match story: 77-22 with a shillen, wife and I alternating shots, 100 yds, fed automatch, 10 shot group came in at 0.36”. Bought a lifetime supply of that lot #. Tuner, full set of flags, steady condition. Try that stunt again ? Oh hell no. Lmao. Seymour

USMCDOC likes this.
  16. USMCDOC

You know that "Auto Match" is the sluff from Fed 719 right?

daleboy likes this.
  17. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Purdy Prescription worked for me with a Harrel's muzzle tuner

BigKev and USMCDOC like this.
  18. USMCDOC

i have found it to work on several barrels, even my centerfire rifle

19. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

A tuner will make a good barrel shoot better. It will NOT make a bad barrel shoot good.