22 br

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by tdoyka, Sep 23, 2013.

1. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I would be a little affraid of a 14 twist and an 8 twist. I have a 14 the WILL NOT stablize the 55 Balistic tip....sideways at 25 yards. Bergers BC calculator puts it at around .79...or NOT STABLE!! 8 twist tubes may tear up bullets as it wears. Bullet blow up's were common. 10 or 12 is the sweet spot for me.

Good luck,
    Tod

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

Good time for this thread bump!! I’ve just ordered a zero freebore 22BRA reamer that I intend to use for shooting 55 to 70 grain bullets. I’m thinking of going with a 9 twist.

Burnt Powder likes this.
  3. littlebuddybr

littlebuddybr Gold $$ Contributor

That is weird. Have you tried a different lot of ballistic tips 55gr? Or check your barrel twist?
    I have had dozens of 14 twist, factory rem's, hart's, Douglas, and krieger all have stabilized
    The 55gr ballistic tip.
    I have made many 500yd + woodchuck and fox kills with them.

4. redrockranger

redrockranger

The long neck on a 22 BR Norma will give you some flexibility in bullet selection.

Mark W likes this.
  5. Mark W

Absolutely! If my measurements are correct, a 75 Amax will fit without infringing upon the powder space below the neck shoulder junction and the shortest of bullets will still reach the lands with the zero freebore.

6. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Yep...I bet that TEN MILLION 55 grain balistic tips have been fired out of factory rem 14 twist 22-250's and Swifts....including two of my own. But, for those people who eat, shit, live, and breath by the Berger twist calculator........it figures out to be .79....... Not even CLOSE to stable.

Tod

7. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

I have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000 of them from 14 twist barrels at P-dogs and they have always shot VERY well. I would guess that 10 million would be a conservative number.

8. 17VLD

17VLD

Of the two twists you have listed in the first post I would pick the 12”
    Just to be sure I could shoot the 53 V-Max and the Sierra in that class/style
    If I was building a 22BR or Dasher from scratch I would choose the 8”:)
    Matt

CooperNV likes this.
  9. Justin B

Justin B Silver $$ Contributor

I have been told the faster the RPM of the bullet the more it blows apart a Pdog??? So with that said would a in-between 1-9 twist like Mark has or a 1-10 twist be the best???

10. Sniper338

Sniper338

If it was me, Id do a 14 twist and berger 52gr flat base varmint bullets. That combo is wicked.

11. Mark W

I’ve heard the same and believe it could be true, but I like to twist for the longest bullets that I plan to shoot. I depend on bullet design for my splat factor. Blitzkings rock in that department!!!

12. JSH

JSH

Picked up an early Cooper in factory 22BR with McMillan stock. Contacted Cooper about possibly knowing the reamer specs. Not much luck really as it was made prior to them selling out,1998 I believe. Lucked out as it has the 4 screw Jewel trigger. Some guys don’t like it, but it seems to work very well.

Did some measuring and one shot. Turning everything to.012 neck. Just as well as it takes the donut off too.

What powders are the go to. It doesn’t seem to be real picky on what it likes.
    Jeff

13. Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder

Old wive’s tale, rpm has nothing to do with it!

BP