.22 Hornet Go/No Go gauges

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by Someoldguy, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Someoldguy

Someoldguy

I've decided to make a set of .22 Hornet Go/No Go gauges on my lathe from 3/8" drill rod I have ordered for a different project. As I have not attempted such a thing before, and looking at photos of Clymer gauges, please correct me if my thinking is flawed:

The SAAMI spec on the chamber lists a .065" min and a .072" max for the rim.
    And a minimum rim diameter of .360".
    And a chamber diameter of .2785" .8442" from the bolt face. This is the reference dimension.

So. My plan is to make the GO gauge with a body diameter of NO MORE THAN, and as close as possible to, .2785", the overall length NO MORE THAN, and as close as possible to .8442", and with a rim diameter NO LESS THAN and as close as possible to .360", and a rim thickness of NO MORE THAN and as close as possible to .065".

The NO GO gauge will be .2785" max in body diameter, .8442" in overall length, a rim diameter of .360", and a rim thickness of NO LESS THAN and as close as possible to .0725". Basically the same thing, but with a thicker rim.

If you have already completed such a task, or do things like this everyday, or would rather pay someone else to make them, or don't care, this project makes no sense to you.

I understand.

For those of you who are willing to take the time to evaluate what I'm trying to learn and are willing to provide constructive criticism, I welcome any and all comments/advise you care to give me.

Thanks for looking.

2. Ggmac

Ggmac

I've got a set , I think the body is not included , it's the rim and a stub ( lack of a better word . On rimmed cases the rim is only made to the dimensions needed , no body or length ( neck ) is included .
    I'll check and send some pics of various dif design of headspace gauges .
    When I started trade school we had a project and were suggested to use the most efficient starting point . I made some gauges and used a grade 5 or 8 bolt to start . Less machine time and cheaper stock . We had to grind finish diam .
    Sorry for spelling , I'm having an off morning , coffee isn't helping , maybe more is needed .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Ggmac

Ggmac

Pics sent to email . I picked the wrong box and these were the military rimmed cases , you get the idea .

4. Someoldguy

Someoldguy

Got your email, thank you! From what I'm seeing and what you've said, my thinking is correct on the rim dimensions, but I'm over-doing the body dimensions. That makes sense, and it'll certainly be easier. Thanks for your advice!

5. Ggmac

Ggmac

Anytime