22 bolt rimfire

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by SheepDog, May 14, 2017.

1. SheepDog

SheepDog Silver $$ Contributor

Drover,
    I am sure they are regulation 1/5 scale targets. The local high school makes them for us on a duplicating plasma cutter. They compare well with my printed targets, though some of the older targets are getting shorter due to repairs on the mounts. I am now in charge of the matches (because I submitted some more professional looking paperwork for use in sign-in and record keeping) and took over setting the targets before and taking them down afterwards. I refused the combination to the storage unit as long as I could but now I'm "that guy". I have taken over the repair of broken targets too. The ones with short legs are being repaired as possible and cycled out for new ones as available. We just got a new set made and the first time out all the targets failed due to cold welds at the feet. (the high school students had really good looking but very cold welds) They were ground off and I drilled the feet and plug welded the animals to their feet. They are now solid and I expect that they will last for a few years.

OK, you are saying that I can get GOOD accuracy out of a new barrel pinned to my 581?
    I do have a lathe but I had to sell my mill as I just didn't have room for it after I sold my business. I would need to cut the extractor grooves... probably by hand. I believe I have a reamer - I made a rifle barrel for my High Standard pistol many years ago and reamed it... I wonder if it is in with my other reamers... I can always get a new one I suppose. I also cut that barrel for a single extractor.
    I want the barrel to be cylinder cut to the same diameter as the action (because I hate that little plastic tapered piece of- - - that it has) and probably 24 inches long. I have no doubt that I can cut a recessed "target" style crown.

Now see what you've done? I'll have to look and see what I can get for a barrel blank. I have to decide on CM or stainless, number of grooves and whether to dovetail for sights. After that I will have to convince my brother to make a stock. (he is the wood-worker and a real craftsman - I do good at making sawdust but not so good at a finished product) Then I have to finish the stock and that raises a whole other set of choices to make.

You are a bad man, a very bad man! ;)

2. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

I understand the question wasn't directed to me, but what the heck....it's a public forum. :p
    The accuracy potential is as good as the quality of the barrel, crown, chamber, and precision of fitment.
    I have a "retired" 40-X standard barrel pinned to a 581. I also have a 581 threaded 3/4-16 tpi with an Anschutz barrel. While both shoot minute-of-chicken, I wouldn't have either method done again. Loc-tite using a tight slip-fit with a cone breach (while you're set up in the lathe & no longer have a mill) would get you started.

Ggmac likes this.
  3. drover

drover

Search out a Remington 540 barrel or an Anschutz barrel and use one of them, either one should give you more than adequate accuracy. Try a "Want To Buy" ad at rimfirecentral.com and also at steelchickens.com and I'll bet you can have another barrel in a flash. I just remembered that I have a spare barrel that is a proven shooter that may work for you but if that interests you send me a PM and we can discuss it there.

Either pin it or Loc-Tite it, or do both if you don't feel comfortable with one or the other. Anschutz has been setting records or years with pinned barrels, although their are a very tight press fit, but Loc-Tite would give the same results as a tight press fit.

When you say cylinder cut I assume you are referring to a barrel that is the same diameter for its full length. If so consider buying a barrel with some taper to it, adjust the trigger to 2 lbs, keep the total rifle/scope weight under 7-1/2 lbs and you can use the same rifle in both Hunter and Standard class, that way you only need one rifle for both classes. Forget the 24 inch barrel, go with what it takes to get the balance right. A 22 l.r. reaches peak velocity in a 16 inch barrel after that it is beginning to slow down, the longer barrel you have the more opportunity there is to go off target before the bullet exits the barrel. I went to just one rifle for both disciplines years ago, as soon as I went to just one rifle my scores in both improved. There is a lot to be said about using the same rifle time after time, pretty soon there are no surprises.

Why not just use the 580 stock, all that would entail is opening up the barrel channel.

drover

4. SheepDog

The total hunters silhouette weight is 8.5 pounds overall (or less than) and the silhouette rifle is limited to just over 10 pounds.
    I can freeze the barrel and heat the action for a good press fit but I would still pin it. The 581 uses two pins and I would use them both. (kind of anal about those things) I use Loc-Tite products a lot but I wouldn't trust it on a barrel.
    The reason for the cylindrical barrel is to have as much mass in front to help with wind. My trigger is well below 4 pounds that I use on all my other guns and it is on the verge of being too light for me. I only shoot in the hunters class so the gun would be fine in the silhouette rifle class. That 16 inch barrel rule does not stand up to chronograph tests that I have done. You can get close to 80 or 90% of the maximum velocity from a 16 inch barrel but with high velocity ammo you not only get more velocity but the deviation comes down with the longer barrel. I may not be able to use the full 24 inch due to weight concerns but I want it at least 22 which is what the 581 has currently.
    I might consider using the existing stock but it gets thin at the fore end and there may not be enough wood for a heavy barrel.
    I have found both Lija and PacNor barrels in 10 and 12 twist rates for rim fire (all the way up to 6 twist) in a standard 6 groove configuration. I am considering the 12 twist rather than the 10 right now. A 22" barrel will weigh less than 5 pounds. I have to get the exact measurements for the diameter of the action and the breech nipple to get any closer than that.
    Would there be any advantage to bedding the action? I can see the theoretic advantage but it is a 22 rimfire so I am questioning it.

5. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

http://njshooting.tripod.com/FITTING A .22 RIMFIRE BARREL.htm

It's obviously your choice, but I've been using an Anschutz 54 with a Douglas barrel secured with Loc-Tite 609 (and no pins) for 4 years with no problems.
    The use of pins has been successfully done by Remington and Anschutz, though I suspect the interference fit used by Anschutz is more responsible for holding their factory barrels in place.
    I'll be watching with interest to see your outcome.

6. SheepDog

I am used to using pins in everything from guns to hydraulics. You still need a good fit (probably better than with Loc-Tite) but as long as there is less than .001" "slop" the pins do a fair job of locking things up. I will go for a snug press fit to a zero interference fit. After all I may need to align the extractor slots.
    I'll have to try to get good pictures as I go. I don't usually take the time to get pictures as I am too focused on getting things done right. Photography is a distraction for me. I will try to remember.

7. AlexRobinson

AlexRobinson

coopers, CZ 452

8. Average joe

Average joe Gold $$ Contributor

Hunter rifle silhouette requires a tapered barrel.