22 Hornet

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by wch, Oct 10, 2012.

1. LAH

LAH

Enjoyed reading this thread.

2. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

I've been dinking about in the field with the Hornet or variant now for over 50 years, owned six of them in that time. The one thing I've learned about this neat little caliber, is that the very best thing you can do for a Hornet (and you) is to simply "K" it and be done.

Virtually every Hornet I've K'd has both been more accurate and the brass lasts much longer. A nice side benefit is that it's almost always more accurate after improving. I'm guessing this is due to the much better shoulder for headspacing in the K version. The gain in velocity and the improved trajectory is just icing on the cake. Cheap and effective way to gain about an extra 50 yards too.

The K-Hornet I'm currently fielding runs great with the old Nosler 45gr Solid Base (discontinued), but for sheer rat blasting fun in the patch, I'm sold on the Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenade. Out to about 250 yards, the rat-o-batics rival a .223.

Doing what the little rig does best:

[​IMG]

The proof is 'in the pudding'....

[​IMG]

Compare a K-Hornet case alongside a standard Hornet. Any wonder why the K shoots better?

[​IMG]

Approximately 10,000 ground squirrels and a few PD's can't be wrong!

swd, 17VLD and Sieg like this.
  3. kenacp

kenacp

Rick, did you just run the "K" reamer to punch it out to the improved chamber?

Sieg likes this.
  4. Linko

Linko

this load works well. I sold my Hornet but loved it. Brass is very delicate.

5. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

Yes, that's exactly what my trusted local smith did. No big deal, and the result is exactly what I wanted and expected. Cost effective too! :)

17VLD likes this.
  6. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

Based on advice from shooters whose judgement I trusted, I bought a K reamer, took my new, unfired Hornet out of the box, and headed for a local gunsmith. Never regretted that decision; I'm with Rick in Oregon - K is the way. :) Great little cartridge and easy conversion.

Rick in Oregon and 17VLD like this.
  7. dellet

dellet Gold $$ Contributor

Another “K” fan. Still hit’s them as far as I can see them.

upload_2019-12-30_21-47-38.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-30_21-50-4.jpeg

epc308, Rick in Oregon and 17VLD like this.
  8. Conaso

Conaso

I decided to stay with the original .22 Hornet cartridge.
    C.Sharps Arms, 26" full-octagon barrel with 1-16 twist, mid-range tang sight (removed), Lyman STS 15x scope, 50yd zero.
    Remington brass, CCI SP primer, Hornady 40gr V-max, 13.0gr Hodgdon Lil'Gun, 3021fps.
    CSharps Arms M1885 High-Wall  22Hornet w-Lyman Super Targetspot 15x.jpg

Sorry, no recent target photos.

epc308 and Rick in Oregon like this.
  9. 17VLD

17VLD

Great thread,I shot my first called in coyote with a 22 Hornet.
    Really enjoy the little case,have 17,19,and 22 caliber versions in rifle and Contender pistols.Really like AA1680 in all mine,have found LilGun will give some really fast loads but SD is a bit crazy.Greg Tannel turned my Ruger 77/22 Hornet into a K it was probably the best$100- I ever spent,42 grain Calhoons at Damn near .222 velocities and better accuracy sold me on the K version.Rick you are not kidding about the old 45 grain Nosler,when I began reloading the .222 Remington back in the day I couldn’t believe the groups I’d get with that stubby lil guy.
    Matt

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Rick in Oregon likes this.
  10. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

I like the K as well. Hated the Hornets i had, liked the K.

Rick in Oregon likes this.
  11. nvtoy

nvtoy Silver $$ Contributor

Kinda late I know, my opinion the U.S manufactures of brass and rifles have not been kind to the 22 Hornet. Sloppy chambers, long throats, undersized brass have not helped the round. Probably why lots of people claim having a “K” chamber helps accuracy and case life. RWS brass better fills out a loose chamber and also helps. I still love the round and have several.

12. FJVance

FJVance Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve owned a Win52, a low wall, and three 527’s in Hornet. Starting back in the 70’s. The standard case works well in all of these, the K works well, several powders to try, and lots of bullets to try. But I find most helpful is getting rid of the 16 twist barrels, most aftermarket barrels in 14 will be much better. Results may vary.

13. epc308

epc308

Dellet, your HiWall is a near twin to mine. See my post from the other day, HighWall Hornet.

14. Park ranger

Park ranger

this, just a ruger factory rifle. Only combo that did shoot good (enough)