22-250ai ?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by calib, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bozo699

bozo699

I am loading like hell right now for a shoot in Montana this weekend, when is your next shoot? and how many rounds am I gonna need?
    Wayne.

2. Flybuster

Flybuster Silver $$ Contributor

I'm shooting a 600-1000 F-Class in Vale this weekend, but the following weekend we're having a 600YRD BR. I usually bring ~50 rounds. We're giving away two Remington 700 actions at the match; one for best group agg and one for best score. Here is more info on the matches: http://snakeriver600yardbenchrest.weebly.com/index.html

3. calib

calib

yeah, i am already looking for another job, but i want to keep this one cause i get huge discounts.

wayne,
    i didn't know if you were asking me or tanner, but my next shoot is labor day and if you do both big and small game you will need 28 shots for big game and 26 rounds for small game ( this is needed if you miss all of your first round shots). if you can hit every shot first round cut all those numbers in half.

4. Flybuster

Good deal, yeah that's what I meant to say, have two jobs! I bet Wayne was talking to you.

5. bozo699

bozo699

Tanner I was talking to Calib, I quoted the wrong post sorry about that although I would like to come to one of yours also, I am done with my shoots after this weekend and am looking forward to some new shoots, I am lined up to go to calibs next shoot if work don't get in the way, vacations have been cancelled left and right due to people being out on injuries mine didn't get cancelled this time but it did in July, hope to see both of you soon.
    Wayne.

6. calib

calib

sounds good, tell your guys to quit faking it. we will all get together shooting here soon.

i am having to possibly look for a nother place to hold my shoots up here depending on what i can get worked up about the crp problem

7. calib

calib

i got the rifle all together for rite now i have a vortex 8-32 power on there for load development had to open up the barrel channel and still need to stain and finish the exposed wood, but its all there and together now.

8. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker

I got around to chronographing my H4350 75amax load today and I am satisfied with my results. It might be a tad on the warm side but it's running 3450 from a26" barrel according to the new magnetospeed and it's accurate so far with limited testing. Keep us posted Calib.
    Jason

9. Gonzos

Gonzos Gold $$ Contributor

I have a 12 twist 22-250 Imp. and it is super accurate with 50 to 60 grain bullets (and that is what I wanted it for). With fire formed brass I use 40 grains of Varget and a 52 grain Nosler CC. It shoots in the low two's and I get 4 or 5 firings out of the brass before it goes into the recycle bucket.

I have shot some of the heavier bullets and it shoots fine - the only problem is I throated it for the shorter bullets so when shooting the 75 and 80 grain stuff I have to seat the bullet very deep into the case.

I think you will be very happy with the 12 twist and what you intend to use it for.

10. calib

calib

gonzos,
    i built the 1:12 for my buddy, i am dealing with a 1:8 twist for my gun in a 30"

11. calib

calib

went out today and got the gun sighted in and shot some groups, rocks and tweety getting brass formed. with some thrown together loads i was getting decent groups fire forming. the best group at 100 yards i had three consecutive shots touching, worst was about 1.5" using the 80 grain a max. wanted to get some formed brass before i try the 75 grain bergers and try to get some good a max loads built. the rifle shot great, it was comfortable and kicked very little, less than a factory 22-250 i had a year or two ago.

12. bozo699

bozo699

I can't believe a 1:12 will stabelize a 80 grain bullet, sometimes a 1:9 is marginal for that, and I get wayyyy more loadings then 3 or 4 why would you bother f.f a improved case just to have less case life then the factory chambering, I bet I have 30 firings on my AI brass I load it hot so the primer pockets are getting loose but the brass is fine other then that, I must be missing something here!
    Wayne.

13. calib

calib

i was wondering how that works out too getting so low of load count on the brass

14. calib

calib

finally getting some time to get some loads built up for this gun. first ones since i have formed the brass. i am gonna load some up with different powder charges and go shoot them before work and see what i can do with them. once i find the powder load that looks best then ill play with length

15. calib

calib

its been a little bit since i have shot the last set of loads i built up. i am running 40 grains of reloader 22 with the 75 grain berger rite now and when i had that at the range before i left to put on the hells canyon shoot i had a nickle sized 4 shot group. i will try to tighten that up a little bit, but i was happy for the weekend with that since i shot a coyote on the way to the shoot at 366. i didnt even know my muzzle velocity at the time.

16. rich44

rich44 Silver $$ Contributor

Glad you are getting some loads worked up, I just got mine all together I think I will start with the 75gr Amax and H-4831 my other 22-250AI likes that load,

17. calib

calib

let me know how they work out for you

18. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

I worked up a load in my 22-250AI this week-end. It was 37 grains of Varget with a 52 grain Berger. Very accurate at 100 yds. Chrony took a dump so I couldn't get FPS. No ill effects from the rifle in the way of abnormal pressure signs.

19. calib

calib

i just shot up a few more loads this weekend with the 75 grain bergers and got some pretty decent groups at 100 yards 2 or 3 real good groups out of 5 different loads i made playing with powder charge had two groups where all bullet holes where touching

dogs beter watch out this winter for a fair distance, this gun already has one blood on it

20. Flybuster

Sounds like quite a combination. Did you run them over your chrony?