22 Hornet and 35 gr V-Max, any real world results?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by effendude, Jul 11, 2019.

1. effendude

effendude

Hi Shooters,
    I booked another trip to Africa and in addition to buffalo, eland, sable and roan, I plan to shoot some small stuff too. Caracal, genet, civet, honey badger and porcupine. I'll be bringing my Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet along for the small stuff. I've literally shot 25,000 prairie dogs with v-max bullets, but nothing bigger. Does anyone have experience with these bullets at hornet velocities, 0-50 yards, on similar larger animals such as wood chucks, coon, bobcat and the like? I'd hate to shoot an animal, only to have it destroyed by a bullet blowing it apart.
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. Randall Hardy

Randall Hardy Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve used the hornet for woodchucks with great success. The terminal effects of the 35’s on closer shots inside of 150 yards are pretty significant
    Randy

3. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

I shoot the 35gr in my 22 K-Hornet at rockchucks and ground squirrels, and the terminal performance inside of 100 yards is quite graphic. If you intend to mount any of the small critters, you may want to consider a less destructive bullet, as the V-Max is designed for explosive expansion on small rodents/animals.

4. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

5. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe SSOY 2004 Gold $$ Contributor

My guess is that you would be better served by some of the traditional soft point bullets, but don't have any real world experience with your situation. You might want to post this on saubier.com also as there are a lot of Hornet shooters on that site.

MrMajestic likes this.
  6. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I tried em in my Hornet. 40 Vmax is what mine likes..

7. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I love the 35 V-max in my Bee, which is a smidge hotter than your hornet. My Bee is a bolt gun with a short mag and loading port, and those stubby little 35's fit it a lot better than the 40's.

I've mainly blowed ground squirrels to smithereens, BUT -- have also shot a couple of called coyotes with them with great results; no exit, no fur damage, and dead dog.

I tried the 35's in my 222 one time just for kicks. Don't know how long the jump to the lands was, but it was long. Danged if I didn't bang out a couple of "wallet groups" with them with no load work-up at all. Ya just never know. jd

8. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

I've been shooting 50gr VMax's in my Kimber Hornet. It put's coyotes right down and no exit. And it makes a great "thwap" when it hits!

9. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

groundhog...10 pounds. Body hit with no exit, 100 yards, hornet.

But the 34 grain dogtown is more accurate for me

10. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

POP A FEW CROWS WITH THE 35 GR V-MAXS AT 100 TO 120 YDS BUT MY SAVAGE MODEL 40 LIKES THE 30GR BERGER VERY WELL

11. FJVance

FJVance

You mentioned Hornet velocities, I have a standard Hornet in a CZ with Shilen Barrel, with 10gr of Hodgon Lil'Gun, and 40gr Vmax at 2950fps. It groups very well out past 200 yards. Who ever thought of Lil'Gun in a Hornet is genius.