22-250ai ?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by calib, Feb 13, 2012.

1. calib

calib

when i was shooting the 40 grains of reloader 22 i was getting 3190, now i am up to 42.2 grains and still doing well with tight groups, but havent run it over the chrony yet, my buddy in orofino has it at the moment.

2. rich44

rich44 Silver $$ Contributor

Mine is just about there next trip to the range should do it 3000 fps with my fireform loads of 75gr Amax and H4831sc the formed brass should get me where I want to be velocity wise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

I think I posted this in the thread already,

However in my 22-250AI I used IMR 4831 with the 80gr SMK

41grs gave me 3360fps with that bullet. Very accurate and very flat shooting. Did the number on a couple pronghorns this past week!

4. calib

calib

today i loaded up a couple more sets of 4. i did a set of 42.4 grains and one at 42.7 grains. this is the last of the bergers i have, i am working on getting some more.

i have tried the 80 grain a max's with no luck. i couldn't really get what i wanted out of them. i would like to stay with the reloader 22 if i can in this cartridge since that is what i am shooting in my 243 ai with great accuracy as well as my buddies 300 weatherby that i have been loading for. i know there has been variables reported about this powder, but i have not seen it in my shooting.

5. Yotecallr

Yotecallr Take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger

I used Winchester white box 22-250 factory loads to fire form my brass. It's a wicked coyote killer from what I hear. I wish I still had mine.

6. calib

calib

waiting on some more bergers to get here, may try some of the 75 grain a max's

7. calib

calib

i am hoping these a max's work out fairly easily they are way cheaper than the bergers, though i do like how the bergers fly when loaded rite

8. Flybuster

Flybuster Silver $$ Contributor

Hornady also makes a 75 BTHP, they are priced just right and shoot good.

9. rich44

rich44 Silver $$ Contributor

Cheaper and shoot better than the Bergers out of both my 22-250AI's they also can really do some damage to a ground hog, although I never really had much luck with the 80gr Amax on groundhogs they just seem to make a hole in and out unlike the 75's that turn them inside out sometimes

10. calib

calib

i have shot the 80's and they didnt seem to like my gun, so i tried the 75 bergs and worked ok, so now i have a box of the a max's 75 i will load some up today.

11. calib

calib

well made it to the range today and shot a ragged one ragged hole including the flyer that i pulled 5 shot group

it was with 42 grains reloader 22 and the 75 a max. i am wondering what that speed could be out of a 30" barrel since i dont have my chrony rite now.

i will have to read back through, but was wondering if anyone else has used reloader 22 with these bullets and what your load was, i have room for more powder and think i may be able to get something on a higher node possibly

12. Wrangler John

Wrangler John

I built a .22-250 AI as a stunt. Used a 24" Pac-Nor 1:9" twist barrel with the Rem Nut (allows swap barrel with a Savage wrench) and muzzle brake on a new 700 action that was modified to my specifications (double sleeved bolt, bushed firing pin, pinned .250" recoil lug, fitted lugs, Jewel trigger, etc). Solved the fire forming problem with a custom Hornady Hydraulic Forming Die. The die was made to match my chamber reamer drawing and three fired cases. Also had a custom FL die set matched up at the same time. Brass formed in the Hydraulic Forming Die shoots exactly the same as fireformed brass, needs no special loading techniques as headspace is correct right out of the die. One advantage of the Rem Nut is that if the headspace was a tad loose, it could be reset to match by adjusting the barrel, eliminating any fiddling with the dies, however it functioned fine set to the standard GO gauge.

Rifle was built to use lead free bullets, especially 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades, with Varget and H-380 it will hold less than .5" for ten shot groups at 100 yards, velocity at 3,737 fps and explosive terminal performance. Seating depth most important accuracy factor with Varmint Grenades, which need long jump. Because of location I use lead free bullets from Barnes and Nosler exclusively. I have found these bullets generally to be as or slightly more accurate than lead core bullets, so there is no need to experiment beyond using them.

Muzzle brake allows me to see impact on ground squirrels. First outing was extremely satisfying as there were no misses, only flying squirrel anatomy and visible shock waves.

I wouldn't do the build again, the .22-250 AI, or even the standard cartridge, offers no advantage over the .204 Ruger or the .223 Remington for the majority of my varmint hunting. When the need is for 300 yard + shooting, I use a custom .243 WSSM on a Savage Target Action with a 26" 1:8" Brux barrel, using 62 grain Varmint Grenades it is more accurate than the various 224's and is so explosive that squirrels stuffed on wet alfalfa vanish - I mean vanish, not even a blood smear, the ground they were on appears to have been rototilled by bullet and squirrel fragments. Even slightly low misses at long range with either .224 or .243 Varmint Grenades will kill squirrels as the explosive bullet fragmentation sends enough shrapnel through them to do the job. One was partially decapitated by splinters from a near miss with the .243 WSSM on a oak tree root at a little over 200 yards, where the bullet passed along the bark underneath his neck (see photos below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ackman

Ackman

What "fire forming problem?" One of my current 22-250AI's, I fireformed 1,000 cases with RL15 and 50gr BT's @ 4113. That's a working load, killed a lot of stuff. From 37.0-38.5 gr., largest groups were in mid .3"s. There's no "fireforming problem" with an AI. Work up to best accuracy then load and go hunting. PMC brass, 450 primers.

14. calib

calib

damn hornady's

the reason i am having a pain with the hornady's is because yesterday i went out and shot 4- 3 shot groups. every group the third shot went 1.5" low and right, but the first two bullets were great at 200 yards. group one =.5" group 2=.25" group 3=.125" group 4=.5" i was trying 43-43.5 grains of re loader 22 over federal lrm primers. i will now be trying 43.0 grains of reloader 22 with br-2 primers with the 75 amax again, but varying different seating depths. i dont know what would cause consistent low right flyer, but cant figure it out.

15. calib

calib

working on forming 50 pieces of new brass to see if i can get rid of my lyer issue also i picked up some more powder gonna try 4350

16. calib

calib

well after bedding my rifle (first bedding job ever) i loaded up some 4350 loads with the 75 a max and was getting real decent groups, no flyers or bs. my gun was even shooting my fire forming loads half the size of what i was getting before the bed job. still working on the perfect load.

17. Flybuster

Flybuster Silver $$ Contributor

So skim bedding your duramaxx stock got rid of the fliers. Or were the fliers with your old stock?

18. calib

calib

skim bedding got rid of my fliers as well as i think trying some different brass helped out also. skim bedding did help though noticeably

19. calib

calib

i am running 39.9 grain of 4350 rite now under the 75 grain amax running about 3300, i am wondering if i should be able to push it much faster and hit another accurate load. i have a long barrel and am not worried about burning it out too much, but would like to have it last for a couple years hunting and shooting some steel

20. calib

calib

made up some more rounds with the 75's still haven't gotten out to shoot them. need to swap scopes and then re site in and will be rocking