22 hornet

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by JOHN ROMAN, Apr 24, 2019.

1. JOHN ROMAN

JOHN ROMAN

Hey guys new here and hopeing to learn some things just picked up a new Cz 22 hornet my plan is to run a 45 grn jhp on top of 10 grn of h110 just woundering if anybody has any advice on the hornet

Thanks in advance

2. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC

I shot a lot of handgun shiloute with a TC hornet. I u
    send 2400 with 55 grain bullets, was more accurate than any hornet rifle I was ever around on a consistent basis. Always 1 moa or better.

3. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot 50gr VMax's over Lil Gun. Makes an awesome thwop when it hits coyotes!

Edit, this is out of an Oregon Kimber so that bullet may or may not stabilize in a CZ.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development Gold $$ Contributor

The bullet that your twist likes over Lil’ Gun and you’ll have what you need.

5. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Don't forget, there is a little Hornet style 35 gr. V-Max. My Bee loves them, and my fave powder is IMR 4227. Bee is just a skootch bigger than hornet. jd

6. JOHN ROMAN

JOHN ROMAN

Thanks for the information guys ill have to do some work this weekend

7. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

Alliant MP300, CFE Blackout and AA1680 are also very good powder choices. Lil Gun delivers velocity like no other in the Hornet and K Hornet cases but I've found 1680 to deliver better accuracy and consistency.

The 40 grain V-Max is also worth a try.

I shoot cast bullets in my K Hornet with reduced loads. Bunch of fun, that.

8. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

Lil gun gives velocity you cant believe with that tiny round and would be hard to over load with it. 40gr btips at 3000.
    I shot and still shoot some of the 45 speer soft points over h110/w296. Shoots okay.

9. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

You may want to also check out the www.saubier.com site frequented by small caliber shooters.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4290.html

PS: Your CZ hornet should have a 1 in 16" twist barrel. Thus the longer heavier bullets will likely have stability issues. See last post page 2 of following link.
    http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19780

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    JSH likes this.
  10. JSH

JSH

^^^^^^^
    CZ Hornet is a fine rig, if you want to use traditional hornet style short fat bullets.
    Mine refuses to shoot 40 grain vmax or my cast bullets. Swapped off a Savage for the CZ, thought I was moving up. Now I wonder.
    Jeff

11. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

I use 9.5 gr of 2400 (very light load but cases last well) I have a lot bigger stuff to shoot if needed. Bullet I use after trying many is dogtown 35 gr from Midway. My CZ will hold an honest inch at 100yrds and that little bullet puts a hurtin on blackbirds. I sure wouldn't trade my CZ w/ set trigger for a Savage

12. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

I've had pretty good luck using Rem 6 1/2 primers with the Lee collet die, a factory crimp die, and if they need it a Redding full length die. Some dies over work the thin Hornet brass giving it short life and poor accuracy. 296 & H110 give me some pretty good accuracy, Little Gun has blazing velocity but 296 &110 edge it out for accuracy. The Hornet is another one I've almost went broke on trying different dies, that includes a arbor press & Wilson bushing die.

JSH likes this.
  13. Bruce W

Bruce W Silver $$ Contributor

AA1680.I also had good results with the lee collet die and 6 1/2 primers

14. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Lil gun and 40 vmax here. 296 also works well..

15. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

Iowa Fox is right about the 6 1/2 primers. I bought a carton when they were hard to get and didn't like them on regular stuff. I went from 7 1/2 to 6 1/2 and shrunk my groups more than half. Thin brass is spot on too. I tried Lil gun and accuracy suffered. If you have 2400 around try it. I'm betting it will work for you. For me velocity had to be kept lower for good accuracy.

Mudhead likes this.
  16. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

IMR 4227 and 40 gr. SBK's in my Sako. As much as I love Lil'Gun the Sako did not. I have a bunch of vermin killin' rigs up to a .22-.284 so I didn't need to magnum-ize the little Hornet...JMHO

17. Park ranger

Park ranger

Lil gun and the 35 grain Hornady is the only decent combo I found in my ruger 77. Only time I’m been pleased with ruger or Hornady

18. Bruce W

Bruce W Silver $$ Contributor

blew several primers with Lil gun in a TC . Load was well with in the manuals specified amount. This was an early lot of powder and some of this powder was recalled when it was first introduced. The stuff I had was not on the recall list so I just pitched it and moved on.I would think newer lots of this powder is ok. Bruce

19. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

I have been playing with Lil' Gun this week. Glad I worked up from the bottom of the lowest charges I could find. The difference between Nosler, Hodgdon, Hornady and Lyman manuals is large. For my components (R-P brass/Rem. 6 1/2 primers/Lil'Gun Powder) the lower end of the spectrum worked best. My rifle is an original Low Wall from 1893 that was re-barreled. 11gr. powder with Hornady 40gr. V-max bullets was max. That said, needs more accuracy testing as it looks like 10.8gr. of H110/W296 was better.