22 hornet headspacing

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by golfer2b2000, Feb 25, 2012.

1. golfer2b2000

golfer2b2000

Getting back to my savage model 40 22 hornet..I have taken the barrel off this rifle which is an easy process to do. Since the 22 hornet headspaces off the rim, and not the case my question is this. I have found that by fabricating a fake cartridge and putting it into the chamber and trying to close the bolt, I have found that my maximum headspace is .074. A factory cartridge measures for the most part around .064. On the model 40 Savage it is possible to screw the barrel in tighter to decrease the headspace. If I do this the only thng I can see I am changing is that the numbers and letters stamped onto the outside of the barrel will not line up. This is not a concern to me, but I was thinking that if I was to decrease the headspace by lets say from the normal .010 to lets say .005 it may be possible to gain the accuracy that I am trying to obtain. Now I am not a gunsmith, and I know that it will be best to take it to one before I do anything like this because I do have a big concern about doing this safely. I am looking for your thoughts, and concerns about doing something like this..
    Thanks, Gene

2. moorepower

moorepower Site $$ Contributor

Itwould be worth a try. Measure 25-50 cases and see what they measure to see the max you find.

3. bheadboy

bheadboy Site $$ Contributor

if you cant close the bolt how are you measuring the headspace? it would seem to me the fake case if .065 rim thickness and will not allow the bolt to close, the chamber does not have enough headspace to allow the bolt to close.

if this is true, then unscrew the bbl, to allow the bolt to close.
    Bob

4. golfer2b2000

golfer2b2000

Bob, you must have misunderstood what I was explaining, or better yet i probably didnt explain it all that well. I have no problems closing the bolt the way the rifle is on my reloads or factory. I wanted to really see just how think the rim could be and still allow the bolt to close. This seems to be the area of around .072. I made a fake cartridge with the rim thickness of .072 and another at .070. The .070 allows the bolt to close, but the .072 does not. Since this headspaces off the rim thickness, and really the 22 hornet is not considered a very accurate rifle in most cases. By what I just explained I can believe the headspace to be around .071. With the thickest rim I have measured I get a bit under .065. So if i screwed the barrel in till the bolt will close on lets say a .068 rim thickness, I will have about a maximum headspace gap of .oo3 instead of a .008 like I have now. Accuracy may, or may not inprove. I just felt it may be worth a try.

5. moorepower

moorepower Site $$ Contributor

There are plenty of CZ's, Savage's, Cooper's, H&R's and Annies out there that will print sub 1/2" groups with the Hornet. Alot of American guns have sloppy chambers, and it is no fault of the rimmed case. You may find that you will get better groups with your gun with WW296 or A1680, and with or without small pistol primers. My guns like the 40 grain V-max. I would seriously check the action screws and see if the rifle is stable with the screws tight, or it may need a bedding job. Other than an occasional extraction issue, most of the model 40's seem to be quite accurate in the 22 Hornet.